The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-07-2024, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Default Bose L1 Pro8 vs EV Evolve 30m

I'm starting to have situations where I need more inputs than my L1 Pro8 will give me and I don't really want to start lugging around a mixer any bigger that the EAE Gigmix I'm currently using. I'm heavily considering swapping the Bose for a EV Evolve 30m so I can have more channels and a MASTER VOLUME. My Pro8 provides more than enough volume for the venues I play, does the EV put out about the same amount of volume? I really don't want to get anything any quieter than my Pro8, but I don't care if it isn't any louder.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 03-07-2024, 05:47 PM

I had the Bose Pro 8 for a while and then bought the 30m about a year ago..
never looked back. Sold the Bose after careful A|B testing.

Love the EV and the sound is really great. The mixer robust and effects works well.
Excellent EQ.

I’m sure you’ll be pleased with volume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
I'm starting to have situations where I need more inputs than my L1 Pro8 will give me and I don't really want to start lugging around a mixer any bigger that the EAE Gigmix I'm currently using. I'm heavily considering swapping the Bose for a EV Evolve 30m so I can have more channels and a MASTER VOLUME. My Pro8 provides more than enough volume for the venues I play, does the EV put out about the same amount of volume? I really don't want to get anything any quieter than my Pro8, but I don't care if it isn't any louder.
Old 03-08-2024, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
I had the Bose Pro 8 for a while and then bought the 30m about a year ago..
never looked back. Sold the Bose after careful A|B testing.

Love the EV and the sound is really great. The mixer robust and effects works well.
Excellent EQ.

I’m sure you’ll be pleased with volume.
Thanks Jack! So I won't be losing any volume with the 30m?
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 03-08-2024, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

I did A/B testing (in a store) between the Pro8 and the EV30M and found the volume to be louder on the 30M. The Bose did sound great with their warm colored tone while the 30M sounded more clean, clear and articulate. Maybe that's why it sounded louder to me as it cuts through better. I have yet to play any venue - inside or out - where our 30M could not handle it. In fact, we've come nowhere near to needing the available volume it has. But I would love to have that warm tone and better dispersion at lower volumes that Bose is famous for if they could just design a system with more inputs. But then they wouldn't be able to upsell people their T-X mixers for huge money!!
Old 03-08-2024, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I did A/B testing (in a store) between the Pro8 and the EV30M and found the volume to be louder on the 30M. The Bose did sound great with their warm colored tone while the 30M sounded more clean, clear and articulate. Maybe that's why it sounded louder to me as it cuts through better. I have yet to play any venue - inside or out - where our 30M could not handle it. In fact, we've come nowhere near to needing the available volume it has. But I would love to have that warm tone and better dispersion at lower volumes that Bose is famous for if they could just design a system with more inputs. But then they wouldn't be able to upsell people their T-X mixers for huge money!!
The older I get the less equipment I want to lug around. I want to just be able to skip the mixer altogether and go directly into my system like I do with my Loudbox Artist. I do love that clean Bose sound, but no master volume and the need for a separate mixer is about to make me jump ship. My main holdback right now is parting with the $$$.
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 03-08-2024, 10:33 AM

The EV 30/50M weren’t allowed to angle their even and odd drivers outward like the Bose towers do because Bose patented that. Strange that you can patent such an obvious thing…but they did. Because of this, the EV uses waveguides to spread the sound horizontally.

That is why Bose coverage is a little better. In practice, the coverage to the sides is good, but you it does lower some of the sibilant frequencies noticeably.

Personally, I don’t mind this and think that the trade off is well worth the built in mixer and sturdier design.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification