The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-27-2017, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog Pirate View Post
Hello,
Feels great to be a new addition to this community. I am a freestyle acoustic guitar player mostly into fingerpicking and percussive stuff. I am looking to buy a new acoustic guitar for myself under $800 . Please suggest me some good guitars. Currently i have shortlisted some -
Breedlove pursuit concert mh
seagull s6
etc
tonewood - both mahogany and rosewood will do
type - both acoustic/ electric and pure acoustic will do
-cutaway, dreadnought , concert size
A few others have mentioned Yamaha. If you need the cutaway, the L-series don't have it in your price range. However, the A3M and the AC3M do. The rosewood models are $899. Anyway, they may be worth a look. The necks are quite nice. I have the first generation AC3R and the newer A5R, so if you have questions about the electronics in the first or second generation A3, I can help.

Good luck.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthemiller View Post
Yamaha do plenty of inexpensive guitars.
Thanks will check out some
Old 07-27-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
Hi Pirate!! Welcome to our little AGF -----

There are a zillion guitars in your price range to choose from, so there will be no end to great suggestions in this thread. I'll throw in Epiphone - I currently use one, a $399 EJ-200 (I play it in the "Garage" videos in my sig below ↓↓↓↓↓↓)

Do you have a GC or SamAsh in your area? It might be an idea to go for an afternoon and try try try and see which guitar wins your heart.
Thanks a lot for the suggestion . I live in India so might have to import from usa . I will definitely check it out though .
Old 07-27-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasper View Post
Hi Prog Pirate,

I see you list your location as Delhi India. I think it would help us out if you could link to some local online shops in your area in order to see what is available, in your price range, in your area of the world. I know that some pricing differences can be found across the globe and something in your budget that could be found in America, might be more expensive or not even available where you are located.

Also helps to give the budget in your local currency. Using my converter app, it shows 800 USD converts to approximately 51,514 INR. Is that correct?

Anyway, I did a quick search and looks like you can get an Epiphone masterbilt all solid dread with cutaway in your budget.

http://www.furtadosonline.com/produc...h--208580.html

That guitar above would cost about $650 USD over here, but looks like it runs $736 over there.. showing some guitar pricing is different between our countries. That makes it harder to recommend the best buy for you in your country. So, give us some links to the popular musical instrument dealers in your country and you will get better replies.
Thanks a lot for the suggestion . I already checked that out . There are no good online portals or guitar stores in India. They all have limited no. Of brands and models plus importing one will be a lot costly .. so I would probably travel to usa to buy one or tell my cousins there to bring one for me . That's the only option for now .
Old 07-27-2017, 12:29 PM

Thank you all of you for the suggestions. I believe that would make me choose a better guitar .
Old 07-27-2017, 01:04 PM

I really like Seagulls.

Eastmans are often considered one of the prime guitars at that price point.

I have a more expensive Breedlove and if I were buying in that price range I'd definitely be checking out what they have in that range. I don't have much direct experience with the Discovery line of Breedloves, though.

Can you maybe find a Larrivee L03 or L03-R for $800? Maybe right at the cusp, I suspect they're a hair over. I'd explore the possibility.

Yamaha is a very popular workhorse in that range.

I would avoid Taylor and Martin offerings. I feel like you're paying extra for the headstock logo, and the sweet spot for those two guitars is quite a bit more expensive.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proclaimer888 View Post
Might I recommend a Larrivee L-03. Good all around guitar, can do most any style of playing.....Nice used one should come under budget.
+1 they come up for sale every now and then.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog Pirate View Post
Thanks a lot for the suggestion . I already checked that out . There are no good online portals or guitar stores in India. They all have limited no. Of brands and models plus importing one will be a lot costly .. so I would probably travel to usa to buy one or tell my cousins there to bring one for me . That's the only option for now .
I didn't read that before. I'm surprised that your choices are limited given that rosewood comes from your country so there are no duty fees. I imagine spruce would be hard to come by though.

I know of a few people who've traveled to Vietnam and gotten some pretty elaborate builds done by independent luthiers there. IIRC the prices were around your range.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:09 AM

hi , ya i talked a few luthiers in my country.yes i am getting a rosewood back and sides with a spruce top and mahogany within 900 $ but the thing is they will only deliver it in jan 2018 . i need a guitar before this year ends. Thats why i am looking to order it from usa.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:54 AM

A used Taylor 314ce.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirassic View Post
Eastman!
I once tried their E10P and E20P and I was floored with the incredible price/quality ratio.
If you find one used, you get a great bargain.

DITTO, bought a used E20 OM for about that price and it is remarkable.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
#acoustic, #fingerstyle, #percussiveguitar