The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-30-2024, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

FWIW, I picked up a Martin Grand J-16 12 string just over two months ago. It isn't a "budget" guitar per se, but perhaps a "mid priced" offering (a lot less than many of the other US made options).

I have to say, I like it a LOT. It is better (to me) than many much more expensive 12s I've played. I do plan to do (or probably have done) a bit of setup work, likely including a new nut to pull the string pairs just oh so slightly closer together (as I like to play fingerstyle on it). But the guitar is good, really good for an instrument at that pricepoint. I actually had planned on buying a different guitar that was nearly twice as expensive, but ended up with this one instead.

Oh, and yep, it's a jumbo, so the bass is awesome...
Old 04-30-2024, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by architectx View Post
a new nut to pull the string pairs just oh so slightly closer together (as I like to play fingerstyle on it).
Here's some info I can pass along on that. Info hard to come by it seems. Worked great for me.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...21&postcount=4
Old 04-30-2024, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
Thanks for listening, felt that it was a pretty good account for what the guitar can do. one thing for sure, It's loud!

It comes stocked with 10-gauge strings. Just wanted to mention.

Looking at the new ones I don't see a pickup listed in the specs for the listings on Sweetwater. Mine came with a Fishman PreSonus.

You can hear some of that in the video as I blended in a bit of what was coming out of my studio monitors.

That particular model ships with a Guild Sem-soft gib bag. Pretty good quality case from what I can see.

I did buy a Gator hard case for this one though.

I don't know if the semi-soft cases handle the dry climates during new England winters all that well.

While I'm sure one of the US Based Guild 12s are wonderful, this is 3x / 4x less money but IMO not 3x/4x less of a guitar

Very solid. I've had this since 2018, no issues at all.

> "I don't know if the semi-soft cases handle the dry climates during new England winters all that well."

I have 5 instruments kept in padded gig bags. Four of these are Guild Deluxe and Premium bags and the other is a Sigma bag for a very nice Sigma SG-200 laminate Jumbo J-200 knock-off. All my instruments stay in their cases when they are not being played. I had looked into a Guild hard case for the F-1512, but it was about $300, and that was a couple of years ago. Didn't get it. My other guitars have hard shell cases.

I use Oasis in-case humidifiers in a drafty old New England house. The dryness of heating in winter takes all the humidity out of the air. So does AC, by the way. Fan of fans and not a fan of AC. I supplement with room humidifiers since the dryness is not good for people either. I also have some small hygrometers with which I track the in-case humidity levels.

I was pleasantly surprised with the results of the gig bags overall in handling New England winter 'dry' seasons. In keeping the relative humidity above 40%, they actually out-performed the hard-shell cases overall. I track the results each winter for stats, noting outside temps and indoor humidity. In-house thermostats are set to 62 degrees year round.

Be well and play well,

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 04-30-2024 at 08:40 AM. Reason: proof-reading
Old 04-30-2024, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architectx View Post
FWIW, I picked up a Martin Grand J-16 12 string just over two months ago. It isn't a "budget" guitar per se, but perhaps a "mid priced" offering (a lot less than many of the other US made options).

I have to say, I like it a LOT. It is better (to me) than many much more expensive 12s I've played. I do plan to do (or probably have done) a bit of setup work, likely including a new nut to pull the string pairs just oh so slightly closer together (as I like to play fingerstyle on it). But the guitar is good, really good for an instrument at that pricepoint. I actually had planned on buying a different guitar that was nearly twice as expensive, but ended up with this one instead.

Oh, and yep, it's a jumbo, so the bass is awesome...

When auditioning 12 strings last week, I was down to that J12-16 model and the Larrivee L-09-12. I ended up liking the Larrivee a little better but it could have gone either way. They made the body 000 depth, which is smart for comfort.
Old 04-30-2024, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlyn View Post
> "I don't know if the semi-soft cases handle the dry climates during new England winters all that well."

I have 5 instruments kept in padded gig bags. Four of these are Guild Deluxe and Premium bags and the other is a Sigma bag for a very nice Sigma SG-200 laminate Jumbo J-200 knock-off. All my instruments stay in their cases when they are not being played. I had looked into a Guild hard case for the F-1512, but it was about $300, and that was a couple of years ago. Didn't get it. My other guitars have hard shell cases.

I use Oasis in-case humidifiers in a drafty old New England house. The dryness of heating in winter takes all the humidity out of the air. So does AC, by the way. Fan of fans and not a fan of AC. I supplement with room humidifiers since the dryness is not good for people either. I also have some small hygrometers with which I track the in-case humidity levels.

I was pleasantly surprised with the results of the gig bags overall in handling New England winter 'dry' seasons. In keeping the relative humidity above 40%, they actually out-performed the hard-shell cases overall. I track the results each winter for stats, noting outside temps and indoor humidity. In-house thermostats are set to 62 degrees year round.

Be well and play well,

Don
That is interesting feedback Don

I'm in Central Mass. (Worcester County)

I suppose I should have given that semi-soft case a chance
I still have it but the Gator case is where I keep it when not playing/

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 04-30-2024, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

What a wonderful (12 string) world. I was bitten by the bug back in ‘70s and have glad-fully never recovered. My main 12 since 1987 is my Guild JF65-12 and I’m currently awaiting delivery of (a back-ordered) Reverend Airwave 12.
Old 04-30-2024, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingahPickah View Post
What a wonderful (12 string) world. I was bitten by the bug back in ‘70s and have glad-fully never recovered. My main 12 since 1987 is my Guild JF65-12 and I’m currently awaiting delivery of (a back-ordered) Reverend Airwave 12.
Yes, I got my first 12-string in 1966 when I was 18 years old, a Harmony H1270. I have never been without one since.

- Glenn
Old 04-30-2024, 08:44 PM

Well, just sold one of my electric guitars to fund an F1512. Hoping to be able to make a trip to Sweetwater this week.
Old 05-01-2024, 05:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonA View Post
Well, just sold one of my electric guitars to fund an F1512. Hoping to be able to make a trip to Sweetwater this week.
That is awesome. Please be sure to report back (and maybe even share photos) of the 1512 when you get it. I wish I had a place to go play a couple of the Guilds, don't believe I've ever even held one.
Old 05-01-2024, 02:33 PM

I did something I never do. I ordered it today without playing it first. They had just 1 left, so I didn't want to risk it not being there by the weekend.
Old 05-03-2024, 04:29 PM

Recieved it a few hours ago. All in all I'm impressed and think it's a keeper. It needs a setup. I'm comfortable with truss rod and saddle adjustments, but it also needs some attention at the nut, and I've never dabbled with that and don't care to practice on this guitar.
I will say that I can definitely hear the rosewood, and it's something I need to get used to. I've really come to love mahogany in the last few years. I feel like rosewood has a somewhat harder and snappier tone. But it also has new strings I need to break in, so I know that's part of it.
Going to have to have a pickup installed if I keep her (which I'm pretty sure I am). Probably will go the LR Baggs Anthem route for that... Unless 12 strings don't play well with those?
Old 05-04-2024, 01:01 PM

After a day I'm already used to the rosewood. It's a beautiful sounding guitar! As stated already, the nut is just a little high, so it does need a setup. Other than that, it plays really nicely.
Old 05-04-2024, 05:17 PM

Congratulations! Here's a vid for inspiration

https://youtu.be/2xPzrSNChTg?si=cOwNV4D64mZxVsrt
Old 05-04-2024, 05:22 PM

I ended up with a Taylor 150e.
Old 05-04-2024, 07:20 PM

Entering the world of 12 strings

ShannonA,

Congrats. Seems you have already bonded with it. I foresee a bright future for you.

Be well and enjoy playing the music,

(_o)===###

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion