View Single Post
Old 01-12-2020, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Sometimes getting info like this can be difficult from Emerald. In the past I've had to badger them at times for info on custom orders. I think (like in this case) they couldn't answer my questions just because when it comes to customs they don't know the answer as there is no similar guitar in front of them at the time from which to take measurements.

A year ago I could have helped you as I owned an X20 custom and X7 custom, both with 24.6" scales. But both have moved on. I can tell you that from a "short scale, easy to play, go anywhere" perspective the X7 custom would be a better way to go, especially if you went with the standard 24.0" scale. The X7 body while smaller than the X20 is still decent size and has a lot of volume and tone. It also has the backside cutaway which is great for access to the upper frets.

The X20 would certainly have a better tone across the spectrum so if that's important than you could go with the X20 custom with 24.0" scale. You are correct in that custom orders are expensive. You might want to go the used route for now just to try a few out. Buy used for a good price with the intention of trying for a while and then selling it off to try another or make your custom order once you finalize your specs. Who knows, you might even end up with one that fits your needs perfectly and you would have saved time and money.

My custom X20 just popped up and sold pretty quick in the classifieds so I don't know where it's going but that person could likely get you the measurements you're looking for once the guitar arrives.