Thread: What is this?
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadfulnaught View Post
That headstock logo has come up on this forum before. I don’t recall anyone ever identifying it. FWIW, this is a LOT like (though not identical to) our beloved Marlboro Points Guitars. I’m looking at mine right now and if they are not from the same factory I’ll eat my hat. Could that logo be a stylized M, from before cigarette advertising on giveaways was banned? This could be an early Marlboro COPD model. Here’s a link to their logo, you be the judge.....

https://imgbin.com/png/AHXe5Wsr/marl...ette-brand-png

BTW, these guitars are not bad. They’re useable approximate D-28 knockoffs that are good campfire/bar gig guitars that don’t break the bank.

Thanks so much, Dreadfulnaught. That's the most helpful info I've received so far. The logo thing is really compelling. The only thing that leads me away from this being a Marlboro guitar is the fingerboard where it meets the soundhole. Mine is just like the one in the ShopGoodwill listing with a bound squared off edge. All the Marlboro guitars I've seen have the concave cut to match the round on the soundhole. It's certainly possible that there is more than one iteration of the Marlboro guitar, but I've only seen ONE positively identified version, and each appears to have identical features, but of course mine does not.

The mystery continues.

What does your fretboard edge look like?

BTW, my fascination with identifying this guitar is that the one I own is an amazing guitar! It is built like a tank, but sounds and plays like a work of art. Maybe I just got lucky, but I've heard others say similar things about theirs. Still, I have yet to find anyone who knows ANYTHING about their specimens or mine.

Thanks again.

Simon & Patrick, Larrivee, Guild, Martin, Taylor, Gibson, Breedlove, Epiphone, and others plus a Mystery Guitar