The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-12-2016, 09:25 AM

Default neck reshaping - possible to make a neck thicker?

I've read loads of threads about reshaping necks by taking wood OFF; I'm wondering if it's possible to reshape by putting material ON.

What I have in mind is taking a neck with a shallow "v" and having it changed it to something more rounded by building up the shoulders of the v - maybe with strips of wood glued along each side?

Anyone here ever seen or done anything like this or have an idea of whether it's possible?
Old 08-12-2016, 09:38 AM
AGF Sponsor

Anything is possible, but I think between the work of removing the finish, glueing on more wood, creating the new neck shape and blending it to the old shape and taper, refinishing... most builders would probably rather just make you a whole new neck.

Acoustic Music Works
Guitars, Banjos, Mandolins & Good Company

A top dealer for Collings, Huss & Dalton, Kevin Kopp, Baleno Instruments, Eastman, Pisgah Banjos, OME and ODE Banjos, Northfield Mandolins, and more!

(412) 422-0710
www.acousticmusicworks.com

Friend us on Facebook!
Follow us on Twitter!
Check out our YouTube channel!
Old 08-12-2016, 09:59 AM

Yes it can be done, would it be prudent, no, it would be a disaster. Even the thinnest of veneers would increase the bulk of the neck. If the glue was not done perfectly, you could be in for a rather nasty splinter if the veneer lifted slightly. I think you can find another guitar that will fulfill your neck requirement and be a factory built neck.

Dan
Old 08-12-2016, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd612 View Post
What I have in mind is taking a neck with a shallow "v" and having it changed it to something more rounded by building up the shoulders of the v - maybe with strips of wood glued along each side?
I had this issue but I felt that the neck was thick enough to where I could have the v taken down and the shoulders slightly shaped to get the rounded neck without going too thin. Is that not an option for you and this neck?

Best,
Jayne
Old 08-12-2016, 10:55 AM

Depending on how much, the geometry of the guitar, one may be able to use a thicker fingerboard. A good luthier should be able to give you an evaluation.
Tom
Old 08-12-2016, 11:09 AM

Been doing some research,and was/maybe thinking about doing this myself.I have a Martin
with a Modified Low Oval neck.Love the sound of the box but not the
neck profile so much..(Worked with wood for many years but im not a luthier,so- )

Was thinking of using thin Veneer's only 0.6mm thick (0.023622" inch).Thicker would be harder
to bend ?.And building up layers till it felt right.2 or 3 maybe.(hot iron might help)
Here are some links that might interest you
This DIY guy used pine if i remember right(i wouldn't use pine) http://www.tdpri.com/threads/enlargi...t-neck.166154/

Mahogany Veneer (have been looking for Spanish cedar to) http://www.thewoodveneerhub.co.uk/fi...-17cm-118-x-6/

Glue ? http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodwor...-titebond+5175

If a luthier says that's all wrong im all ears :up

I love the sound of my Martin 0-15 custom so much that i might just live with the neck profile now.

Last edited by mahoriver; 08-12-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:15 AM

Here's a thought. Try coming at the problem from a different perspective.

Buy a soft flexible thick glove and cut the fingers off of it.

Who knows, it might work, and you may start a trend !

The other Paul
Old 08-12-2016, 11:28 AM

Perhaps time for some redneck lutherie... stick strips of tape on it until you like it

I would say duct tape for the full redneck image, but masking tape would be a lot more likely to come off cleanly in the future. Maybe with one strip of box tape on the outside for a gloss finish
Old 08-12-2016, 12:03 PM

Ha ha ha lol what a couple of wisecrackers you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom West View Post
Depending on how much, the geometry of the guitar, one may be able to use a thicker fingerboard. A good luthier should be able to give you an evaluation.
Tom
Sounds like it might be a good option..The problem with the adding wood idea
is its pretty much irreversible..And could affect resale value.

Last edited by mahoriver; 08-12-2016 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:43 PM

I've seen the opposite modification, but only once. It was on a black 70's Les Paul belonging to Roy Clark, back when I was repairing guitars at a shop that did a fair amount of work for Roy. I think it was in for fret work, and I noticed the neck had a "V" shape to it, and upon closer inspection, I could tell that a strip of wood had been added to the rear of the neck in order to facilitate the V. The neck had presumably been flattened out on the back and the wood strip added, before it was shaped and oversprayed. The finish had settled in enough so that the evidence of the modification was visible, but overall, it looked like a pretty good job.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kicking View Post
Here's a thought. Try coming at the problem from a different perspective.

Buy a soft flexible thick glove and cut the fingers off of it.

Who knows, it might work, and you may start a trend !

The other Paul
Here ya' go!
Old 08-12-2016, 06:21 PM

I've done it but it wasn't fun.

A friend who plays an 11-string Classical was having left hand troubles. Since the neck is so wide the maker had made it thinner to compensate. Since he didn't have problems on a thicker neck, mt friend tried building the thin one up with duct tape. When he got a thickness that worked he had me replace the tape with wood. In this case, since the neck was not removable, there was little other choice.

What I did was to undercut the fingerboard at both edges, so that the new wood would not taper out to nothing there. The back of the neck was cleaned up and made as smooth as possible. Then a piece of wood, more or less in the shape of a gutter, but square on the outside, was chalk fitted to it. The biggest issue there was getting the ends to blend in at the heel and head. Once that was fitted on it was glued and then carved down to the proper thickness and contour.

It worked so well that another player with an instrument from the same maker had me do that on his. So far as I know, both are still in use something like 25 years later. Compared with taking wood OFF it was a major pain. Don't even ask about making one wider; I've never gone there and would rather not contemplate it. Finally, know that I described the process so that you can get somebody else to do it: I'm not in the repair business these days.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:31 PM

My goodness, that seems like a lot of trouble.
Swapping out necks with the preferable carve seems a better option.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahoriver View Post
Ha ha ha lol what a couple of wisecrackers you are.

Sounds like it might be a good option..The problem with the adding wood idea
is its pretty much irreversible..And could affect resale value.
"could". Haha.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:59 PM

What is the guitar that your going to try and and make the neck thicker? I hope that it isn't anything that expensive.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion