The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-11-2024, 05:13 PM

These came to mind as I read your post.

https://www.bing.com/shop/productpag...76&FORM=SSAPC1
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 04-11-2024, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
These came to mind as I read your post.

https://www.bing.com/shop/productpag...76&FORM=SSAPC1
Thanks. That is a dreadnaught and wouldn't be a good size for my 12 year old son
Old 04-11-2024, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian 710CE View Post
Thanks. That is a dreadnaught and wouldn't be a good size for my 12 year old son
Seagull does make a concert sized 12 string:

Old 04-12-2024, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
I just looked at Sweetwater and the 8 string is still on sale. The Baritone is the higher price 8 string there.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ar-shadowburst
Link goes to the 8ceshB (the baritone model), not the "regular" 8 string (it says so right there in the link).
Old 04-12-2024, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post
Link goes to the 8ceshB (the baritone model), not the "regular" 8 string (it says so right there in the link).
No, the SHB stands for Shadow Burst. Same as a AF60SHB (definitely not a baritone). Though to be fair, they are inconsistent. Sometimes they use SB for shadow burst, and on ones with cutaways they often leave it off and just end it with CE.

This is the link that was posted: ($399 from $599)

This is the baritone link: ($699)

The second link has baritone in the link, not a b.
Old 04-12-2024, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67goat View Post
No, the SHB stands for Shadow Burst. Same as a AF60SHB (definitely not a baritone). Though to be fair, they are inconsistent. Sometimes they use SB for shadow burst, and on ones with cutaways they often leave it off and just end it with CE.

This is the link that was posted: ($399 from $599)

This is the baritone link: ($699)

The second link has baritone in the link, not a b.
Nice catch! Thanks!
Old 04-12-2024, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post
Nice catch! Thanks!
Manufacturers really should develop naming convention consistency when the model names are just a bunch of letters and numbers.
Old 04-13-2024, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian 710CE View Post
Thanks, everyone for the replies and advice. To answer a few questions:

1. He is not a prodigy, but he is practicing quite a bit, and getting pretty good, especially for a 12 year old who has only played 7 or 8 months.

2. He isn't hurting for nice guitars to play. He has a 7/8 scale electric, and a very nice Yamaha FS800 acoustic that are his guitars. He also has access to mine, including multiple nice all solid instruments.

Regarding the 12 string, I look at it as more of a "novelty" instrument as opposed to an everyday primary instrument. If I was dropping $2k, I would probably put that towards a nice acoustic 6 string that he would get more use from. I am looking for that sweet spot of playability and quality, but also realizing this won't likely be a primary instrument.

Ones I have seen that look good are:

Alvarez AG610ce 12 looks really nice for the money, but hard to find
Breedlove Atlas
Breedlove Discovery

?

Once more over 12 string falls.

> "Regarding the 12 string, I look at it as more of a "novelty" instrument as opposed to an everyday primary instrument. "

For many people it can be a novelty or just a medium for a part of their act. However, I play all my 6 string repertoire on a 12 string guitar too. Once you try that, you will be surprised at how good some of the songs sound. A solo 12 string can sound like 2 or more instruments as backing and/or fronting, and you won't miss the rest of the band. I do not limit myself to just known or 'traditional' 12 string songs. I also keep one in open DADGAD intervals for some variety. Such 'Keltic' tuning can take advantage of lots of drone sounds with the instrumental accompaniment.

For example, I find all Creedence and John Fogerty songs sound great on a 12 string, even better than on a six string, and it is my preferred accompaniment for them. I also go on 12 string binges sometimes, when I mostly just play 12 string guitars for weeks or even months as a primary instrument.

Been playing 12 strings since the 60s, and just love the sound they produce. For me it is not a 'novelty' instrument, but part of my music life. I even have a 5 string ukulele (tuned gG, C, E A) which has an octave 'gG' top string course to provide both the re-entrant sound of a traditionally strung high 'g' plus the low 'G' for a more complete sound.

I fingerpick all my instruments using my nails as picks.
And I tune all my 12 strings down a semi-tone to 'D#'.

Be well and play well,

(_o)===###

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 04-26-2024 at 09:45 AM. Reason: proof-reading
Old 04-26-2024, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slooky View Post
Hi Brian" I just purchased an Ibanez 12 string AEG 5012. Its slim and more like a Grand Auditorium body. I ended up trading Yamaha fg 820-12 string dreadnaught for it. Its much better comfort to me than the Yamaha. Action is quite good. Nut width is not as wide. Under 400 $ too. I'm surprised how well this guitar is built. Just might be perfect for your son.
I was looking at economical 12 strings for my studio and was looking at this very model. My lovely wife must have been looking over my shoulder and bought it for me for Christmas. Its still honeymoon phase in a lot of ways as I am new to 12 strings and the guitar at this point. Overall I am liking it. The action is a bit higher than a 6 and the scale length shorter so that's all a bit of an adjustment. If was primarily an acoustic player I would probably had my eye on something a little higher end. For the purposes of being a studio tool/voice its more than capable.
Old 04-26-2024, 11:50 AM

Brian, did you get the Alvarez 8 string?
If so, please report your thoughts about it.
Old 04-26-2024, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiowonderland View Post
I was looking at economical 12 strings for my studio and was looking at this very model. My lovely wife must have been looking over my shoulder and bought it for me for Christmas. Its still honeymoon phase in a lot of ways as I am new to 12 strings and the guitar at this point. Overall I am liking it. The action is a bit higher than a 6 and the scale length shorter so that's all a bit of an adjustment. If was primarily an acoustic player I would probably had my eye on something a little higher end. For the purposes of being a studio tool/voice its more than capable.
Thats great! I'm still loving mine. The best part is it has a 48mm nut width. Hard to find a 45mm nut width 12 string. Mine has very low action. Maybe it needs a setup. Its fantastic value for a 12 string.

Last edited by slooky; 04-26-2024 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-30-2024, 04:53 PM

Still waiting to see if Brian got the new guitar?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion