The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-03-2018, 05:04 PM

I have only compared Elixir 80/20 Nanos to D'Addario Phosphor Bronze coated - apples and oranges.

I give an uneducated vote for the Elixirs. I have no complaint. I'm playing 2.5 hours a day, and I change strings every three weeks. Even though they're coated, and they're supposed to last for months, I just love the sparkle of new strings.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

I've never had a set of Elixers go bad. I simply have removed them because I don't like how they sound.

Long lasting bad tone.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
I've never had a set of Elixers go bad. I simply have removed them because I don't like how they sound.

Long lasting bad tone.
They're among the most expensive strings, yet more brand new, pricy guitars are strung with Elixirs than probably any other brand.
I think my guitar sounds fantastic with Elixir 80/20 Nanobronze.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:35 AM

D'Addario strings are manufactured in America with American metals https://youtu.be/4_MVOZnhLVc

Elixir strings are manufactured in Hong Kong China from metals made in Argentina, Italy, Spain, and China. The strings are coated with plastic in America then returned to China for packaging and distribution, with a label that now says Made in USA, but formerly also said packaged in China. Elixir also buys bulk string from other manufacturers (like D'Addario) and coats them with plastic which allegedly protects
"the critical area between the windings where the "critical zone of tone" is found and each perfect note is born."
Elixir strings have a plastic coated tone that suits certain playing styles and players.

Last edited by Song; 07-08-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
D'Addario strings are manufactured in America with American metals https://youtu.be/4_MVOZnhLVc

Elixir strings are manufactured in Hong Kong China from metals made in Argentina, Italy, Spain, and China. The strings are coated with plastic in America then returned to China for packaging and distribution, with a label that now says Made in USA, but formerly also said packaged in China. Elixir also buys bulk string from other manufacturers (like D'Addario) and coats them with plastic which allegedly protects
"the critical area between the windings where the "critical zone of tone" is found and each perfect note is born."
Elixir strings have a plastic coated tone that suits certain playing styles and players.
Interesting. Can you provide a link to above information?

Old 08-04-2018, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakybird View Post
They're among the most expensive strings, yet more brand new, pricy guitars are strung with Elixirs than probably any other brand.
I think my guitar sounds fantastic with Elixir 80/20 Nanobronze.
Sure, probably true. Because they stand up under guitar store conditions and don't need to be swapped out. Saves time and labor. Doesn't affect tone as much on more heavily-braced, bright guitars.

My local shop carries Collings, Martin, Lowden, Taylor, Santa Cruz, Bourgeois, and a few single luthier brands. Not an Elixers to be found, except maybe on the Taylors, but I haven't picked one up in a good while.

Clearly they work for a lot of people. Not a fan myself. They choke tone to my ear.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

I was a confirmed lover of Elixir strings. I loved the sound and longevity. They I started using the D'Addarios after they came on a new Emerald custom I'd ordered. The difference between those are that that Elixirs are very slippery while the D'Addarios are very 'grabby'. I came to like the grabbiness of the D'Addarios. Now I'm using John Pearse 710 New Mediums. They are not coated and definitely do not last as long as the Elixir's or the D'Addarios but they are also less than half the price. I love the tone as well as the New Medium size. The 'grabbiness' is very nicely between the Elixir's and the D'Addarios, much like Goldilocks and porridge, they are just right!
Old 08-04-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Sure, probably true. Because they stand up under guitar store conditions and don't need to be swapped out. Saves time and labor. Doesn't affect tone as much on more heavily-braced, bright guitars.

My local shop carries Collings, Martin, Lowden, Taylor, Santa Cruz, Bourgeois, and a few single luthier brands. Not an Elixers to be found, except maybe on the Taylors, but I haven't picked one up in a good while.

Clearly they work for a lot of people. Not a fan myself. They choke tone to my ear.
Good points.

Here's a link to guitar makers that use Elixirs on at least some of their guitars. I know that Yamaha uses them with many of their guitars
https://www.elixirstrings.com/guitar-makers

Old 08-04-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakybird View Post
Interesting. Can you provide a link to above information?
https://www.gore.co.uk/en-gb/affiliates
Old 08-04-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
If you think about it, this really shouldn't be an Elixir vs D'Addario thread. It should be a "finding the right strings for specific guitars" thread. There is no substitute for string testing.

If for no other reason, I believe that one reason to test strings is to learn to really listen deeply to your guitar's sound. When we compare different string sets we often will begin to listen for the particulars of the sound when comparing that otherwise are blissfully ignored.

So why stop with Elixir vs D'Addario? There are so many flavors of strings to choose from. And who knows? Without expectation one day you might put a set of strings on and have that OMG moment as your guitar magically transforms, giving you a sound that just knocks you out.
But the discussion is about coated strings which narrow the field.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:44 PM

Default Coated strings

I wear fingerpicks when I play. I wear the coating off the Elixirs in an hour. Especially the G-string.
D'Adderio Exp's on both my Dred and OM. To me the EXP's sound identical to regular D'Adderio's except they last a bit longer.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:24 PM

I used to use exp daddario and changed to Elixirs. I really like the Elixirs better and last much longer. Tried the Martin lifespan, they went dead in a month. Funny when I put the Lifespans on the intonation was off. Next set I am going to try will be the Dean Markley Blackhawks. If they dont work out ,,it will be back to Exilirs
Old 08-05-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
The URL does not appear to substantiate your assertions.

Anyway, it's good to experiment until you find what you love. I'm easy to please, fortunately. I love the sound of new strings. With some brands, the honeymoon lasts longer than others.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:21 PM

Smile

Yes, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by semolinapilcher View Post
I dont think my ears could discern between them in a blind test.

Elixirs are fine strings!! But as a player I do prefer the feel of the EXPs, and the EXPs just seem to wear more naturally. Also I've used them long enough now that the colored ball ends (wound in pairs) are a key part of my string change process. Any other brand slows me down a lot.

It's like Elixirs are coated strings and EXPs are strings that are coated, LOL.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:10 PM

I have never liked the sound of brand new uncoated strings, but played in for a bit the sound is great for awhile... then it goes way downhill quick. The Elixir nanowebs never hit the height of those slightly played in regular strings, but man, I can play them a long time without changing strings.

I like the slightly slippery feel when going up the neck. Now, I'm trying Elixirs on my electric guitar, and with those my fingers slip regularly when executing bends. Don't like that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
d'addario vs. elixir