The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-12-2017, 10:56 PM

Default What is the best sounding CHEAP guitar - with onboard electronics.?

I was in Guitar Center awhile back and played a Yamaha with a solid top that was selling for less than $200. A lot less. Unfortunately, my wife was with me so it stayed there. I dont remember if it had a pick up or not.

What are some other really good sounding cheap guitars, preferably with onboard electronics and non-cutaway.?

1954 Martin D-18
CA Bluegrass Performer
Art & Lutherie AmiCedar Parlor
Big Muddy M2 Primitive Mandolin
....and a few other odds and ends

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-13-2017 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 10-13-2017, 12:21 AM

You will find there are not many cheap guitar enthusiasts here so being one of the few.....

It would help to know your budget. I started with and still play my first $200 guitar referenced in my sig below. I don't own any acoustics with electric pickups yet. The newest version of the FG700S is now the FG800S....but double check me on that. To get one with electronics just insert the X ....FGX800, but looks like they dont offer it in a non cutaway. FGX800C for cutaway version. I wouldn't be hung up on getting an electric version though if this was a first guitar purchase.
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}

Last edited by polarred21; 10-13-2017 at 12:41 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:46 AM

I'd give a vote to those Taylor GS Mini with electronics, if they are cheap enough to you.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:33 AM
Guest 1511

Taylor's bargain bin guitars, but those probably don't fit your rubric. If we go lower then you probably just played one of the better options: Yamaha. There's also Breedlove, which is what I'd probably buy if I was strapped for funds and wanting to buy a guitar. Some like Seagulls too and they are halfway decent. But yeah, those three are consistently good enough to play without feeling like your'e plucking on a piece of cheap plywood and the sounds coming at you confirm it.

I'd steer clear of most everything else. Although my son-in-law has a Mitchell that he loves (a gift from my daughter). I spent a couple hours working on it for him. I fixed the loose stuff (which was everything). I put in a bone saddle, fixed some frets, re-cut the nut and I think I replaced the tuners, but that was a while ago. It sounded OK after that. I wouldn't want to gig with it or record with it though. But for farting around on the couch I guess it's fine.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Rat View Post
...I spent a couple hours working on it for him. I fixed the loose stuff (which was everything). I put in a bone saddle, fixed some frets, re-cut the nut and I think I replaced the tuners...
All those work made it a really expensive guitar...
Old 10-13-2017, 02:49 AM
Guest 1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillin View Post
All those work made it a really expensive guitar...
You have a point. I think it was a $149 guitar and I put about $120 into it, nearly doubling it's value!
Old 10-13-2017, 03:03 AM

Just to bring up some cheap acoustic brands you can look out for...
- Epiphone (the obvious)
- Cort
- Harley Benton (Thomann house brand)
- Sigma (DME is a cheap guitar but it's very good, no cutaway and electronics too)
Old 10-13-2017, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdumbhick View Post
I was in Guitar Center awhile back and played a Yamaha with a solid top that was selling for less than $200. A lot less. Unfortunately, my wife was with me so it stayed there. I dont remember if it had a pick up or not.

What are some other really good sounding cheap guitars, preferably with onboard electronics and non-cutaway.?

Go back buy that Yamaha, Then install a JJB Prestige 330 pickup in it for $50.

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-13-2017 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:35 AM

You honestly won't get any better than Yamaha at that price level. Yes, I'm biased-but not without good reason.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:48 AM

I like Yamaha's. I had an FG-160 that I let some woman use for a while. That was 30yrs ago.

I wonder if she's done with it yet....

That little Samick guitar in my signature was a $100 guitar and sounds amazing. Plugged in, it sounds a lot like a cross between a mandolin and guitar -largely because i play closer to the bridge. It gives you some interesting tones that work really well when accompanying another guitar player.

I currently have a friend who has an old solid wood USA made Regal, for sale with a recent neck reset, that he tells me is a tone monster.

I don't have a lot of discretionary income, and while I would love to own a '37 D-18, I can't justify that kind of money, not when there are a bunch of really good sounding sub $500 guitars available.

I've read some good stuff about Recording Kings, I've played a few killer USA made Harmony guitars (Harmony/Silvertone

1954 Martin D-18
CA Bluegrass Performer
Art & Lutherie AmiCedar Parlor
Big Muddy M2 Primitive Mandolin
....and a few other odds and ends
Old 10-13-2017, 05:56 AM

if you can stll find one of those Cordoba Acero or leona for sale.....as they discontinued, on closeout, amazing guitar all solid wood.
Martin Custom Shop OO big leaf maple/alpine spruce
Old 10-13-2017, 05:57 AM
Charter Member

Watch for one of the Alvarez Artist models that routinely go on sale at places like Musician's Friend, etc. The 2017 Artist series mostly now come with the LR Baggs Element onboard systems instead of the old System 250 and 550 and can be had for $300 or less, depending on the sale. I've never tried an Artist series guitar that wasn't very playable with nice tone, and all are solid tops. The only downside is that they don't have great resale value, if that matters to you, but then I don't think that's as big an issue in this price range.

The Alvarez would be a really decent gigging guitar.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:09 AM

I don't think there are good cheap guitars. There are guitars that are good enough. I wish I would have just saved up and skipped the buying a new guitar to have a new guitar phase. My first decent guitar was a Taylor 114e and it is worth every cent. All those 300 dollar guitars sounded ok and felt ok but do not compare. The Taylor was not that much more either, but it has what I found I liked. No gloss on the neck, and a great pickup. Hate glossy necks.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitz View Post
Go back buy that Yamaha, Then install a JJB Prestige 330 pickup in it for $50.
+1
EXACTLY what I did... love it. Cheap EQ pedal for the JJB then blended it with a mic signal. It's a solid acoustic sound, both natural and amplified, for under 500 for everything.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdumbhick View Post

To get back into playing after a 20 year hiatus, I bought an Esteban through, of all things HSN (Home Shopping Network) It came with a decent case -- not a gig bag -- and amp. Solid top, laminate back and sides. Once I adjusted the action, put on a decent set of strings, and rosewood bridge pins, it wasn't bad at all. Total cost with the new strings and pins was under $150. Never used the amp until I tested to make sure that it worked before donating it to a local middle school's music program when I upgraded. It was a good way to get started again.
Blueridge BR-142
Recording King R0-T16
Alvarez AP66SHB

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-13-2017 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Edited quote

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion