The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-18-2000, 04:14 PM

Exclamation Bridge pin problems?

A friend of mine has been buying Taylors like there's no tomorrow (414, 714, 815C, 615C, and Kenny Loggins Sig model). So far the two guitars that he's restrung (714 and 815c) have been giving him a hard time with the fit of the bridge pins. They either pop out, or do not fit back in snugly enough and he has to shift the pins around between the wound and unwound strings. I don't think it's anything he's doing, he's an experienced player. As I come up on the first string change on my 614ce I am a little concerned about this and wondered if other Taylor owners had experienced this problem. Thanks!
Old 09-18-2000, 06:19 PM

Being a repair shop, we often have to restring guitars, & one thing we've learned is to replace bridge pins in the same hole they came out of. Another common problem is not pulling the balls up tight against the bridge plate before trying to wind up the strings. They will yank the pin every time. Usually these problems occur with new guitars, but as some of the "edges" wear off, it gets a lot better.

------------------
http://www.CustomFret.com
Old 09-18-2000, 06:55 PM

Exclamation

Have you downloaded the Guitar Restringing tech sheets from the Taylor Website. One of them gives specific instructions on how to properly set the bridge pins. It works for me. Of course I only have two Taylors (so far)

------------------
George Wilson
Old 09-18-2000, 08:21 PM

I have owned 4 Taylor's, still have 3 of them.

Like Jim notes the most common problems are "user" problems - I have yet to have any problems with the bridge pins.

I do have a set of fossilized walrus ivory from Vintage Ventures that are too big for the Taylor bridge holes and I have to sand them down.

------------------
Scott Peterson

Marilyn Mack Group
Marilyn Mack Group MP3.Com Site
My Personal MP3.Com Site
Dirty Cow Records
My Gear

"Sleeping and eating were never as important to me (as playing the guitar)."
Chet Atkins
Old 09-18-2000, 09:54 PM

Talking

Thanks to all who replied, I will pass the info on...Will change the strings on the 614ce this weekend and see how it goes. Thanks again!
Old 09-18-2000, 10:34 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Anyone know whatever happened to Taylor's "pinless" bridge that they used to use in the 400 series? I wonder why they abandoned that design?

J.R.
Old 09-19-2000, 12:11 AM

Lightbulb

Pins pop out when the ball is sitting under the end of the pin. When you are pushing the ball down in the hole with the pin, there should be a point where the pin continues to move down but the ball (and string) stops moving. That tells you that the ball has slipped up the front of the pin like it should. Sometimes if a ball is stubborn and wants to stay under the end of the pin, I will take the string back out and make a slight bend in the string toward the neck about a half inch above the ball. Works every time.

Dave B
Old 09-19-2000, 06:56 AM

J.R., I didn't mention my friend has a 422-R, which has the pinless bridge. I think it's either a '96 or '97. Great little guitar by the way, I've been looking for one but there were only about 450 of them made.
I will pass along all hints about the pins to my buddy and will keep them in mind for myself. Many thanks!
Old 09-19-2000, 03:37 PM

Hello, great new forum!

I agree that there seems to be a slight problem with the bridge or pins or combination thereof. The first string change I did on a new 314 was like nothing I'd ever experienced. The pins were very tight and I was unable to push any (loosened) strings down into the box, which I can normally do if I install the strings. These were the factory installed Elixer's. Tried pushing the pins up from the inside, no help. Ended up prying them loose with a niping tool. The next string change wasn't quite as bad but a couple of pins were pushed in too tight again, despite the care I took installing them. It seems that these pins are just a little too tight. I spoke with a Taylor rep and he wasn't aware of any known problems. He did say that maybe the bridge holes were undersized. And he sent me a new set of pins, which look just like the existing pins. I havn't tried them yet. But between all my brother's guitars and my three guitars, the Taylor has the tightest fitting pins. I've seen pins that will fall out without a string installed and of course with the string installed they're fine. This isn't the case with the 314. These pins go in and then with just a little more push, will sort of jam in a little farther. That's when it seems they're too tight. It appears there is a slight problem here. Anyone else seen it?

Regards, Tom
Old 09-19-2000, 04:53 PM

Taylor pins ARE fitted closely, and being wooden pins in a wooden bridge, it doesn't take but a little rise in their equalibrium moisture content to make new ones REAL tight.
When somebody brings a Taylor in with tight pins, usually about 3 or 4 days in the 45% relative humidity enviroment will loosen them back up. On the other hand, if the guitar gets a little dry, sometimes they'll want to fall out.

------------------
http://www.CustomFret.com
Old 09-20-2000, 12:03 AM

I use one of those plastic string winding cranks that has a notch for the purpose of prying out tight bridge pins, which mine are.

Works very slick and the plastic is soft enough that it won't marr the bridge.

Dave B
Old 09-20-2000, 08:04 PM

I had the same problem with my 810 the first time I changed the strings. By the second change the bridge holes seemed to loosen up nicely. I just chalked it down as being a trait of a newly made instrument.
John
Old 09-22-2000, 11:19 AM

Swoodnj,
I have one of the 412 Taylors, mahogany back/sides, satin finish with the pinless bridge. A friend of mine has the 422-R that you referred to. When we have jammed or recorded, he always uses my 412, says he loves the open tone of the mahogany compared to the rosewood. His also has the gloss finish. I must admit his is not as loud and well balanced. Let me know if your interested in the 412; it also has the luggage case. I've been using a 514CE for the last 4 years, and my wife has a 714CE, so the 412 gets little use.
Old 09-22-2000, 05:43 PM

Wink

I may be interested, I was just thinking that I would like at least one Grand Concert Taylor...you can email me at [email protected]. Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion