The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-29-2015, 09:08 PM

Default adhesive for mock Truss Rod covers

The discussion of late regarding dressing up your guitars and personalization got me thinking about what I might do to mine and both of my mains don't have truss rod covers so I thought hmmm a custom mock truss rod cover glued on would be something I could consider....

then...

Started thinking about what kinda glue I'd want to use. Perhap rubber cement or something because I would not want what ever it was to be permanent in case I were to sell the guitar. (doubtful for one likely for the other)

So, what is the best non-permanent adhesive one could use that wouldn't mess with the guitars finish if you wished to remove it later? Any thoughts?

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 01-29-2015, 09:21 PM

Yes a religious symbol... maybe.. just speculation...

Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 01-29-2015, 09:23 PM

Was not asking opinions on if it was something you might think was a good or bad idea just wondered about some adhesive to do it if I chose to and didn't want to damage the finish underneath.

Why did I know before posting the flack would come from this?

Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 01-29-2015, 09:26 PM

Kip,
I think you have hit on it -- rubber cement will be easily applied and removed if no longer desired. Not sure if it contains any products that might damage the finish...

Martin D-15M
Taylor 420 Maple
Alvarez MD80
Alvarez MD80/12
Old 01-29-2015, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

If you have a truss rod pocket and no cover, I'd drill a hole and use a screw. Otherwise, Elmer's comes off cleanly.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:53 PM

I would think that many, if not most, adhesives left on for months or years would have a detrimental effect on the finish upon removal. It's certainly something I wouldn't do. I would either screw it on so that it looks natural since most truss rod covers have screw holes that would look bizarre if left unfilled or permanently adhere it to the guitar. Your guitar, your call.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:07 AM

I think I would use a small piece of double sided adhesive tape, sort of like what is used for pickguards, but not as strong. maybe just a 1/2" square of it,
Old 01-30-2015, 06:14 AM

I agree, just screw it on, that's what would look normal, and that's what would be there if you actually needed a trc.

As long as you're modifying anyway, you could use smaller, flathead screws that end up being flush (think Les Paul pickup mounting ring screws). You could even use black if that would be less visable (don't know the color of your trc).

Taylor GS8
Godin A6 Ultra
Old 01-30-2015, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

Question

I have to say - it's a bit like putting a sail on a car, or a - well I just don't know - but it sure sounds like a way to spoil the looks and probably the finish of a guitar.

Sorry - just sounds illogical to me.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
I think I would use a small piece of double sided adhesive tape, sort of like what is used for pickguards, but not as strong. maybe just a 1/2" square of it,
+1
This is the way to do it.

If the OP wants to do this, it's his guitar, why shouldn't he do it.

It's a completely reversible process, won't harm the guitar in any way, and is nothing more than a piece of discreet decoration.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:32 AM
Guest 1928

The pick guard adhesive is probably as good as anything. However, even that can sometimes react with lacquer and leave a bit of evidence when removed. It shouldn't be drastic though. And if you're talking about the Martin, you could polish the entire headstock and probably remove any sign of it.

If you're using a ready made truss rod cover, it will probably have screw holes. I'd epoxy screws that matched the tuners (nickel, gold, etc.) and grind them flush on the back. If it's a custom cover, don't forget to ask the maker to leave it without screw holes.

StewMac pick guard adhesive

3M #77 spray adhesive (the standard before the sheets became available)

Last edited by Guest 1928; 01-30-2015 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:36 AM

Default Adhesive

Rubber cement usually contains toluene, which is fairly aggressive toward most finishes.

Tite bond or similar glues probably won't penetrate most finishes but will just sit on top.

Since a lot of manufacturers Add the pick guard after the guitar has been finished, you might ask what glues are used there.

Maybe in the builder's forum?
Old 01-30-2015, 07:43 AM

Default fake truss rod cover

Consider: wood changes color over time, some more than others. What is under the truss rod cover that you install will not change, so if you take it off after some years, it may look different, like when you remove a pickguard after some years. Granted, if the headstock veneer is dark, there is less likelihood of this.

Personally, I have never cared for any truss rod cover and see no reason for them. A truss rod is rarely turned and the amount of time one saves over the the course of the guitar's life (as opposed to removing strings and turning it from the inside) is very minimal. To me, they look like seeing a cat from the back end. That's not an eye you see there.

But, that's me - beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

I think it would be best to drill tiny holes and actually mount the faux TRC with TRC screws. Otherwise it would look odd and not look right IMO.

I think part of the look is the TRC and its mounting screws. I think it would look "funny" without screws.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 01-30-2015, 08:52 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I think it would be best to drill tiny holes and actually mount the faux TRC with TRC screws. Otherwise it would look odd and not look right IMO.

I think part of the look is the TRC and its mounting screws. I think it would look "funny" without screws.
Agreed. Post#13.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion