The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-21-2014, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Reading the comments, I definitely will have to search out and try the OM18A - but with my experiences with SCGC OMs, that bar is gonna be very, very high. Especially with the quality issues that seem to keep coming up with high end Martins. My mahogany/adi short-scale cutaway SCGC OM is about as perfect an OM as I've had my hands on -
Old 05-21-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsmile View Post
I agree in Rosewood but the hog has a great balance.
Interesting to know fullsmile, thanks for the feedback. I haven't seen a mahogany OM/PW but assumed it's balance would be similar to the rosewood version (which I have) because of the bracing.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:00 PM

Interesting you mentioned that comparison as I did just that recently. I preferred both a Santa Cruz OM/PW and Santa Cruz OM Grand to the Martin. Based on the one comparison, for 5 grand I can think of any number of choices I would look at before the Martin. Additionally, I think a non adjustable truss rod is a real drawback in a modern guitar. Good luck with your search.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfden1 View Post
Interesting to know fullsmile, thanks for the feedback. I haven't seen a mahogany OM/PW but assumed it's balance would be similar to the rosewood version (which I have) because of the bracing.
I can't say for sure but i do own a SC 000 and it has quite a bit more bass. The PW is designed for a deeper bass v the standard OM but i find the mahogany balances it out a bit. I also love the rosewood version as i like a bit of bass. I just went for hog because i already owned the 000
Old 05-22-2014, 08:41 AM

It's helpful to know that I might be able to expect a little more balance on a mahogany OM/PW.

Regarding Bourgeois, I've only really ever given one a serious look, and it was when I was shopping for a mahogany dread. I ended up choosing a Martin D-18A 1937 over the Bourgeois, but it was close. Something like this looks really nice though: http://artisanguitars.com/bourgeois-...nd-mahogany-2/. I would love to give one of those a try.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

I think it's a toss up. But it's harder to compare since all the OM-18As come strung with 13s and the SCGC OMs use 12s. Huge tonal difference between 12s and 13s...it's not really an equal playing field.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:57 AM

Only when they are able to make guitars as consistently as BIC pens, toaster ovens, pencils; etc., will questions such as this be valid.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

That is a tough choice both are great guitars!!! Kind of a toss up in my book. I'd probably lean towards the Santa Cruz. Even though the burst on those Martin OM-18As is awesome, I'm not a burst fan so it would kill the Martin for me.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 05-22-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRuskin View Post
Only when they are able to make guitars as consistently as BIC pens, toaster ovens, pencils; etc., will questions such as this be valid.
While I agree that no two guitars are identical, there are definitely consistencies within a shop that distinguish it from other shops. You might not be able to define the tone precisely, but you can usually characterize it pretty well based on other examples. I also find fit, finish, and playability to be pretty consistent within a shop, especially on the higher end.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:19 PM

Default The Hunts Comes to an End

After playing more guitars over the past several weeks than I can keep track of, my search has reached its conclusion. Fortunately, I have been traveling quite a bit the past few weeks, so I have been able to hit numerous high-end guitar shops around the US. And I ended up in a place I really hadn't anticipated. It goes to show that a thorough hunt really is worth it. (Plus, the hunt is a lot of fun, isn't it?)

So I am the proud owner of a gorgeous new Huss and Dalton custom TOM-M. It's built with a torrefied ("thermo cured") Adirondack top, Belizean sinker mahogany back and sides, and hide glue construction. The finish on it is absolutely gorgeous, but the sweet tone is what sealed the deal for me.

It already has a very old sound, although it is different from what I have typically had in my stable. Swapping back and forth between the H&D and my D-18A '37 is like crossing back and forth between two very different (and exceedingly pleasant) universes. The clarity and balance on the H&D are two tonal features that really stand out--as good as I've heard on any guitar I've played. And this little box seems to have unlimited headroom. I can drive it really hard without overloading it, and it gets surprisingly loud while still maintaining its sweetness.

I want to thank everyone here for the helpful feedback and discussion. I'm really happy with how the process ended up, and I can't say it would've necessarily gone the same way if not for some of the thoughts and suggestions offered up here. Thank you.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:58 PM

Congratulations on your choice, and especially your willingness to do the necessary legwork to make sure it's the right choice.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejchis View Post
So I am the proud owner of a gorgeous new Huss and Dalton custom TOM-M. It's built with a torrefied ("thermo cured") Adirondack top, Belizean sinker mahogany back and sides, and hide glue construction. The finish on it is absolutely gorgeous, but the sweet tone is what sealed the deal for me.

It already has a very old sound, although it is different from what I have typically had in my stable. Swapping back and forth between the H&D and my D-18A '37 is like crossing back and forth between two very different (and exceedingly pleasant) universes. The clarity and balance on the H&D are two tonal features that really stand out--as good as I've heard on any guitar I've played. And this little box seems to have unlimited headroom. I can drive it really hard without overloading it, and it gets surprisingly loud while still maintaining its sweetness.

I want to thank everyone here for the helpful feedback and discussion. I'm really happy with how the process ended up, and I can't say it would've necessarily gone the same way if not for some of the thoughts and suggestions offered up here. Thank you.
Great choice! Please start a separate New Guitar Day thread and include some pictures. We eat that stuff up around here!

All the best, and congratulations.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 06-04-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejchis View Post
After playing more guitars over the past several weeks than I can keep track of, my search has reached its conclusion. Fortunately, I have been traveling quite a bit the past few weeks, so I have been able to hit numerous high-end guitar shops around the US. And I ended up in a place I really hadn't anticipated. It goes to show that a thorough hunt really is worth it. (Plus, the hunt is a lot of fun, isn't it?)

Congrats! I'd love to hear it. Sounds like it beat out some pretty stiff competition!
Old 06-04-2014, 04:42 PM

Cool choice. I've been wondering hiw all the new "aged" top guitars sound. I guess I need to make the drive to a HD dealer and try one out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
authentic, om-18a, om/pw, santa cruz