The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-27-2008, 01:38 PM

Default Song I'm submitting for the forum CD

The track I'm submitting for the forum CD can be found here: [song deleted - thanks for your comments]

What do you think of the EQ, compression and reverb? There are a few things I want to tweak, but I'm curious what your ears think.

Thanks,
Bryan

Last edited by Bryan T; 02-29-2008 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:45 PM

Is the download working?
Old 02-27-2008, 03:56 PM

Hi Bryan. I just downloaded your Harp Song, and listened to it. So yes, the download is working.

I thought your playing was very tasteful and your tune very soothing. As for the EQ, reverb and compression, I am a neophyte at recording and mixing, so I can't offer any technical advice. But it all sounded good to me! Good job!

Frank
Old 02-27-2008, 03:57 PM

It is working. I can't help much with your mix, and I'm not sure its even appropriate to critique a song that is being submitted. Good luck with it though.

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardism View Post
I'm not sure its even appropriate to critique a song that is being submitted.
Why wouldn't it be? Should I delete the thread?

Bryan
Old 02-27-2008, 05:00 PM

Bryan:

Good job - I think the tone, intonation, and effects (very subtle) are all very well done.

The song itself is a personal call, of course. My only comment about execution may be that a couple of the figures seem a bit rushed, not allowing the phrases to breathe; again, that is subjective/interpretive, only..
Old 02-27-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickgm60 View Post
Bryan:

Good job - I think the tone, intonation, and effects (very subtle) are all very well done.
Thanks. I'm not entirely thrilled with the recording quality (EQ, compression, and reverb mainly), so it's helpful to get some feedback. I might rerecord with some different strings to get rid of squeaks and some high end noise on the unwound strings that bugs me. I A/B compared it to some other recordings and was surprised at how much reverb solo guitar often is mixed with.

Bryan
Old 02-27-2008, 05:23 PM

Sorry that I can't help you with any recording advice, but I just want to say I loved your playing and the song! Thanks for sharing!
Btw, I listed with a good pair of headphones and the mix sounds great to me, and usually I'm pretty critical. Are you using your Goodall?

Last edited by MarkN; 02-27-2008 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkN View Post
Sorry that I can't help you with any recording advice, but I just want to say I loved your playing and the song! Thanks for sharing!
Btw, I listed with a good pair of headphones and the mix sounds great to me, and usually I'm pretty critical. Are you using your Goodall?
Thanks for checking it out. I'm starting work on my next CD, so this recording was a good excuse to try different things in the studio.

The guitar is a Lowden O25 cedar/rosewood that I bought a few months ago. I miss the Goodall, but the Lowden is a better fit for my playing.

Bryan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell