The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-02-2010, 02:38 PM

Default LR BAggs Para DI question

Quick question. Here is my existing set up. Guitar>pedal board> Para Di>PA. I want to add an amp for personal monitor. The Para Di has an"effects out" that I could go to the amp with, but is that the right path? I tried it with someone else's amp the other day but I had my tele at the time. It worked fine. Haven't got the amp yet either so if you have any suggestions that would be great too. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:18 PM

The effects out would be fine for the monitor amp. My question is- if you're going straight from the guitar to the pedal board, why use the PADI at all? It's not buffering the output of the guitar (the first pedal in your chain is), and the signal leaving the last pedal on your board is probably a line level signal, suitable for pretty long runs. I'm assuming you like the EQ on the PADI, or you're using it to run a balanced signal to your primary amp?

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique
Old 02-02-2010, 04:48 PM

Thanks for the reply. Didn't understand a lot of what you said, but yeah I'm using the padi for the eq and to boost the gain before going to the PA. Without it I need to crank the PA gain almost to max to get balanced with the rest of the team. Is there a better way to chain theses all together?
Old 02-02-2010, 05:35 PM

the PADI does have aa output also you could run to the amp, in fact that's why baggs puts that there. I'm assuming you're running an XLR out to the board? Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need to complete the loop in order to utilize the other outputs as well?

Rainsong WS1000
Taylor "T6" Custom w/added element UST
USA Tele Deluxe
Ibanex SRX-500
Vox AC-15

Korg Pitch Black (2x), Fishman Aura 16, BBE Sonic Stomp, LR Baggs PADI, Boss TU-2, Sansamp Tech21 Bass Driver, Boss GE-7 Bass EQ, MXR Micro Amp, Keely BD-2, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Boss DD-20, BBE supacharger

Up next: Empress EQ, Radial J48
Old 02-02-2010, 05:42 PM

Seems strange that the Pedal Board doesn't give the signal a lot more gain than you're describing. Guess it depends on which one you're using. This is probably fine the way you have it set up. An improvement would probably require buying new equipment, such as one of those EQ Pedals someone posted a video of recently (used with a K&K equipped guitar).......looked like a cool gizmo.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

You use the XLR out to the PA and the line out to the amp. The effects send actually bypasses the EQ section so that your monitor sound won't reflect your EQed sound. Offhand, I can think of no advantage to doing that (although you may try sticking your pedal board in the loop instead of in front of the DI).
Old 02-04-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post
and the signal leaving the last pedal on your board is probably a line level signal, suitable for pretty long runs.
High impedance (1/4" jack) is not suitable for pretty long runs. That's what they make DI's for. A low impedance cable (xlr) out from a DI is suitable for pretty long runs. Rule of thumb is any more than 25' (a little long for me even with a buffer) run should use a short high impedance cable to a DI with any length low impedance cable necessary. As far as I know anyway.

Have you read the manual?

http://www.lrbaggs.com/Manuals/para_di_manual.pdf
Old 02-04-2010, 11:57 AM

Ok I've tried it now. XLR out to the PA and 1/4" out to the amp from the line out. Works fine.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification