The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-06-2017, 02:26 PM

Default BBE Acoustimax vs TC Body Rez

Has anyone tried both of these and if so, how do they primarily differ? Could they work together at all?

I currently have the Acoustimax and it's a great DI and the Sonic Maximizer feature definitely makes your sound subtly more clear and clean. However, it doesn't add "body" and "resonance" like the TC and I'm sure that both pedals employ some level of compression, which makes me worry that using them in tandem might squish your sound too much.

Thoughts?
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 04-06-2017, 04:40 PM

Default BBE Acoustimax vs TC Body Rez

Your suspicion is probably right. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-06-2017, 08:22 PM

BBE's Sonic Maximizer is basically just a bass boost and treble boost, essentially a mid cut. It is also supposed to do some phase correction as well, basically aligning your low and high frequencies.

The Body Rez is a lot more sophisticated than that.

You could use the Acoustimax and the Body Rez together but I don't think I'd use the Body Rez with the Sonic Maximizer feature on.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwl View Post
BBE's Sonic Maximizer is basically just a bass boost and treble boost, essentially a mid cut. It is also supposed to do some phase correction as well, basically aligning your low and high frequencies.

The Body Rez is a lot more sophisticated than that.

You could use the Acoustimax and the Body Rez together but I don't think I'd use the Body Rez with the Sonic Maximizer feature on.
My experience is that the Sonic Maximizer (and this sounds like a semantic argument...) doesn't cut the mids so much as correct the phase on the highs & lows and offers control on how much you enhance them. The sound gets clearer, but I don't think it's due so much to EQ/mid-cut. I find, personally, that to dial-up the high-correction tends to make the sound too thin so I usually keep the highs at noon and the lows around 11 on the Maximizer. That makes the sound a little bit (very subtly) clearer without making it sound thin.

The Body Rez seems to run the signal through some compression, EQ filtering, and possibly some reverb to soften an UST and add some ambiance to it. I rather like the Acoustimax, but I also have a Baggs PADI I could use in its place and simply use the Body Rez. The Acoustimax is a more user friendly DI than the PADI, which has microscopic controls, but I wouldn't try to use two types of signal processing and compression.

Does anyone have a preference between the two?
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification