The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-21-2001, 02:28 PM
Shea

Post 800 series ???

I really like the sounds of the 800 series guitars, but I am having a hard time coming to terms with the stark white binding that graces the fingerboard and sides of the body. Does anybody feel the same as me about this? Has anyone seen one made without it? I would like to get one someday, but without that type of binding if it is possible.

Shea
Old 02-21-2001, 02:58 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Unless you're just really enamored with the split diamond inlays, I'd suggest looking at the 700 series. These guitars have the rosewood binding and Engelmann spruce tops.
Old 02-21-2001, 03:00 PM

Exclamation

700 Series - Rosewood/Spruce - Rosewood Binding - Koa Rosette - Less Expensive

900 Series - Rosewood/Spruce - Ivoroid (classic plastic)Binding - Lots of Inlay - More Expensive

The white binding is a Bob Taylor favorite, on his favorite series. Don't think it will change.

------------------
George Wilson
Old 02-21-2001, 03:31 PM
Nichols Custom Inlay

Hi Shea,
As George said,and as told to me by Taylor as well, the 800 series is considered to be the classic Bob Taylor guitar and would unlikely see any changes. I had called and asked about getting a wood binding on an 814 and Taylor told me "just buy a new 714". Of course that light had not gone on in my brain until they said it.
Old 02-21-2001, 03:37 PM

In addition to what JR & George mentioned, the different series also have different grades of rosewood which also factor into the price differences in the models. While sonically, I probably can't hear the difference, the 900 series, IMHO, has a more stunning looking rosewood (more purplish and redish hues, tighter grain, etc.) than the 700 series with the 800 series falling somewhere in between. At the tour they had the rosewood backs for the 700, 800 & 900 series on display on the same shelf and you really can see the difference.

With that said, I like JR's suggestion. The new 700 series look and sound great. I actually prefer them over the 800 series.

GL

Old 02-21-2001, 05:17 PM

Shea,

I'm glad that someone feels the way I do. The plastic binding is one of the reasons I sold my 814ce. I just couldn't get over all the plastic (electronics included)! A new 714c appeals to me.
Old 02-21-2001, 10:43 PM

I am soooooooo pumped about a wood bound rose,spruce,714 Taylor, maybe even A 712. Best move for Taylor I can think of. Can't wait to see one for realzeez....
Old 02-21-2001, 10:55 PM

Quote:
wood bound rose,spruce,714 ...Can't wait to see one for realzeez....[/B]
Me, too. I'm still wavering (see 814 vs 714 thread), but starting to think it's really the 714 I want.

But I'm confused. When I asked for advise here, somebody said that spruce was NOT an option for the 700 series, only cedar? Or did I misunderstand?

Oh, if only they'd hurry up and get those catalogs out!!!

~ Paul
Old 02-21-2001, 11:26 PM

Although the catalog has both the 714 and 714ce standard with cedar top, I know you can order one with the engelmann instead. NO CHARGE. If a dealer tries to charge you for this, go to another dealer who isn't trying to rip you off.
When I was visiting my dealer Monday, he showed me the "custom options" list. There is no charge for top changes. Amazing is this includes matching woods for the K and W series. So I can order a K14 with a koa top, no extra charge! Tempting.......
They had a few of the newbies. First sight, I didn't like them. But as I kept browsing the understated elegance was starting to win me over. Still don't like the 500 and 700 series looking the same from the front. When I see someone playing one, I want to know what model it is.
Old 02-22-2001, 03:03 AM

Talking

Shea, I agree with your thoughts on the 800 series binding, it took me a while before I would consider this series. However, like you said the series has a great sound. After a while the binding seems like no big deal and it does not bother me anymore on my 810. The sound just wins you over. Still the tortoiseshell binding that is on the K series and others is a better look IMHO.
I think Bob wants the look of the 800 series to mirror more of the traditional sitka/Indian look of the Martin series etc. I also prefer the MOP markers to the simple dots on the 700 series. Just IMHO.
Old 02-22-2001, 10:22 AM

I have always had the opinion that the 800 series is Taylor's nod to Martin's style 28 since, arguably, the D-28 is the most recognizable modern steel string acoustic guitar. Taylor has written that one of his first "Taylor" guitars made was an 810, which he still owns. I believe the inlays came later, but am not sure. I owned an 814CE and initially did not care for the binding. I don't care for style 28 either. The 814CE was still a great guitar. Go with what makes you more comfortable. But don't assume that a 700 series guitar is an 800 series guitar with different binding. there are grading differences in the woods, regardless of top choice.
Old 02-22-2001, 10:48 AM

I very much dislike the white binding ... and like the Ivoroid only slightly better ... one reason I've gotten quite a few Goodalls with wood binding (my favorite is ebony). Of course, it hasn't kept me from getting Taylors.
Old 02-22-2001, 11:07 AM

Hi,
I'm not much of a fan of the white binding either which is one of the reasons I decided not to purchase a 400 series; i'm sure the cream colored binding looks better this year though.

Derek

By the way J.R; love the new format here.

14fret 0
12fret 000
Old 02-23-2001, 02:14 PM

Hi,

I like the white binding!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification