The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-03-2024, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRL View Post
Step 1: list your gear at higher than the going rate.
Step 2: make several fake reverb accounts.
Step 3: make very friendly offers on all competing gear priced lower than yours.
Step 4: offers are accepted, don't pay on any of them.
Step 5: now your gear is the cheapest one, or at least has a lot less competition.
Step 6: repeat as needed.

This has been a big problem on reverb with effects pedals and electronic music gear, for years and years.

The solution is to just turn off offers and price your gear fairly for what it is. It'll sell eventually. If it doesn't, your price is probably too high.
That sound’s like good advice. Fair and honest. It should work but in today’s world it’s hard to know how far fair and honest will get you, both seem out of style. Imma try that, I have some things I need to sell so thanks for this post!
Old 04-03-2024, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
hey - guess what just happened again today???? This time the person actually paid but asked for a refund before I got it shipped, which I was literally just about to leave to go drop off. It was a pedal, so way less work, but another example of the nonsense that flies at Reverb these days. So dumb.
That's really annoying. Last weekend I drove 20 minutes (each direction) to pick up a guitar from someone on FB marketplace and when I got there they said they decided to go get it appraised to make sure the price was right. They refused to sell it to me for the list price. Unbelievable, especially since the agreed price was actually good for them and it was a cheap old beat up budget guitar not really worth anything. I told them off with some strong language and she acted like she did nothing wrong. I imagine people are even worse online where they don't have to see you face to face.
Old 04-03-2024, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

I've used Reverb since the early days, mostly for buying and selling lower priced gear like effects pedals. I also go there if I'm looking for something somewhat obscure that I can't find through other channels.

For guitars, and high dollar items, I've mostly sold through dealer consignments, forums like TGP, and more recently here on AGF. I've never had a problem on either.

Recently I listed an expensive ($9000) guitar on Reverb for the first time. Somoene payed full price, received it, then after a few days claimed it was not all original as advertised, and said I either had to give him a substantial discount or he would initiate a return. I had the "no returns" option checked on Reverb, but that doesn't hold up if an item is deemed "not as described". The problem is, who is the arbiter for that? Apparently on Reverb these days it is the buyer, full stop. The guitar was all original as advertised, and luckily for me I had photos from the original manufacturer to prove it. In reality, I'm convinced it had nothing to do with this.....the buyer just had buyer's remorse or wanted to try it with no obligation. I did a search through the buyer's feedback on Reverb, as well as found discussions in online forums that were clearly about the same guy. He has a history of ordering high dollar guitars then returning them for totally BS reasons on Reverb.

I'm not Guitar Center, and I am not in the business of shipping expensive guitars around the country for tire kickers to try out for no charge. Had the buyer been required to pay shipping and insurance both ways, at least I would have broken even. Fine. But those fees go to the seller in this case, and it was going to cost me over $500 in shipping and insurance if the guitar was returned.

Maybe this is a rare occurrence, I don't know. I will not be selling anything over $500 or that costs me more that $20 to ship on Reverb going forward. It's just not worth the time and risk IMO.

Last edited by Palladio; 04-03-2024 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-04-2024, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladio View Post

Recently I listed an expensive ($9000) guitar on Reverb for the first time. Somoene payed full price, received it, then after a few days claimed it was not all original as advertised, and said I either had to give him a substantial discount or he would initiate a return.... I did a search through the buyer's feedback on Reverb, as well as found discussions in online forums that were clearly about the same guy. He has a history of ordering high dollar guitars then returning them for totally BS reasons on Reverb.
That is a cautionary tale. Just as one would check feedback as a buyer dealing with an unknown seller, it is prudent to check the same for an unknown buyer. If someone has a history of buyer's remorse, or is just "unsavory," either do not do business with them, or, well, just do not do business with them. Got to wonder if a person who does not engage in the usual negotiations has alterior motives, knowing that Reverb gives them a featherbed.

Sorry to hear about your situation.

David
Old 04-04-2024, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
I am not sure how you got that info or what you did to get you that fee structure, but that's just not even close to right.
I wracked my brain - I just learned that they revamped their process as they had a rocky start - I specifically remember the fee *used* to be outrageously high and they didn't give an option for a cash payout. If I am wrong then thats the impression I got and their failure was making it clear

But I also remember I couldn't even list something unless I signed up with all my gift-card payment info first......

Maybe that was an early iteration - I admit I was so turned off that I haven't even considered listing with them since then

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 04-04-2024, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

"Recently I listed an expensive ($9000) guitar on Reverb for the first time. Somoene payed full price, received it, then after a few days claimed it was not all original as advertised, and said I either had to give him a substantial discount or he would initiate a return. I had the "no returns" option checked on Reverb, but that doesn't hold up if an item is deemed "not as described". The problem is, who is the arbiter for that? Apparently on Reverb these days it is the buyer, full stop. The guitar was all original as advertised, and luckily for me I had photos from the original manufacturer to prove it. In reality, I'm convinced it had nothing to do with this.....the buyer just had buyer's remorse or wanted to try it with no obligation. I did a search through the buyer's feedback on Reverb, as well as found discussions in online forums that were clearly about the same guy. He has a history of ordering high dollar guitars then returning them for totally BS reasons on Reverb."

Not so rare. Exactly the same happened to me a few years ago on Reverb. Froggy Bottom Parlor. The buyer in my case waited 10 days and wanted a refund. Longer story than that, no need to beleaguer. The buyer was an unethical *******. It all worked out in the end, I put back up for sale, Reverb credited me any fees and it sold right after I listed again. The new buyer was thrilled.

Never again for me. If it's received as advertised, I ain't taking it back. I have a guitar for sale now, hopefully my last. It's a very nice Martin and I'd love to list on the UMGF has a mandatory 48 (or 72, I don't remember) hour return policy. That's a good policy with ethical buyers. I was naive, and I didn't realize how deeply unethical some people are. I won't take that chance again.

Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Fairbanks F20
Rainsong CO-OM1100NST
Old 04-04-2024, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

I recently sold a guitar on Reverb, and all went well. I recently bought a guitar on Reverb, and all went well. I realize that if someone has a Reverb transaction that goes sideways, that is their frame of reference. However, I'd guess that the vast majority of Reverb transactions go as expected. I've had transactions on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, UMGF and even AGF go wrong. Do you want to hear about them? I didn't think so. I generally just keep it to myself and move on. Life's too short to do otherwise...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 04-04-2024 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-04-2024, 12:36 PM

I don't have any issue with Reverb except for their every increasing fees. That's the only think I feel is getting out of hand with Reverb. I have sold 30-40 guitars and amps on Reverb, with no issues. All price points. I write extremely clear descriptions, I detail every single thing that could possibly be found by a buyer BEFORE they buy it so all parties are on the same page.

I talk about why you should buy from me, and not the other 27 joe blows on Reverb with the same instrument (1. My ratings, 2. I give 7 days to return for any reason, 3. I take amazing care of my guitars with proof, 4. I write excellent descriptions of the instrument with everything you would want to know, and START with a price a mid-point for the past year's selling prices for that particular instrument).

I have never had any post-sales issues, and out of 36 guitars sold, not a single one has come back, and that again is I feel, because I work so hard on my descriptions and pictures (I feel). I have only had 2 buyers back out of a transaction, and I quickly sold the instruments after that. If a buyer backs out, I will go back to the advert, and specifically state - up front, beginning of ad - that the instrument is back up on Reverb because a buyer back out, and I offer screenshots of communications as proof in case somebody thinks I am fibbing.

Maybe I don't sell enough stuff to see tha bad. Maybe I ward off crap buyers with all my work on my descriptions (they see they will have an issue scamming me) I don't know, but I have rarely had an issue, and never a serious selling issue. I have had much worse experiences purchasing.
2021 Martin HD-28 1935 Sunburst
2022 Martin Special 16
2003 Alvarez AJ-60e
2018 Les Paul Standard
2020 61 SG reissue
2013 Fender Mustang Bass
Old 04-04-2024, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldstar View Post
I don't have any issue with Reverb except for their every increasing fees. That's the only think I feel is getting out of hand with Reverb. I have sold 30-40 guitars and amps on Reverb, with no issues. All price points. I write extremely clear descriptions, I detail every single thing that could possibly be found by a buyer BEFORE they buy it so all parties are on the same page.

I talk about why you should buy from me, and not the other 27 joe blows on Reverb with the same instrument (1. My ratings, 2. I give 7 days to return for any reason, 3. I take amazing care of my guitars with proof, 4. I write excellent descriptions of the instrument with everything you would want to know, and START with a price a mid-point for the past year's selling prices for that particular instrument).

I have never had any post-sales issues, and out of 36 guitars sold, not a single one has come back, and that again is I feel, because I work so hard on my descriptions and pictures (I feel). I have only had 2 buyers back out of a transaction, and I quickly sold the instruments after that. If a buyer backs out, I will go back to the advert, and specifically state - up front, beginning of ad - that the instrument is back up on Reverb because a buyer back out, and I offer screenshots of communications as proof in case somebody thinks I am fibbing.

Maybe I don't sell enough stuff to see tha bad. Maybe I ward off crap buyers with all my work on my descriptions (they see they will have an issue scamming me) I don't know, but I have rarely had an issue, and never a serious selling issue. I have had much worse experiences purchasing.
Relatively small sample size, so not surprised you've had no issues. I have sold several hundred things over the years and the percentage of issues is really small.

Good descriptions, clear policies, etc...those are good, but they wouldn't stop anything that's been happening lately to me from happening. The only thing that would/could would be to just shut off the offer option, but, that won't stop what happened yesterday.

The fact that there is no recourse for the sellers in this instance, and the review system only exists for completed transactions shows a flawed system that is in need of correction.
Old 04-05-2024, 02:41 AM

Default Mint means mint!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I buy and sell a lot of guitar stuff, and FWIW I have never and would never list an item as "MINT." My perception of mint is based on being a young coin collector back in the day, and mint mean straight from the place where it was minted. Translate that into guitars and in my mind would mean straight from the factory or dealer before being opened or played. I realize that not everybody uses my narrow definition...
Not a narrow definition, just an accurate one. Mint means the item should be like new, from the mint, or minted! Which is why I also avoid using the term when selling unless the item has genuinely never been used.

Quite some time ago I had a seller claiming mint didn’t mean no marks or scratches as an excuse for some serious string gouges behind the bridge of a classical guitar. In fairness, after arguing back and forth he did offer a partial refund.
Old 04-05-2024, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

I have had most all the issues others have stated so far. I have always under rated my guitars so that I couldn't be taken to task about it. Reverb has become something that has devolved into another has been. Given some time something will replace it like what happened to eBay. It won't be exactly the same as guitar buying and selling has or is changing as we speak. Let the past go and move on.

Creativity comes more easily with a good dose of fool
Old 04-05-2024, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

I've had mostly good luck on Reverb. There has been a change in tone since they cashed out and Etsy took over. I've shopped on Etsy with satisfaction but that's for low-price crafts items so not sure they really understand this market.

The last two guitars I sold were sold on AGF. I offer a discount to incentivize people to upgrade to charter membership (my way of paying back).

No seller fees, but shipping costs are a lot higher since Reverb gets a significant shipping discount with UPS.

The last two transactions were terrific on AGF - nice buyers and a nice friendly transaction.

My days of "flipping" guitars and searching for "the one" are mostly over......I'll surely do a little bit, if the right thing comes along, but I'm glad have wound down my eBay and Reverb days.......

Old 04-05-2024, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I've had mostly good luck on Reverb. There has been a change in tone since they cashed out and Etsy took over. I've shopped on Etsy with satisfaction but that's for low-price crafts items so not sure they really understand this market.

The last two guitars I sold were sold on AGF. I offer a discount to incentivize people to upgrade to charter membership (my way of paying back).

No seller fees, but shipping costs are a lot higher since Reverb gets a significant shipping discount with UPS.

The last two transactions were terrific on AGF - nice buyers and a nice friendly transaction.

My days of "flipping" guitars and searching for "the one" are mostly over......I'll surely do a little bit, if the right thing comes along, but I'm glad have wound down my eBay and Reverb days.......
pirateship.com helps a lot with shipping cost
Old 04-05-2024, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacot23 View Post
Thanks - I never heard of them - Ill give them a try next time

Old 04-05-2024, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Smile This

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacot23 View Post
Pirate ship is also very helpful if something goes sideways with your shipping. They have a direct way to contact the shippers.

They don’t actually do the shipping. They just hook you up with better prices at UPS and USPS, and they do have insurance as well.

That said, too. I’m glad I’m not selling or buying much anymore.

Things change and that’s just the way it goes…

Play well and have fun.

Paul.
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

Last edited by Guitars44me; 04-05-2024 at 10:35 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion