The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-05-2017, 03:55 PM

Default D-18GE worth the upgrade over D-18?

Hi all,
I’ve been thinking about selling one of my Rosewood guitars and replacing it with either a D-18 or a D-18GE. It seems that a used GE is about $400-500 more than a brand new D-18. Do you think it’s worth the extra cost to go for the GE? Has anyone done an A/B? I have an HD-28v and an OM28 vts and I’m pretty comfortable with both necks so the neck is not really much of an issue either way.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Lots of fans here of the D-18GE, but personally I like the Sitka topped post-2012 D-18 better, as I think it's a more versatile guitar. My history with Adi topped guitars is checkered at best... I find them great for bluegrass flatpicking, but downright strident and too dry for singer/songwriter strumming duty. The D-18 standard is a much better jack of all trades guitar, IMO. I also prefer the MLO/PA taper neck with its 1 3/4 nut and 2 3/16" string spacing over the D-18GE's much thicker mod-v neck with 2 5/16" string spacing.

Try to play both if you can and the differences will be obvious. Happy hunting!

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 11-05-2017, 04:16 PM

I prefer old, well-used guitars so that I know what I am getting in terms of both tone and geometry. However, I think that you would have to try them to decide, and it would likely come down to specific instruments even then. For example, I often liked the old plain-braced D-18s. I haven't tried the newer ones which are more similar in build to the GE.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

I've owned the Martin D-18GE and two Martin D-18 2012/newer, one of which currently. If you think Adirondack Spruce is supposed to sound better than Sitka Spruce then you MUST buy the Martin D-18GE. If you let your ears be the judge, you may opt for the Martin D-18 2012/newer model. The Martin D-18GE's Adirondack Spruce top will likely look cosmetically raunchy compared to the Martin D-18 regular's Sitka Spruce top. Cosmetics aren't, however, an indicator of tone. IMHO, the Martin D-18GE is a fine instrument, and so is the regular Martin D-18 2012/newer model. My assessment likely leaves you no better off in your knowledge of the two models. You have to play them both.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 11-05-2017, 05:06 PM

I owned a 2012 and currently a custom GE,I prefer the GE but I wouldn't mind one day to get hold of another 2012.There was a gap of 7 months between selling one and getting the other and I couldn't A/B them.The GE feels so much more solid in the low end and the building as well,I remember the 2012 a tiny bit sweeter in the trebles but easier to overdrive as well.The GE excels in bluegrass but I use it for almost everything,very versatile maybe a bit more then the 2012,especially for fingerpicking I find it clearer and more responsive.I liked more the mahogany colour of back and side of 2012 and the tortoise binding ,but I have a 2015 000-18 that substitute for that,sometimes I just stare at it for ages,almost hypnotised.Even though I think the 2012 it's a great guitar I wouldn't hesitate to choose the GE.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

I've never played a D-18 that I didn't like, and own a D-18VS mainly for the Modified V neck. It's a heckuva guitar.

But the one D-18GE that I've played a couple of times might be the best acoustic guitar I've ever played. Certainly in the top 3.

I was playing it in a shop, and thought nobody was paying any attention. When I stopped, I got a round of applause from some guy at the other end of the store. I yelled, "You could hear me?" "Oh, yeah," he replied, "that thing is a cannon."

And I was just fingerpicking to myself. I guess that thing projected better than I thought! Unbelievable guitar.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

I like the sound of sitka tops. The adi tops feel stiff to me and the sound is stiffer also. Some really like it though. But not all.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 11-05-2017, 06:02 PM

Yeah it would be nice to find a D-18 ge to test but I haven’t come across one yet. I’ve played a D-18 and it was very nice. Since moving from a HD-28 to an HD-28V I’m very curious if the D-18 GE would be a comparable upgrade as well.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:28 PM

Last winter I went to Down Home guitars in Frankfort Il. on a slow day and they left me alone in the room. I picked up every hog dread they had, including a Martin Authentic. The d-18ge was astonishing. It was head and shoulders above everything in the store. (Not just my opinion either).

I went back three days later and it was sold.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

You can split the difference with a D-18 Adirondack?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 11-05-2017, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Yes, IMO, it is well worth the difference. Mine is my favorite 14 fret dread.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:20 PM

There was another thread similar to this recently. I have both. I originally bought the D-18 2012 model after reading all the stellar reviews and it definitely lives up to the hype. Keep in mind it has the low profile neck. I prefer the mod v neck found on the D-18GE. I always told myself I would one day move up to the GE model. Then Martin discontinued the D-18GE last year. I was lucky to get one at a close out price. I planned to sell the 2012 model. But, after a while I realized the two guitars may share a common name but they are very different. The 2012 model is physically lighter in weight and tone, it sparkles. It also excels as a rhythm guitar. The D-18GE is heavier in weight and tone. It has a gorgeous sound and I don't think I will ever let it go. If you buy a new one, it will sound and feel stiff because of the red spruce top. It can take a few months before it starts to open up and will take years to fully open. If you don't want to wait for that to happen, go with the 2012 model.

Bottom line is you cannot go wrong with either, or both.

jerry
Old 11-05-2017, 08:23 PM

I chose the D-18GE over D-18, D28, D35, etc. It just had a more woody, more balanced sound.
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:31 PM

About half will say yes, the others no. So, now you're back to making the choice from your favorites. For me, it's D-18.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:32 PM

Only if it sounds better.......
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion