The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-13-2011, 11:01 PM

Default Build Thread: Saville SJ Lutz/Mahogany

This is a sister build to Marley's Walnut/Cedar OM. Steve builds two guitars at a time so Marley and I will be going through this process together. I'm not sure if Steve ever had both of his guitars within a batch the subject of simultaneous build threads on AGF; not like it's a competition or a race but it will be good to see how each guitar progresses.

My guitar will be Steve's SJ (small jumbo) size. This is about the size of a Taylor GA or a Goodall CJ. I've asked for a Venetian cutaway, a soundport and an armrest. The guitar will have a Lutz spruce top and bracing, with figured mahogany back and sides. I got to choose the wood last December at Steve's shop; the tap-tone on the mahogany was the best in his stash to my ears. (Marley, if that's the cedar top I think it is, know that it had an incredible tap tone. It should sound really good paired with that walnut. I hope I have a chance to get to play yours, which I suppose is an advantage of living within an hour of your luthier!)

I'm having Steve install PUTW's new SSP pickup, which combines an undersaddle element with dual soundboard transducers. The sensors can be combined in three possible ways: 1) the UST on the tip and the summed ASTs on the ring, 2) Two copies of the UST summed with the ASTs, and 3) the ASTs in stereo. I'll be sending the signal through a D-TAR Solstice, so this should sound great when amplified.

The guitar will have an afzelia rosette, headstock plate, heel cap and bottom wedge. I'd never heard of afzelia before, but Steve had a beautiful burl turning block in a striking brick-red color. It's really eye-popping. The guitar will feature ziricote fretboard, binding and bridge, with a 5-piece mahogany/maple/bloodwood/maple/mahogany neck. 25.4" scale, 1.75" nut. EVO Gold fretwire, set up for PB lights. Clear pickguard, gold hardware. The SJ fits nicely in a Calton case that I won last year.

I'll keep this thread updated as the build progresses. I expect the guitar to be completed sometime this summer.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:08 AM

looking good. a great start!
Old 04-14-2011, 06:54 AM
*mahoganut*

Looking very sweet, James!! Steve produces some of the most interesting and visually appealing guitars of anyone these days. Superb visual aesthetics combined with great tone and playability = happiness for sure!!

Best,

Phil
Old 04-14-2011, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

What, no picture of the mahogany? Will it be honduran, sapele, etc? That lutz top looks fantastic!

Nice choice of tonewoods, mahogany and lutz is my current favorite.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 04-14-2011, 10:00 AM

NICE top!
Old 04-14-2011, 10:00 AM
Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
What, no picture of the mahogany? Will it be honduran, sapele, etc? That lutz top looks fantastic!....
Chuck,
It is Honduran mahogany. Take another look at the first picture - it is under the fretboard.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
Chuck,
It is Honduran mahogany. Take another look at the first picture - it is under the fretboard.
Wow, I guess missing that is similar to my wife's comments on how I'm not very aware of my surroundings. Very nice set of woods.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 04-15-2011, 05:18 PM
Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Wow, I guess missing that is similar to my wife's comments on how I'm not very aware of my surroundings........
Why do all wifes say that?
Old 06-03-2011, 07:35 AM

The top has been braced and voiced, and Steve provided more pictures of the progress:

Old 06-10-2011, 12:53 PM

I love it. It's looking great.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:27 AM

Looking forward to this build.

Great work from Steve!!!
Old 06-22-2011, 08:48 PM

Here are a couple more pictures that Steve has provided. The first shows, from left to right, amerry19's LS Redwood/"The Tree" Mahogany, jahcoustic's Cedar/Walnut, and finally my Lutz/Mahogany. The two on the outside are SJs, and the middle is an OM. If the contour on mine looks off, it's because the guitar has a subtle armrest.

And here is mine nestled in its future home. It's starting to look like a guitar! The next step I've been told is for the binding and purfling to go on.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:33 AM

awesome. Looking good in the case!
Old 07-08-2011, 08:03 AM

The binding and purfling is now on:

Old 07-10-2011, 12:52 PM

REALLY nice!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop