View Single Post
Old 03-20-2018, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Default Do magnets affect effects pedals?

Apparently, the answer to that is 'yes, sometimes'.

Our current setup has everything up on a metal music stand. Until today I had all the pedals anchored down with 3M heavy duty hook/loop tape. It worked fairly well. But I like to move things around, add pedals, remove pedals, you know, try out new things. I thought to myself, how about using magnets with sticky back tape to hold the pedals down? It would allow for infinite and easy moving around. My only question was, would strong magnets affect anything in any of my pedals? Only one way to find out.

So I went on Amazon and ordered some small but strong neodymium rare earth magnet bars. They are relatively inexpensive and have a lower profile than regular magnets. I got them today and pulled off all the pedals and removed the 3M tape and installed the magnets. As hoped, everything worked like a charm from a holding standpoint. I was able to move things all around and find some better positioning. Now it was time to test it out live.

Right out of the gate something was off. The volume would swell up and down and I thought for sure that must be from the magnets. I did incorporate a new chord that was suspect so I swapped that out with the normal one and that problem went away. I started to play and everything seemed okay except for the TC Electronics BodyRez pedal which did not seem to do much of anything when activated or the effect dial moved. So I powered down, removed the magnets and went back to the 3M tape and it now works as it should. So it would seem just that one pedal is affected negatively. Interesting.

The other pedals in the setup are an LR Baggs PARA DI, a TC Helicon Harmony G-XT, and a Behringer Xenyx 1202FX mixer. None of them seem to be affected. I'm not sure if the magnets are affecting the foot switch or the electronics for the BodyRez. I've got a little TC Electronics mini Delay pedal due in today so I'll try that and see what happens. It's a unique setup and I like how it's working out. I plan to post a video review once I get the delay in and the setup tweaked in as a few people that saw it in my YouTube review of the Bose have asked for information about it.

Anyone else there ever try using magnets to hold pedals? Any experiences like mine?