The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-27-2009, 09:58 PM

Default A review of the RainSong OM-1000

This is a kind of black liquid elegance meets technology and falls in love, story. The RainSong OM-1000 looks tall in the same way that a man wearing a pin-striped suit looks tall, and not as deep as some, with softly rounded edges and a modern cutaway. The graphite weave is beautiful and more “open” looking than others I’ve seen, creating a three dimensional fabric look locked in a crystalline gloss. Its craftsmanship and attention to detail are obvious and everywhere. Stunning powder-blue abalone rings the fairly large centered sound hole, and a series of little shark icons are used as fret markers. Silver Gotoh tuners are employed on an understated jet black headstock.

The RainSong offerings are probably the most architecturally traditional looking of the latest crop of carbon-fiber guitars.

And then you lift this amazingly light work of art from its guitar stand, swing the strap over your head, and wrap your arms around it. Oooo… It’s smooth. Slippery smooth, really. You’re glad you’ve used a strap, even though you’re gonna sit down. No “belly cut” here.

Wrap your mitt around that neck and you’re sure to form an opinion almost immediately. The neck of the RainSong OM-1000 is very thin (front to back) and plainly designed to appeal to folks who’ve spent some time on a modern electric guitar neck such as the Wizzard II™ and liked it! Think… shredding fast, effortlessly fast, light, and smooth. The frets are really well dressed – the best I’ve seen yet on a carbon fiber guitar – and the all-graphite board is inviting. This feel is going to tempt some acoustic guitar playing speed freaks really powerfully.

Strum it and she sings out in a pure even tone with a sparkle in the upper-mids. Flat-pick it, and you’ll hear articulation enough to warrant that amazingly fast neck. Mind you, if you’re looking for that sound, the particular attack and overtones created by the marriage of a specifically braced top and a rosewood or mahogany back and sides, I’m going to suggest you buy that guitar. But at the other end of the spectrum are a ton of players with cravings not weighted quite so specifically.

Although sweet and lush and shimmering with a flat-pick, its voice seems perhaps a bit too soft when finger-picked. If I were to place a slight disadvantage on OM-1000, that’d be it.

The RainSong OM-1000 offers built-for-speed agility, the comfort of a smaller guitar, a shimmering upper-mid voice that’s a little more intimate than their dreadnought, good tonal balance very similar for both the player and audience, amazing looks and build quality, and an L.R. Baggs pick-up with on-board pre-amp.

Give this guitar a try.

buzzardwhiskey

PS: Thanks to MacNichol Guitars and Mandolins for the chance to demo this new guitar.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:10 PM

I played one at a local store and the thing I noticed about it is that you when you play fingerstyle on it you really have to dig in. When I dug in I was shown the true potential of this beauty. I has a beautiful bass that rumbled my stomach and wonderful trebles as well. It played great all the way up the neck. I'm thinking when I get the funds that I may just have to buy this guitar, hopefully it's still at the store...
Old 04-28-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D View Post
I played one at a local store and the thing I noticed about it is that you when you play fingerstyle on it you really have to dig in. When I dug in I was shown the true potential of this beauty. I has a beautiful bass that rumbled my stomach and wonderful trebles as well. It played great all the way up the neck. I'm thinking when I get the funds that I may just have to buy this guitar, hopefully it's still at the store...
Hold off until you can try the new (releasing May 2nd) CA OX... it looks to be amazing (and cheap!)
Old 04-28-2009, 12:32 AM

Interesting review, thankyou.
Any photos?
Old 04-28-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayn View Post
Interesting review, thankyou.
Any photos?
No photos, sorry. I'm going to try my hand at video reviews soon.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:09 AM

Great review! Very well said. I have the WS 1000 and feel exactly the same way about it. The WS however also fingerpicks very nicely.

These are great guitars and, IMHO, do not get enough attention or love on this forum. I would really encourage anyone interested in a carbon fiber guitar, to give Rainsong a try
Old 04-28-2009, 06:34 PM

I've had one for 8 years, quite a sweet guitar. Rainsongs are tailor-made (excuse near-pun) for altered tunings, as they are so stiff that they don't move around when you're detuning some strings. I've had mine as a de-facto baritone, tuned to C w/medium strings.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benplaut View Post
Hold off until you can try the new (releasing May 2nd) CA OX... it looks to be amazing (and cheap!)
I will. I'm not to far from Artisan so hopefully they will have one. I don't have any money though and need to get a job. A composite guitar would be perfect for me as a college student who wants to play guitar more but can't because he is at school. I don't know why I'm writing like that. I think it's because I have one last final...
Old 04-28-2009, 08:10 PM

I too have a Rainsong OM-1000 and have been enjoying it a lot this winter, not caring one bit about the humidity and playing it practically every day and several times in church where people marveled at its plugged-in sound. Only now am I ready to bring my wooden guitars out--they wintered in their cases in a humidity-conditioned room!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber