Thread: Tuner Etiquette
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2022, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

I recently attended a show where a big name artist was playing a solo show. He came out and took his beautiful, custom guitar out of the Carlton case and proceeded to place a headstock tuner on and tune the guitar. Then he kicked into his first song AND LEFT THE FREAKING TUNER ON THE HEADSTOCK! I couldn't believe it. Surely, he must have just forgotten. So I calmed down and then he played a second song WITH THE TUNER STILL ON THE HEADSTOCK!

Needless to say, I walked out in disgust. I couldn't stand the look of that little plastic thing on the headstock of that gorgeous custom guitar. How unprofessional. I demanded my money back and then as soon as I got home I left a scathing review of the event online. Oh, no. Wait, none of that happened. Yes, the artist left the tuner on the headstock but for some odd reason it didn't bother me one bit and I enjoyed the show immensely. Go figure.

I'm currently using a 'Clingon' tuner system which attaches to the back of the headstock via a magnetic disk connection. Works great and I don't have to worry about offending anyone at our shows although I can say that even back when I was using/leaving on a headstock tuner that no one ever came up to me and said I shouldn't do that.