View Single Post
Old 09-26-2021, 05:29 AM
Charter Member

Since you mention comfort as a factor and playing at home (so no travel) I'd say Emerald X7. Small body, short scale, extremely comfortable and great tone. Also, tons of options for colors and even more cool woody tops if you are will to pay or keep an eye out for a used one. I've owned many an Emerald and they are great guitars. I've never owned the McPherson Touring model but I bet it sounds very good as well. I have owned a couple Journey OF660's and they were also great guitars. If you ever plan to travel, especially by plane, then the OF660 is the winner hands down. For the best amplified tone and a more classic look, then the new RainSong Vintage series with the genuine spruce infused tops are great looking (in a more conventional, wood guitar way) and sound great. The wood fused top brings a significant warmth to the guitars and the LR Baggs Anthem StagePro pickup systems are the best I've played short of my Cole Clark guitars. Sounds like you don't plan to play amplified though so you could always get a non-pickup model and save a few bucks. The street price on a new one would be just under $3k. The Shorty model scale is technically a little longer than 24.5" but because it's a 12 fret neck on a 14 fret body, it feels and plays like a much shorter scale. That along with the thinner body makes it feel smaller but with a bigger sound. Of all the CF guitars I've owned, the RainSong Nashville OM Shorty is my all-time favorite for tone. Emerald wins for ergonomics and looks. OF660 wins for travel.