The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-14-2024, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Default Gibson J-200 polarized views?

Hi all, I have been looking for a good strummer and singer songwriter guitars. I have been considering a Hummingbird which I've played and am reasonably familiar with, but most of them have ultimately underwhelmed me. I've recently started focusing on the SJ-200 (either Original or Historic Custom) as they seem to be highly regarded by many as good for rythmic playing and singer songwriter duty. Having said that, folks seem to either really love them (e.g. everyone should have a J200) or feel that they are underwhelming, not dynamic, etc.. So I wanted to get diverse opinions from the AGFers who have played or owned one. How would you compare to the Hummingbird and/or the J-185, which I recognize is a little smaller and short scale? Thanks!
Old 05-14-2024, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInBethesda View Post
Hi all, I have been looking for a good strummer and singer songwriter guitars. I have been considering a Hummingbird which I've played and am reasonably familiar with, but most of them have ultimately underwhelmed me. I've recently started focusing on the SJ-200 (either Original or Historic Custom) as they seem to be highly regarded by many as good for rythmic playing and singer songwriter duty. Having said that, folks seem to either really love them (e.g. everyone should have a J200) or feel that they are underwhelming, not dynamic, etc.. So I wanted to get diverse opinions from the AGFers who have played or owned one. How would you compare to the Hummingbird and/or the J-185, which I recognize is a little smaller and short scale? Thanks!

I’ve played a few. They don’t suit my attack, which seems light. But I’m not a strummer most of the time.

I’ve only played a couple of maple guitars that stunned me. Both were doves.

I’m in the Mahogany camp, so I’d lean toward the Bird.

I’ve heard some fine J 200s when the player ain’t me. Of course, guitars sound different from the front.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 05-14-2024, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Sorry to hear you are not liking the Hummingbird. I have one (HCS original model) since a couple of months back and can't stop playing it. Sounds beautiful. With respect to the SJ-200, I've never played them, but they sure look the part!
Old 05-14-2024, 08:49 AM

I looked at J-200's for quite a while and ended up getting a Guild F-50 (now called F-55). They never impressed me enough to buy one. I kept hearing there were some good ones out there, but I never found one.

BTW, I love the F-50.

Jerry
Old 05-14-2024, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

A J-200 was long on my list because I loved the sound of that guitar coming from some 60s-70s era artists I really love. The modern J-200 just doesn't have it the way those late 50s adi/maple versions did. As a company, Gibson has gone through too many transitions and I think they've lost the plot in some ways.

After hearing one, I wound up buying an adi/maple Iris ND-200. That guitar really captures the tone from those early records and those late 50s J-200 guitars. Further in the plus column, I was able to custom size the nut width (Gibsons are just too narrow for me), the neck is more comfortable, and I saved a couple of thousand dollars.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 05-14-2024, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

A SJ-200 and a J-185 are different animals. The J-185 to me is a great all around guitar. A little smaller and easier to handle than a 200. The 200 can be quite a loud guitar if you hit it hard. Of the SJ-200s that I played recently, the Western Classic SJ-200 and the Murphy sounded the best to me. The Western is rosewood B/S and the Murphy is the standard flamed maple back.

I played a bunch of the new ‘52 reissue J-185s, but I haven’t yet found a J-185 Original to play. I played at least 5-6 of the ‘52 reissues. A couple of them sounded great. I also owned a J-185 for over 20 years.

I also played a whole bunch of Hummingbirds lately for a buddy who was buying and needed me to A/B a bunch. Of the HBs, the ones that stood out to me were the Custom Koas, the Acacia backed Custom Shop HBs at Fullers, and the Murphy HBs.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 05-14-2024, 09:31 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Never was much of a Gibson acoustic guy. That said, I do own the 635 W which is a stellar guitar (though it was a short-lived series)!

Unlike the Les Pauls and SGs, the Gibson acoustics always struck me as very... mid. They are okay, but not great. Then again, maybe I just never hit on a really good one.
Old 05-14-2024, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Never played an SJ-200 that even remotely tempted me to reach for my wallet. I seem to have radar for all the ones with extreme mid scoop, or too quiet, or very muffled tone. It’s just bizarre. Haven’t seen or played a Murphy Lab version but I doubt I’d ever spend the money anyway.
Old 05-14-2024, 11:53 AM

You cannot really judge J200s without having spent time with one built from the early-1950s into the 1960s. These sported a bracing which was unique to this model. Two wide angle X braces, above and below the soundhole, wide bridge plate, and two transverse mounted tone bars. This made for a special guitar and unlike anything Gibson made before or after.
Old 05-14-2024, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

I have a 2006 J200 that I would not part with for hardly anything. It is incredible, top to bottom. Like a Steinway piano.

I’ve owned a lot of guitars. Many high end guitars, boutique builds, several Gibsons, etc. My J200 is amazing. It is a sample size of one, but I’ve played quite a few others that were very nice. I do believe mine is the best I’ve ever heard.

Lindsey at Maple street guitars in ATL said my J200 is the best one they ever had in their shop. The break angles from the pins to the saddle, everything is just right. So I did get a good one.

It’s the “king of the flat tops” for a reason. You should play some and decide for yourself. Everyone is different.

Also, I’ve played a couple of J185’s and was very impressed. One of them was so good it haunted me for years until I acquired my J200. Definitely worth considering.
Old 05-14-2024, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

I've never been a big enough fan to spend the $5k to $6k that they generally cost new. Even the used prices were too much for me. However, I did just pick up the Epi IBG 1957 SJ200 and that guitar is phenomenal for the price.
Old 05-14-2024, 01:24 PM

Gary Davis will show you that an SJ-200 isn't just for strumming: Gary Davis

Not to say it doesn't rule the strummer's waterfront: Emmy Lou

Highly versatile. The maple makes it good for picking, the size makes it good for strumming. If I could choose between all the guitars you named, it'd be the SJ-200 hands down.

Opinions are always interesting, but no one else has your ears. There's no substitute for a test drive or two. I'd get out there a play a few.

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 05-14-2024 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-14-2024, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

You may not find a better guitar for rhythm guitar in a country band. I'd say you haven't played the right Bird. But yes J 200, love them or hate them. Only you will know.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-14-2024, 02:55 PM

Recently played an SJ-200 as well as a bunch of other higher end guitars. I settled on a Taylor 618e. The SJ-200 had a surprisingly deep and powerful bass. It is a great guitar but not my top pick which was the 618 and the Martin OM-28 (runner up). The SJ-200 and the Dove tuners were very stiff: not a deal breaker, just an observation.
Old 05-14-2024, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

I think you get different opinions because Gibson's just vary a lot.

I think you'd do yourself well t0 look at the Taylor 616 or 818, and the Guild's

Also, if you really want to think outside the box, I'm getting a Martin Custom Shop Grand Jumbo-28 with Golden Era bracing and 1935 Sunburst from Mark@Renos, for a whole heck of a lot less than the Gibson and less than the Guilds or Taylors.

It's going to be a great guitar, I just have to wait for it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion