The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-04-2024, 05:48 AM

They are both lovely guitars. The Collings has the typically wonderful clarity, but my preference would be for the warmth of the Martin. But I'll take either.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 05-04-2024, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
They are both lovely guitars. The Collings has the typically wonderful clarity, but my preference would be for the warmth of the Martin. But I'll take either.
Thanks for sharing your preference. Both are super excellent. I am doing a couple gigs on Sunday. Brunch show and then a Ritz Carlton Restaurant gig Sunday night. That's the ideal place to find out how the Martin will perform since it's a much quieter sonic backdrop.

It may be time for me to install a Baggs Anthem in the Collings OM1C so I can gig with it as well.
Collings D1 Traditional
Collings OM1C
Martin OM-28 Custom Cutaway
Gibson EC Ebony Songwriter Custom
Emerald X20
Emerald X30
Martin OMC-28 Custom
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Fender 61 Wildwood 10 Strat
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC

www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 05-04-2024, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Hey Todd, always good to get your thoughts. I am in complete agreement with you. I agree the Aura has a lot of 'sheen'. It is surprisingly good in ways although I remember trying one many years ago and the battery life is like 27 hours if memory serves? And they die with no warning so I will have to commit to installing a new battery every 4 -5 gigs for good measure. This guitar is a 2017 Custom shop order so I imaging the Aura VT Enhance is from the same era I have experience with.
Yeah, that system sucks batteries and it is not an elegant low-voltage situation - it starts crackling really loudly, sounds like the something is about to explode. Scared the snot out of me first time it happened on a gig. I can't recall if I tried a rechargeable 9V in that system. I try to go rechargeable where I can but sometimes they don't have enough voltage for the preamp to work correctly. I end up using regular Duracells in my Fodera with the Pope preamp.

The good thing is battery change is quick, at least if it is the system with the door next to the jack. If it was an interior pack that would suck big time and you'd really have to religiously be changing batteries before they fail.

To me the Aura sounded the most like an "acoustic guitar" of any setup (contained in the guitar) that I've played. I went with the NC-2 in both Collings mostly for the low footprint the system has, and accept the minor downsides of having a bit more of an electric vibe to the plugged in sound and having to watch my pick location. But if I'm leaning more fingerstyle, then that is a non-issue. Plus having the same pickup means any levels or eq are going to be relatively consistent between the two, though I rarely take two acoustic guitars on a gig - almost always guitar and dobro.

Your stuff sounds great as always . My new 002 14-fret will see its first gig today, should be fun.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 05-04-2024, 11:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
Yeah, that system sucks batteries and it is not an elegant low-voltage situation - it starts crackling really loudly, sounds like the something is about to explode. Scared the snot out of me first time it happened on a gig. I can't recall if I tried a rechargeable 9V in that system. I try to go rechargeable where I can but sometimes they don't have enough voltage for the preamp to work correctly. I end up using regular Duracells in my Fodera with the Pope preamp.

The good thing is battery change is quick, at least if it is the system with the door next to the jack. If it was an interior pack that would suck big time and you'd really have to religiously be changing batteries before they fail.

To me the Aura sounded the most like an "acoustic guitar" of any setup (contained in the guitar) that I've played. I went with the NC-2 in both Collings mostly for the low footprint the system has, and accept the minor downsides of having a bit more of an electric vibe to the plugged in sound and having to watch my pick location. But if I'm leaning more fingerstyle, then that is a non-issue. Plus having the same pickup means any levels or eq are going to be relatively consistent between the two, though I rarely take two acoustic guitars on a gig - almost always guitar and dobro.

Your stuff sounds great as always . My new 002 14-fret will see its first gig today, should be fun.
I like your approach of keeping things standardized where possible. That makes dialing in your sound easier I know. Let me know how your 002-14 Fret Collings worked out.

I will gig the Martin OM-28 Custom cutaway on Sunday (today when you're reading this) at a Ritz Carlton patio that I play monthly. It offers a very serene and quiet sonic backdrop to really let the guitar showcase its strengths. I play another series of restaurant/bars that are very loud in terms of crowd noise. I need the bolder richer sounds of a dread at those venues. Choose the right tool for the job right?
Collings D1 Traditional
Collings OM1C
Emerald X20
Emerald X30
Martin OMC-28 Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC

www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 05-05-2024, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I like your approach of keeping things standardized where possible. That makes dialing in your sound easier I know. Let me know how your 002-14 Fret Collings worked out.

I will gig the Martin OM-28 Custom cutaway on Sunday (today when you're reading this) at a Ritz Carlton patio that I play monthly. It offers a very serene and quiet sonic backdrop to really let the guitar showcase its strengths. I play another series of restaurant/bars that are very loud in terms of crowd noise. I need the bolder richer sounds of a dread at those venues. Choose the right tool for the job right?
Absolutely. One argument for having more than one instrument :-D

I had really high expectations for the 002. On the gig it exceeded them. I thought it would be a guitar that was easy to overpower but it took everything I threw at it. The sound profile complements my voice - the guitar doesn't have a huge bottom but my voice does. A few quick edits straight out of camera:

fingerstyle: https://youtu.be/cIePLRsaSFo
fingerstyle w/solos: https://youtu.be/LPBfhPNn37k
strummed: https://youtu.be/h2O5BncbAZ4
strummed w/some chorus: https://youtu.be/J2ohPVvKdxc

Thrilled with the guitar. Hope your OM does well in the quiet environment. For your solo stuff in a loud place, I can see that a dread really is the best fit.

Old 05-05-2024, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

I lean toward the Martin, but that's because I'm biased that way. Bottom line; keep both! They're both stereotypical of what they represent, both well balanced, & both sound fantastic!
Steve
Old 05-05-2024, 01:19 PM

I love them both equally, and for playing amplified I probably wouldn't bother to intellectualize the difference. But then I choose to play both mahogany (Martin) and Rosewood (Bourgeois) for the special gifts they offer. For me the neck would be a bigger concern as I've never got on with the Collings neck profile.

BTW, that's a very choice collection of electrics you have their as well. :-)
2 tele partscasters
Yamaha Pacifica 611 VFM
Old 05-06-2024, 12:25 AM
Charter Member

I did a few gigs the past 4 days and the Martin OM-28 Custom sounds great but I am not getting on with the Fishman Aura VT enhance. It sounds very bright even with the tone knob rolled to its lowest setting. It also does not work with my Sennheisser XSW guitar wireless. I switched to a guitar cable and it works every time.

I'm not sure I want to chase Pickup swapping consider the time and $$ involved.

Also, the OM-28 was simply sounding very lean, pristine and just a touch thin. This is probably true of most rosewood OM's. It's an exceptional guitar no doubt, but after these gig demo's, I'm not sure The OM-28 Custom is the right guitar for my needs. I have another day or two in the trial period. As cool as it is, and a very good price (Used 2017 Custom Shop model), it might go back.
Collings D1 Traditional
Collings OM1C
Emerald X20
Emerald X30
Martin OMC-28 Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC

www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 05-06-2024, 04:00 AM

As an owner of a Collings D1T (which I think you also have Gary?) I am drawn to that OM1C.

Collings + Mahogany = 😁😁😁
Old 05-06-2024, 09:01 AM

Quote:
I did a few gigs the past 4 days and the Martin OM-28 Custom sounds great but I am not getting on with the Fishman Aura VT enhance. It sounds very bright even with the tone knob rolled to its lowest setting. It also does not work with my Sennheisser XSW guitar wireless. I switched to a guitar cable and it works every time.

I'm not sure I want to chase Pickup swapping consider the time and $$ involved.

Also, the OM-28 was simply sounding very lean, pristine and just a touch thin. This is probably true of most rosewood OM's. It's an exceptional guitar no doubt, but after these gig demo's, I'm not sure The OM-28 Custom is the right guitar for my needs. I have another day or two in the trial period. As cool as it is, and a very good price (Used 2017 Custom Shop model), it might go back.
Sounds like you were able to give it a fair shot. Get a pup in that Collings!
Old 05-06-2024, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC. View Post
As an owner of a Collings D1T (which I think you also have Gary?) I am drawn to that OM1C.

Collings + Mahogany = 😁😁😁
Yes I also have a Collings D1 Traditional Sunburst that is amazing. I need to get a Pick up in the Collings OM1C. I was waiting for the upcoming Baggs Duet. Hoping it releases sometime soon.
Collings D1 Traditional
Collings OM1C
Emerald X20
Emerald X30
Martin OMC-28 Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC

www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 05-06-2024, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes I also have a Collings D1 Traditional Sunburst that is amazing. I need to get a Pick up in the Collings OM1C. I was waiting for the upcoming Baggs Duet. Hoping it releases sometime soon.
You could slap an NC-2 into it for the interim. Quick/easy to reverse once the Duet releases.

If the Aura sounds fantastic to you then may be worth the downsides but seems the juice isn’t really worth the squeeze. I don’t think it is trivial to pull that and replace with something else but I could be wring.

Old 05-06-2024, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
You could slap an NC-2 into it for the interim. Quick/easy to reverse once the Duet releases.

If the Aura sounds fantastic to you then may be worth the downsides but seems the juice isn’t really worth the squeeze. I don’t think it is trivial to pull that and replace with something else but I could be wring.
The Aura VT enhance is nice but it didn’t rock my world. Basically has one sound and is pretty bright and lean despite rolling down the tone knob. Gonna pass on chasing this. I human tip many other guitars that I am super happy with.
Collings D1 Traditional
Collings OM1C
Emerald X20
Emerald X30
Martin OMC-28 Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC

www.heartsoulaz.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion