View Single Post
Old 07-06-2018, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tøf View Post
Alistair didn’t tell me about this mold sample possibility. I sent drawings I’ve done myself (based upon Collings info that I slightly modified) with profiles and measurements at the 1st, 9th and 12th fret. Not sure how it’s translated from a production perspective... it would be interesting to get more details
In my case it was not a perfect situation in that I no longer had the SC guitar with the soft V neck that I so adored. Instead, I had a SC 1929 guitar that had their standard V which is decidedly sharp at the V apex. They sent me a polymer compound that you put into boiling water (in a bag) and it melts. Then you apply it around you neck two frets down from the headstock with some protective painters tape around the neck to protect the finish. Let harden and remove and sent it back to Emerald.

To best simulate the soft V I told Sean to tell Alistair to shave off a little of the material around the V apex, somewhere between .125" and .250". He really nailed it. The result is extremely close (as I recall) to the SC soft V neck. I'm hoping he made a full mold of my completed X20 neck so as to be able to duplicate it for another custom woody, this time an X7. Waiting to hear on that now as he's on holiday.