The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-10-2019, 06:48 PM

Default What is this?

Does anyone know DEFINITIVELY anything about who makes this guitar? Please no guesses. Any info would be greatly appreciated! I ALREADY have one of these and absolutely love it, but I know nothing about mine.

Here are pictures of one that currently for sale.

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/71776030

John

Simon & Patrick, Larrivee, Guild, Martin, Taylor, Gibson, Breedlove and others plus a Mystery Guitar

Last edited by jylarkin; 07-10-2019 at 10:16 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 07-10-2019, 07:18 PM

No idea. Have you attempted to look all around inside the sound hole for clues? The headstock unfortunately is no help to anyone but a guitar guru.

I've visited this site for years out of idle curiosity. If you have the time you may discover something useful there -

http://jedistar.com/
Old 07-10-2019, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Those full on cracks on both sides of the fingerboard are a sign of serious damage.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:00 PM

Unless you want a wall hanger or a fixer upper, I'd run. Fast. Especially with the cracks where they are.

No idea what kind of guitar it is
CPX700IIs-12 (sold)
FG160 (wall hanger)
LL16M ARE (sold)
AC3R gen 1 (sold)
A5R (sold)
FGX730SC
LLX6A
LS16 (traded away)
CSF1M TBS
A1M
FGX5
SLG110S (sold)
SLG200S
Revstar 502T
Pacifica 012
Weddington Special

Eastman E1OM

Ibanez AW54CE

Takamine P5DC
Old 07-10-2019, 08:06 PM

It’s a crap laminate Korean made guitar. I’ve seen a few with that inlay.
1976 Martin 000-18
1989 Martin 000-16M
2015 Martin 00-DB Jeff Tweedy
2012 Gibson J-45 Custom
2017 Gibson J-35
1971 Alvarez K. Yairi Classical
1970 Lou J Mancuso nylon string hybrid
Harmony Sovereign H1260
30's MayBell Model 6
Nash MW-500
1984 Mini Jumbo Tony Graciano
Old 07-10-2019, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

IMO those tuners give it away as an entry-level Asian import from a rather unfortunate era.
Even if it didn't have all those cracks in critical places I would not bother bidding on it.

It doesn't look worth what it would cost to fix it.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
No idea. Have you attempted to look all around inside the sound hole for clues? The headstock unfortunately is no help to anyone but a guitar guru.

I've visited this site for years out of idle curiosity. If you have the time you may discover something useful there -

http://jedistar.com/
Thanks for the resource, Pitar.

Simon & Patrick, Larrivee, Guild, Martin, Taylor, Gibson, Breedlove and others plus a Mystery Guitar
Old 07-11-2019, 08:07 AM

That headstock logo has come up on this forum before. I don’t recall anyone ever identifying it. FWIW, this is a LOT like (though not identical to) our beloved Marlboro Points Guitars. I’m looking at mine right now and if they are not from the same factory I’ll eat my hat. Could that logo be a stylized M, from before cigarette advertising on giveaways was banned? This could be an early Marlboro COPD model. Here’s a link to their logo, you be the judge.....

https://imgbin.com/png/AHXe5Wsr/marl...ette-brand-png

BTW, these guitars are not bad. They’re useable approximate D-28 knockoffs that are good campfire/bar gig guitars that don’t break the bank.

Also, from the location of some of the cracks, it looks like the neck block has come loose and rotated forward. It DOES have a certain value, though. It would be a good deed if someone would buy this and donate it to a luthiers school, so students could learn how to do this repair!
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model
Old 07-11-2019, 09:14 AM

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=182821

(The Zombie thread.)

Interesting resemblance to inverted Epiphone Sheritan II fret markers?

Image source: http://www.epiphone.com/news-feature...-joe-pass.aspx
'05 Larrivée 0M-03 Custom (bear claw/hog), '13 Kronbauer TDK 285 MJ Custom (koa), '94 Froggy Bottom Custom (koa) dread', '08 Seagull Artist (EIR), '19 Gnome Blues Custom (EIR/T13? redwood), '78 S. Yairi 726 (hog), '84 K Yairi AR377, 1905 Vega parlor (hog), 60's Stella,'94 Saudi Tele', '79 Epi Genesis

"Your sound is in your hands ... ... more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." - SRV

Last edited by Blind Dog; 07-11-2019 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Removal of OP-prohibited "guess" ;)
Old 07-11-2019, 10:28 AM

A Korean built Squire Bullet had similar tuners. And there are different button styles.

https://www.fuzzfaced.net/squier-bullet-korea.html

And this company sells replacements. They might have relevant info.
Made in the same factory as Wilkinson range of tuners. They may only offer speculation tho.

https://www.northwestguitars.co.uk/v...ctric-guitars/

Good luck.

BTW: imo people who say they're crap guitars, seem in conflict with those who (in reality) have played them. Actual players disagreeing with posters .)
'05 Larrivée 0M-03 Custom (bear claw/hog), '13 Kronbauer TDK 285 MJ Custom (koa), '94 Froggy Bottom Custom (koa) dread', '08 Seagull Artist (EIR), '19 Gnome Blues Custom (EIR/T13? redwood), '78 S. Yairi 726 (hog), '84 K Yairi AR377, 1905 Vega parlor (hog), 60's Stella,'94 Saudi Tele', '79 Epi Genesis

"Your sound is in your hands ... ... more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." - SRV
Old 07-11-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadfulnaught View Post
That headstock logo has come up on this forum before. I don’t recall anyone ever identifying it. FWIW, this is a LOT like (though not identical to) our beloved Marlboro Points Guitars. I’m looking at mine right now and if they are not from the same factory I’ll eat my hat. Could that logo be a stylized M, from before cigarette advertising on giveaways was banned? This could be an early Marlboro COPD model. Here’s a link to their logo, you be the judge.....

https://imgbin.com/png/AHXe5Wsr/marl...ette-brand-png

BTW, these guitars are not bad. They’re useable approximate D-28 knockoffs that are good campfire/bar gig guitars that don’t break the bank.

Thanks so much, Dreadfulnaught. That's the most helpful info I've received so far. The logo thing is really compelling. The only thing that leads me away from this being a Marlboro guitar is the fingerboard where it meets the soundhole. Mine is just like the one in the ShopGoodwill listing with a bound squared off edge. All the Marlboro guitars I've seen have the concave cut to match the round on the soundhole. It's certainly possible that there is more than one iteration of the Marlboro guitar, but I've only seen ONE positively identified version, and each appears to have identical features, but of course mine does not.

The mystery continues.

What does your fretboard edge look like?

BTW, my fascination with identifying this guitar is that the one I own is an amazing guitar! It is built like a tank, but sounds and plays like a work of art. Maybe I just got lucky, but I've heard others say similar things about theirs. Still, I have yet to find anyone who knows ANYTHING about their specimens or mine.

Thanks again.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameleye View Post
Those full on cracks on both sides of the fingerboard are a sign of serious damage.
The binding and the rosette are broken and shifted along the left crack. It is not a simple split crack. It is a displacement or movement crack, showing that the strings have pulled the neck into the body, through the top and back towards the saddle.

Last edited by vintage40s; 07-14-2019 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:32 AM

I had a customer's guitar in my shop with that same headstock inlay, the same tuners, and the elongated headstock. We were unable to identify it. It also had several cracks in the top. The back and sides were rosewood, most likely laminate, but we couldn't tell for sure. He thought it had solid back/sides, and that it might be someone's homemade guitar, but who would put that much work into building a guitar by hand and then put those cheap tuners on it? I thought it was more likely an unbranded import. It was an outstanding sounding guitar whatever it was.

The cracks on the top mean that it is a solid top. Laminate doesn't crack like that. The most concerning crack is the one on the upper bout where the neck meets the body. With it shoved in like that, it is likely that the neck block is damaged.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:43 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx View Post
It’s a crap laminate Korean made guitar. I’ve seen a few with that inlay.
There was another one just like it on Goodwill a while ago - at that time the suggestions were of a home made guitar.

Last edited by fazool; 07-12-2019 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jylarkin View Post
Thanks so much, Dreadfulnaught. That's the most helpful info I've received so far. The logo thing is really compelling. The only thing that leads me away from this being a Marlboro guitar is the fingerboard where it meets the soundhole. Mine is just like the one in the ShopGoodwill listing with a bound squared off edge. All the Marlboro guitars I've seen have the concave cut to match the round on the soundhole. It's certainly possible that there is more than one iteration of the Marlboro guitar, but I've only seen ONE positively identified version, and each appears to have identical features, but of course mine does not.

The mystery continues.

What does your fretboard edge look like?

BTW, my fascination with identifying this guitar is that the one I own is an amazing guitar! It is built like a tank, but sounds and plays like a work of art. Maybe I just got lucky, but I've heard others say similar things about theirs. Still, I have yet to find anyone who knows ANYTHING about their specimens or mine.

Thanks again.
My fretboard end is curved and flush with the edge of the soundhole. I have heard that the Marlboro guitars may have been built in more than one factory, so minor differences would make sense.
I took mine on a trip to Mexico in February, before I got my Voyage-Air. Did not want to risk one of my Martins. I played it in a club in Chapala. I put a Fishman soundhole pickup in there and it works just fine. I’ve also heard vague rumors of a OOO Marlboro model but I doubt they exist, as I’ve never even seen a picture of one.
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion