The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-26-2023, 07:52 PM

Default Jack White with Acoustisonic Telecaster

Noticed Jack White was playing a custom Fender Acoustisonic Telecaster on his Saturday Night Live appearance last night. It sounded good from what I could tell.
Old 02-26-2023, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Agree. But JW is an enigma to me. Some of his work I really dont care for….but then he hits a grand slam with his next release. He truly defies any genre or “rules” if there are any. And then he teams up with Loretta Lynn!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-26-2023, 10:36 PM

Yes, enigma.

His American Epic series on PBS was simply brilliant.
Old 02-27-2023, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Agree. But JW is an enigma to me. Some of his work I really dont care for….but then he hits a grand slam with his next release. He truly defies any genre or “rules” if there are any. And then he teams up with Loretta Lynn!
Boy, Dave, that sums it up for me too. ‘Enigma’ is spot on.
Old 02-27-2023, 06:24 AM

Acquired taste I guess, My wife asked me what genre he was and all I could come up with was Punk rock, So I google it.. one was country ?? LOL of course alt rock, rock, and several others
I guess I never got him but that's fine, lots of others do
Old 02-27-2023, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Acquired taste I guess, My wife asked me what genre he was and all I could come up with was Punk rock, So I google it.. one was country ?? LOL of course alt rock, rock, and several others
I guess I never got him but that's fine, lots of others do
He's across the board, I just call him an indie rocker!
Old 02-27-2023, 10:25 PM

If in Nashville you can stop in at Jack White's Third Man records and cut a 45 in his record booth. There just aren't a whole lot of these left in the world!
I'd check ahead of time to see if it's available!

Old 02-28-2023, 04:44 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
If in Nashville you can stop in at Jack White's Third Man records and cut a 45 in his record booth. There just aren't a whole lot of these left in the world!
I'd check ahead of time to see if it's available!

Neil Young did a whole album in one of those that he had refurbished.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-28-2023, 11:11 AM

In the immortal words of Brad Pitt, "Jack White is something special."

To those locked into the "he's a punk/indie/rocker" niche, give a listen to his acoustic stuff (Blunderbuss, Jack White Acoustic Recordings 1998-2016). Old blues? check. Country (including duets)? check. Leader of full bands? check. Power-duo (try keeping up that energy level for 90 minutes)? check. Sing? Write? Compose? Play? Multi-instrumental? Orchestrate/arrange? Tour? check, check, check, check, check, check and check. And he can do it all, almost, on your grandpappy's gear while wearing a fedora (though check out his humbucker abuse through a fuzz in Ball and a Biscuit - modern is good, too).

His following is worldwide, and without constricting boundary. He's a very talented guy.
Old 02-28-2023, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

I noticed that guitar on the second song. And a cool Telecaster on the first one. And while it was nice to actually see a band that plays instruments on SNL, Jack White is just one of those guys that I can't warm to his style. It's like eating caviar - people say it's supposed to be great because it's so expensive but then you try it and it tastes awful. Something for everyone, I guess.
Old 02-28-2023, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I noticed that guitar on the second song. And a cool Telecaster on the first one. And while it was nice to actually see a band that plays instruments on SNL, Jack White is just one of those guys that I can't warm to his style. It's like eating caviar - people say it's supposed to be great because it's so expensive but then you try it and it tastes awful. Something for everyone, I guess.
I hear ya. I'm the same way about black truffles. All I taste is mold!
Old 02-28-2023, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
In the immortal words of Brad Pitt, "Jack White is something special."

To those locked into the "he's a punk/indie/rocker" niche, give a listen to his acoustic stuff (Blunderbuss, Jack White Acoustic Recordings 1998-2016). Old blues? check. Country (including duets)? check. Leader of full bands? check. Power-duo (try keeping up that energy level for 90 minutes)? check. Sing? Write? Compose? Play? Multi-instrumental? Orchestrate/arrange? Tour? check, check, check, check, check, check and check. And he can do it all, almost, on your grandpappy's gear while wearing a fedora (though check out his humbucker abuse through a fuzz in Ball and a Biscuit - modern is good, too).

His following is worldwide, and without constricting boundary. He's a very talented guy.
Although his voice sometimes wears on me, I agree on all points here. The guys got talent in spades.
Old 02-28-2023, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Although his voice sometimes wears on me, I agree on all points here. The guys got talent in spades.
I will not argue in favor of his voice (for some of his stuff, it's perfect, though)! (But I did forget to mention his production of others' work in his own studio, and physical manufacture of vinyl records on/off his own label that contains multiple artists.)

He says he was born "in the wrong time," but I'm obviously happy he's around during mine.
Old 03-01-2023, 09:01 PM

I agree that he is uber talented. I especially appreciate that he's into supporting older artists, their music, and the ways in which that music was recorded, but that SNL appearance was a hard listen.
Old 03-01-2023, 09:27 PM

Saw him live a few years ago. He puts on a great show, too.
Fender EJ Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars