The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-16-2011, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs down Any Information On "Calton?"

I've been attempting to reach the Calton Case company, since I ordered a case in November on 2010, and have not received it yet. Does anyone know what's going on with those people? The last e-mail I got from Jim Laffoley, stated "my lost order" was found and was to be shipped that week. That was last June.
Since then, nothing. I know NOW that I blew it when I ordered last year, but I had no idea it would be such an awful mess, I'd be out the money, and be out a new travel case that use to be one of the best in the world. It looks now like whoever the new owner is has destroyed the company. Too bad. Now if I can just get my $$$ back!
Thanks for any info on this weird situation.
1folksinger.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:58 AM

Have you called direct?
Old 08-16-2011, 12:12 PM

Good luck...I've had two cases on order (one carbon, the other fiberglass) since November. I actually had four others ordered, but was able to get my credit card company to reverse the charges on those, after it became apparent that Jim was not going to send my cases.

The last time I heard from Jim was in Feb. when he emailed and said he would be shipping my order, however the factory was snowed in, so they wouldn't be able to send it that day (he even included a picture of a building that was snowed in).

Every contact I have attempted since has garnered no response. I don't know if I'll ever see the two cases that I am still owed or the monies I paid for them, but I keep pinging them every month...with no reply.
Clark: A-Wedge Monkeypod/Snkr Rdwd
Cornerstone: Zion All Koa
Cornerstone: Tenor Ukulele Prototype #2 All Koa
Fay: OM Mac Eb/Englemann
Stehr: Aud. Braz/Snkr Rdwd 8-str

Plaid Coyote's gone home to play
Old 08-16-2011, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

I heard from a store owner friend that they were out of business or going out of business. It was just hearsay but thats what he told me.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 08-16-2011, 02:08 PM

Default Calton

I've bought three cases from Jim over the past two years and everyone was a huge hassle. I've told Jim that.

Try calling the shop early in the morning, between 7 and 8 atlantic coast time. I managed to get him that way and shame him into sending my cases.

I wish I owned that company. It's a good product and with a market. Jim is just ruining the Calton name and should just sell and get out of the way.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:14 AM

Canadian Better Business Bureau report
Old 08-17-2011, 07:32 AM

They make great products, but why go through the hassle? It's also impossible to find them used these days too. Even if they go on sale, they still sell for a premium.

Hoffee makes some amazing case these days. USA MADE. They are made with carbon fiber. 50% lighter than the fiberglass calton cases, and 50% more durable.

Also their videos are amazing. They are american made tough!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPqFje3y2v4

BTO coco/adir 12 fret.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:49 AM

YourfriendDave, I am using the new Hoffee 2.0 cases. Their interior's are now just about as good as the Calton's, the new larger case isn't half the weight, more like 70% of the weight. It's a very nice case, made by a man eager to do business. 'nuf said.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfanarchist View Post
I've bought three cases from Jim over the past two years and everyone was a huge hassle. I've told Jim that.

Try calling the shop early in the morning, between 7 and 8 atlantic coast time. I managed to get him that way and shame him into sending my cases.

I wish I owned that company. It's a good product and with a market. Jim is just ruining the Calton name and should just sell and get out of the way.
Could not agree more. I was "lucky" enough to get one decent case out of Jim, mostly thourgh the shaming process and my polite but relentless e-mails and phone calls. Agree that Calton cases are being ruined by just plain bad management and stupidity. If I liked the East Coast more I would join you in buying the company and putting in place basic operations control and client management practices. This company could be turned around in a month. It's a crying shame. I will NEVER order another Calton as long as it is in present hands.
Collings OM2H Custom
Old 08-17-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberkowitz View Post
Ouch. That hurts.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfrienddave View Post
They make great products, but why go through the hassle? It's also impossible to find them used these days too. Even if they go on sale, they still sell for a premium.

Hoffee makes some amazing case these days. USA MADE. They are made with carbon fiber. 50% lighter than the fiberglass calton cases, and 50% more durable.

Also their videos are amazing. They are american made tough!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPqFje3y2v4
I'll be listing my OM Calton here on the AGF in the next few days...

They make a great product. Really top of the line cases. But in this day and age, unless you have an absolute corner on a particular market, a businesses customer service needs to be great. I hope they get things sorted out.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1folksinger View Post
I've been attempting to reach the Calton Case company, since I ordered a case in November on 2010, and have not received it yet. Does anyone know what's going on with those people? The last e-mail I got from Jim Laffoley, stated "my lost order" was found and was to be shipped that week. That was last June.
Since then, nothing. I know NOW that I blew it when I ordered last year, but I had no idea it would be such an awful mess, I'd be out the money, and be out a new travel case that use to be one of the best in the world. It looks now like whoever the new owner is has destroyed the company. Too bad. Now if I can just get my $$$ back!
Thanks for any info on this weird situation.
1folksinger.

Wow, sorry to hear about the troubles. I ordered one at the same time as you, and had the same issues and reasons as you, but I did finally get my case shipped the day I disputed the order with my CC company. It is hard to believe that Jim Laffoley of Calton Cases still takes orders and full payments upfront, when there are cases not delivered after such along time. I had no idea that people were still waiting this long. I hope it gets resolved for you.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
Ouch. That hurts.
Yeah - even they could not get a response from the owner.
Collings OM2H Custom
Old 08-17-2011, 12:41 PM

I placed an order, and he took my CC $, in January. Not a peep since then. No email response, no phone message responses. Doesn't pick up the phone. I am basically assuming they are thieves and I have been robbed.

Already ordered a Hoffee.

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 08-17-2011, 04:32 PM

You gotta love this guy's passion for his product. I'm not in the market for a travel case (the one that came with my guitar works just fine and fits into the overhead) but he'd get my money if I were.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion