The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-09-2011, 06:39 AM

Default What's Phase Coherent Cardioid microphones?

What's Phase Coherent Cardioid microphones?
I'm planning to buy an acoustic pickups, and I found one, Crown Pcc 160-->
http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/vi...0#imageGallery

I'm not even sure if it's an acoustic pickups or something, can someone explain to me what's this for? Am I gonne be able to use this for a small concert?
Old 07-09-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iankasai View Post

I'm not even sure if it's an acoustic pickups or something, can someone explain to me what's this for? Am I gonna be able to use this for a small concert?

The PCC-160 was not designed for, nor intended to be used as sound reinforcement microphone for acoustic instruments. It commonly used in sound reinforcement and conferencing systems as a table top microphone, though it can also be located on a stage floor as as area microphone. If your aim is amplifying acoustic guitar, steer clear of this.

If you want to know more about this mic, follow the link.

http://www.crownaudio.com/mic_web/pcc.htm

Torturer of quality instruments by Benedetto, Fender, Gibson, Guild, Martin, PRS and Taylor
Old 07-09-2011, 07:40 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iankasai View Post

I'm not even sure if it's an acoustic pickups or something, can someone explain to me what's this for? Am I gonne be able to use this for a small concert?
That microphone is perfect for mic'ing Flamenco dancers stomping feet, seriously, but not for mic'ing a guitar in any way, shape or form.

Also, pickups are not generally regarded as microphones, primarily because they do not employ the use of 'air' in their operation.

HE
Old 07-09-2011, 09:04 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Back to your main question:

Producing phase coherence in stereo microphone pairs is the business of ensuring that the signals presented contain as little material as possible that will be canceled out or affected when the signals are combined. Phase cancellation occurs when audio presented to one mic is delayed enough to conflict with the audio presented to the other. That is caused by the heads of the two mics being set at a distance that delays the audio. It can be corrected with carefully chosen fixed spacing between capsules or physical or electronic time delay networks within an array.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification