The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-21-2014, 09:02 AM

A few comments on the solid advice that Methos1979 offers:

While it's true that inexpensive XLR cables may sound just fine, the key issue with them is durability. The trick with these cables is to get one with well built and designed connectors and decent cable. No point in investing a lot of money in high-end XLR cables, but durable ones will run you more than the cheapest ones available.

For guitar cables, in addition to matters of durability, there are actual sound differences (this is because of the kind of signal the cables are designed to pass and the way they do it). Some people are prepared to invest a lot of money in the persuit of tone. It's up to you how much that matters to you. I'm happy with your basic good middle-of-the-road cables--again with an eye to durability. I have some decent ones by ProCo and a few nicer ones by Planet Waves and Monster. I got the Monster cable on clearance and I'm now on my 3rd replacement of it (luckily these come with a no questions asked lifetime replacement guarrantee). I can't recommend the extra money you'd have to spend on these cables at full regular price, and there are others that come with the same guarrantee. The Planet Waves cable I have, also with that guarrantee, has been terrific, and it offered a very good balance between price and quality. They can be had here in the U.S. for around $20 for a 10 foot cable with a right angle plug for the guitar end:

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-A...strument+cable

Highly recommended.

Dava: vocal mics can be very "voice specific," and at some point in the game, once they've developed a very clear sense of how best to use their mic and the sound they want to achieve, many people go in search for the one that best fits there voice. But that mic you have now, the Sennheiser e835, is a very good, well respected vocal mic for stage use. Whether or not it's the best mic for your voice is something that time and experience will tell, but there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to get a very good vocal sound with it. I don't know anything about how the Laney amp handles vocals, or how the reverb sounds, but as I said, get the right cable for your mic and spend some time experimenting and practicing with it before you abandon that basic set-up.

Louis
Old 04-21-2014, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
A few comments on the solid advice that Methos1979 offers:

While it's true that inexpensive XLR cables may sound just fine, the key issue with them is durability.

Louis
I would whole-heartedly agree with Louis on this. A cable that looks like it's durable usually is (thicker cable, nice metal XLR housing vs. plastic). It's nice to have cables that you actually can fix by taking them apart and soldering if need be.

If you move cables around a lot (either during a performance or just constant setting up and breaking down) your cables will eventually break and need repair or replacement. Always carry extras!
Old 05-02-2014, 11:48 AM

Methos1979 & lschwart :

thanks for all the information you guys provided. I don't get online too often, so that's why I haven't replied. I'm gonna do some experimenting with settings, with & without the BR-600 in my set-up & weigh up what's good & bad. I'm very happy with my guitar sound direct through the amp, so It'll be the mic (Vocal) sound that I'll be working on mostly.

thanks again,
Dava

I have one question regarding the TC Helicon fx..

Charlie Simpson - Parachutes (Warped Tour - 2013)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WFi5ao2ElQ

is he using a TC Helicon Harmony GTX here? (listen at 1:15 - sounds like more than just the 2 people here to me.. plus it looks like he presses down on a pedal in parts...)

also check out the other songs he played here. There seems to be lots of usage of this effect. also some guitar looping parts, etc..

is this the TC helicon Harmony GTX, or somethig else?

thanks.

Last edited by DavaDog2000; 05-02-2014 at 12:58 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification