The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-03-2014, 02:12 PM

Default Pick Up on Double bass

Trying again as i had this on a different thread but no one answered unfortunately , so fingers crossed this time.
Just purchased a double bass with a pick up but was told that the pick up needs to be re wired so I was wondering if anyone can advise me. It may be a K&k but theres no markings on it. I tested the pick- up in an amp with a different lead and it works fine.

So here you can see the where the battery starts and goes into an odd looking junction that is wrapped in some sticky copper wrap ( for shielding effect maybe?? )

from this comes two wires , one goes to the pick up at the bridge and the other goes to where the jack input should be .

the odd thing about the lead going to the jack input is it has many cores , 7 plus a shield, and i have no idea what any of them are .

I have not attempted to open the copper join as I'm not sure what i might find in side

Here you can see the wire where the socket should be connected

Just a wider view the top

From this socket i conect the actuall pick up onto the bridge.

So is wiring up one of these difficult or could i take out what is already here and start again as this junction looks kinda messy .

I have a basic soldering skills and could do a better job if there is no magic or trickery going on inside that copper joint .

thanks for reading

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification