The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-24-2012, 10:48 PM

Default MARTIN FACTORY tour pictorial: 350+ photos

Still working on captions, but I wanted to share these with you.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1038210...eat=directlink

This is for those of you who said, "Take pictures of EVERYTHING." Well, I did. I have more photos of this than I do of my week in Italy last summer.

EDIT: I deleted a bunch of redundant or slightly blurred photos, with the end result that we're now UNDER 350 photos.

Last edited by Neal Pert; 11-25-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:53 PM

Default MARTIN FACTORY tour pictorial: 350+ photos

Thanks for sharing!! Lots of pics I like it! I'll have to really look at them on the computer tomorrow. I got through about 50 on my phone but it's too slow.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Pert View Post
Still working on captions, but I wanted to share these with you.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1038210...eat=directlink

This is for those of you who said, "Take pictures of EVERYTHING." Well, I did. I have more photos of this than I do of my week in Italy last summer.
Thanks for the pictures. When I travel, I shoot gigs every day, so I understand.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:59 PM

I'll pull this into something more accessible and orderly later, but for now, what the heck. Never know what someone will want to see.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:28 PM

that was great, thanks
Old 11-24-2012, 11:53 PM
Charter Member

very cool- thanks!

madhat.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:47 AM

Awesome! Like taking the tour all over again, thanks!!

Two comments: it was nice seeing the candling table, wood grading is not just visual inspection or opinion, candling catches imperfections and occlusions and defects in the wood the eye might miss unassisted, grading isn't just about "beauty". And.....

Because of Claptons's comment that if he came back as a guitar it would be an OM-45! OM-45's are very rare, unlike D-45's which are made every year (albeit in pretty small numbers), OM-45's are not built every year, the last run was in 2005 and only 29 were made. All time only a few hundred have been made, to me the perfect Martin model. Thanks again for the pix !!!!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 11-25-2012, 08:23 AM

Wow...just wow

Thanks

Keith Lewis
Charlotte, NC
rkl245 on the UMGF
rkl on Mandolin Cafe

Martin D-18VS
Martin 000-28EC
Kentucky KM-505 Mandolin
Fender Leo Deluxe Banjo
Old 11-25-2012, 09:38 AM

Thanks! Now I have to go sometime.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:43 AM

Wow - now that's what I call Factory Tour pics!!!!
Old 11-25-2012, 10:19 AM

Call me weird but surfing through all those photos and trying to soak in the enormity of the operation somehow left me feeling a deeper appreciation for small shop- and individual luthier-made guitars. There was almost an impersonal character about the operation with so many staff "touching" the guitar along the way. Now with that said, I have the utmost respect and admiration for Martin's operations, quality, history, market influence, branding, and customer service but it left me feeling like I'd prefer my next guitars to come from smaller operations. I love my 000-18GE but somehow the "artisan" quality seemed to get lost while viewing those photos. I didn't expect to feel that way despite having viewed Martin factory shots before. I guess my frame of mind is different these days. Thanks to OP for posting.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000-18GE View Post
Call me weird but surfing through all those photos and trying to soak in the enormity of the operation somehow left me feeling a deeper appreciation for small shop- and individual luthier-made guitars. There was almost an impersonal character about the operation with so many staff "touching" the guitar along the way. Now with that said, I have the utmost respect and admiration for Martin's operations, quality, history, market influence, branding, and customer service but it left me feeling like I'd prefer my next guitars to come from smaller operations. I love my 000-18GE but somehow the "artisan" quality seemed to get lost while viewing those photos. I didn't expect to feel that way despite having viewed Martin factory shots before. I guess my frame of mind is different these days. Thanks to OP for posting.
I can sorta see that, but I will say-- go and visit. There's something simultaneously very big and very small about the operation. When you're there, you discover that it doesn't feel like an assembly line-- it feels like a whole bunch of craftspeople doing these intricate things. It's way more like a guild than like a normal factory. And believe me-- I've been in a lot of factories.

With all those people and all that space they only produce something like 230 guitars a day.

I think I left with an appreciation for both the small luthier and for Martin. There's a guy here in town who makes amazing guitars and who's posted pictorials of his work here. I love it. But the truth is, every build is, in a sense, a factory build, and a community effort. Someone chops down the trees, makes the strings, ships the wood, etc.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000-18GE View Post
You need to go in person, it is far more intimate and hands on than most folks think. Smaller doesn't necessarilly equate to better, somewtimes yes, sometimes no. And Martin treats it's employees very well, that counts a lot to me......

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 11-25-2012, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Sweet! Thank you for posting the photographs!
Old 11-25-2012, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Neal,

That was an awesome photo tour. Now I don't need to go! Wow, that was great! And how nice that your 11-year-old daughter went with you on the tour!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion