The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-05-2024, 03:57 PM

Default Fishman Rare Earth Humbucker issue?

I have one of these mounted in the soundhole of my Taylor GA3 12 string. The bottom E strings are significantly quieter than the other 10 string….measurably so to my ears.

The action on the guitar is low and the distance from strings to pick-up are about the same across all strings.

Questions:
  • Normal or a problem?
  • How high can I/should I shim the bass side to get the E sting set equalized?
  • If I do shim the bass side do I then risk over amplifying the A and D pairs which are currently balanced?
For the record I’ve run this guitar thru my Bose pole, my Fishman Mini and thru a mixer. Same issue.

Strings are coated D’Addario PB lights.
Old 05-08-2024, 05:41 PM

Going to bump this up….surprised I haven’t gotten a response from this highly qualified (and often opinionated) membership!
Old 05-08-2024, 06:41 PM

Just a guess here - but is it possible that the low-volume E pair is just outside the magnetic zone (wider string spread than typical 6-strings are )? If so, rather than shim the pickup up on that end, try rotating it counter-clockwise in the sound hole a little bit so the magnetic zone shifts slightly toward the bass side.

Unfortunately, this simultaneously narrows the usable width of the pickup, so I'd experiment a bit and go slowly.

Let me know if that helps at all - I'm curious.

- Douglas C.

1998 Larrivée C-09
1977 Gibson MK-35
2020 Breedlove Wildwood Concertina
2003 Guild JF30-12
Kremona Verea VA Crossover Nylon
2005 Rogue Biscuit Resonator
1960's Harmony Patrician Archtop
2008 Eastman AR810-7 Archtop
Old 05-08-2024, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

I had a fishman rare earth blend with mic and humbucker in my Taylor GA3-12 and did not have that problem at all - I had remarkably even output on all strings.

That doesnt help with your problem but its one more data point when considering your situation

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 05-09-2024, 02:52 AM

This is unfortunately a side effect of the lack of adjustable polepieces on the Rare Earth pickups. They are very guitar specific in terms of string balance-I’ve had a RE which sounded perfect in one guitar (1990 Hummingbird) and totally unbalanced in another (2012 Recording King RP06).

They work best in guitars with a relatively steep neck angle so the strings don’t sit too close to the pickup-that gives the pickup a more airy, acoustic tone and also helps balance out hot strings that are caught in the pull of the pickup’s magnetic field. Whilst a Rare Earth is not quite the ferrite brick that the likes of my beloved Sunrises are, the Neodymium magnet still has a fair old tug, especially on the plain strings.

If your issues persist and you don’t have any joy shimming/rotating the pickup as has been suggested by other posters, I’d suggest looking at changing the pickup for something with adjustable polepieces. The Baggs M1A is a similar pickup to the RE but will enable you to tune the string balance to as close to perfection as you can get.
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification