The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-29-2014, 07:35 PM

Default Amp, Monitor Question

I play guitar in my church's praise band. Until recently, I sat close to the amp and had no need for a monitor. Since myself and the keyboard player now sit further away (as well as the fact that I am much closer to him and the other players) I really need a small monitor in our little corner of the sanctuary.

I play through a Fender Frontman 212R. I also have a small Orange amp. My question (and maybe it's a dumb one) is this: can I use the Orange as a powered monitor by connecting it to the Fender via the Fender's Pre-out jack?
Old 04-29-2014, 09:37 PM

Probably not. Plugging in to the pre out may have the amp looking for a return signal on the power amp in jack - might end up with no sound. Second, the signal will already be boosted so your Orange will see a really hot input signal. Maybe an A/B/Y box would be the way to go? Split the guitar signal to each amp.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 04-30-2014, 09:33 AM

I use a Roland CM-30 monitor. It is small, light weight and sells for under $200 new.
Yamaha FSX800C
Bose L1c
Schertler Jam 100
Gretsch G2655
Gretsch G5655T
Old 04-30-2014, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernerdawg View Post
I play guitar in my church's praise band. Until recently, I sat close to the amp and had no need for a monitor. Since myself and the keyboard player now sit further away (as well as the fact that I am much closer to him and the other players) I really need a small monitor in our little corner of the sanctuary.

I play through a Fender Frontman 212R. I also have a small Orange amp. My question (and maybe it's a dumb one) is this: can I use the Orange as a powered monitor by connecting it to the Fender via the Fender's Pre-out jack?
Hi bd…

If you mean stage monitor for anything/everything on stage, there are many solutions. Everything from a simple powered 10" two way cabinet which requires a feed from the board (likely via the PA snake), to things which are specifically named as monitors and a bit more flexible.

If you mean to hear your electric better…if you cannot hear the 212R on stage, is it because it's turned down very low, or because the stage volume is that loud? Drop a simple 2-4 channel mixer on the floor next to the guitar. Take one ¼" output to each amp. That way, each is controllable independently.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-30-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulin View Post
I use a Roland CM-30 monitor. It is small, light weight and sells for under $200 new.
I've a pair of these and have used them as little monitors for the folk scene work I do - as well as for home. I like them.

That Frontman 212 is good for electric guitar - not an acoustic with a pickup. What are you playing?
Old 04-30-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goz211 View Post
That Frontman 212 is good for electric guitar - not an acoustic with a pickup. What are you playing?
Is the Frontman ideal for acoustics? No. But it's versatile and sounds absolutely terrific with the Taylor 416-Fall Ltd I use. To say it's not good for an acoustic is pure assumption.

Let me elaborate on the set up: I don't plug into the house PA (except during certain solo or guitar + vocal) performances and I don't play on a stage. We sit in the wings, in a roomy corner about 20 ft away from the amp and away from its sound path. Between me and the amp is a grand piano and next to me is the keyboard player; next to him is his amp. I play various instruments depending on the song - bass, guitar, mandolin - we just don't have the personnel for a full band.

I'm thinking of simply splitting the guitar signal using the ABY box, with one cable going to the Fender and the other going to either a very small amp (like a Micro Crush) or a small powered monitor.

I appreciate the responses. They are most helpful.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernerdawg View Post
Is the Frontman ideal for acoustics? ...To say it's not good for an acoustic is pure assumption.
It was (I hoped) a helpful generalisation rather than an assumption. It has speakers "voiced" to bring out frequencies that we've come to find pleasing in electric guitar.

Glad it works for you. Anyone in your circle of musician friends have a pedal with two outs like a stereo chorus pedal? Something like that or a little Alesis Picoverb would do the job too - it has two outs.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar0...ispicoverb.asp

Last edited by goz211; 05-01-2014 at 04:52 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
Probably not. Plugging in to the pre out may have the amp looking for a return signal on the power amp in jack - might end up with no sound. Second, the signal will already be boosted so your Orange will see a really hot input signal. Maybe an A/B/Y box would be the way to go? Split the guitar signal to each amp.
Just to clarify. The preamp out will work since its the preamp signal out. The purpose of the power amp in is to daisy chain amps together. Another words, on the same amps, you can feed the"preamp out" to the "power amp in" multiple times using one amp to control all amps. The preamp out will work by itself.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification