The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-08-2022, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post

Also, since you mentioned gigging (and I'm making an assumption you mean amplified which you don't say), the LR Baggs Anthem StagePro pickup system in the RainSong Vintage models is excellent for live amplified play. I played my Nashville today for the first time in a long time and I'd forgotten just how great they amplify. The downside is they don't give them away. But you'll pay nearly as much or more for a comparable Emerald or McPherson.
Hey Scott,
How prone is the Anthem StagePro to feedback? I have an Element StagePro in a Rainsong CHOM that I suspect needs replacing, and am wondering whether I should go for the Anthem…(apologies from the thread hijack).
Old 12-08-2022, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I'd go with a Rainsong V-DR1100N2...
This was my first thought, too. Or maybe a used H-DR, which is a discontinued model. I like the warmth of the H series more than any other in the line. The V series is absolutely worth a real good look, though, especially because it looks the part more than any other.

Edit: I didn’t love my Sable…I felt it was mich quieter than others, in spite of it being incredibly balanced. The X30 might be ok, though the low E string is tough to tame.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 12-08-2022, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

People have mentioned the vintage series dreadnought and the hybrid dreadnought from Rainsong but there is also the all graphite DR1000 a/e. I happen to have one for sale in the classifieds;just throwing it out there. Even if I didn't have a horse in the game though, I'd still recommend trying out that guitar as well as the others that have been mentioned here so far.
Old 12-09-2022, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeway View Post
Hey Scott,
How prone is the Anthem StagePro to feedback? I have an Element StagePro in a Rainsong CHOM that I suspect needs replacing, and am wondering whether I should go for the Anthem…(apologies from the thread hijack).
I have had zero feedback issues with the Anthem StagePro but then again with the EV30M I don't need to to play super loud and our shows/venues/material also do not require us to play very loud either, so there's that. I do vaguely recall maybe once or twice hitting a 'hot' string (almost always the A, for some reason) that was immediately and easily tamed with the onboard Notch knob which is literally right at your fingertips. This is easily one of the very best things I like about the StagePro system, the ability to dial out any problem frequency on the fly. For this gigging guitarist, this is huge.

As for any feedback issues with the Anthem (vs the Element) due to the mic, there is very little issue. The Anthem mic is dialed in via a slider which goes from ostensibly all UST to all mic. I tend to have it dialed a little bit more toward the UST which gives it a brighter sound. I dial-in even more UST on the delicate fingerstyle ballads which need that brighter sound. The only time I favor a little more mic than UST is on any percussive songs that require body taps to be heard through the PA and that happens very little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioman001 View Post
People have mentioned the vintage series dreadnought and the hybrid dreadnought from Rainsong but there is also the all graphite DR1000 a/e. I happen to have one for sale in the classifieds;just throwing it out there. Even if I didn't have a horse in the game though, I'd still recommend trying out that guitar as well as the others that have been mentioned here so far.
I think most people are recommending the vintage series because the OP mentioned the term 'warmth' a few times and the vintage offerings definitely have that over the full carbon models which tend to be very bright with somewhat 'jangly' highs, as some (me included) call it. That said, if you play any fingerstyle pieces at all, having that accentuated high treble tone is a boon if you're playing unamplified. Amplified you can pretty much dial up any tone you want anyway with the StagePro system. That was the main reason I added the Black Ice dread.

Last edited by Methos1979; 12-09-2022 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-09-2022, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

I have a 1950 Martin 00-18. It’s the best sounding and most responsive guitar I’ve ever played, with incredible head room. My RainSong Concert Hybrid Orchestra Model 12 Fret has a similar tone and clarity, low action, responds like the Martin to the lightest touch, and can be played equally as hard. I love the 1 3/4” nut width, 12, and it’s very comfortable to play. While the X20 in my signature has great ergonomics, it’s heavier, has less headroom, and I prefer the sound of my RainSong.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 12-10-2022, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I'd go with a Rainsong V-DR1100N2...
Old 12-10-2022, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
This was my first thought, too. Or maybe a used H-DR, which is a discontinued model. I like the warmth of the H series more than any other in the line. The V series is absolutely worth a real good look, though, especially because it looks the part more than any other...
To me the V-DR1100N2 is a great "transitional" guitar for someone who's accustomed to playing Martin dreads but wants a carbon fiber guitar. Not that they sound the same - heck, you can play five D-18s, and they may not sound the same. I think the Vintage Rainsongs add a little something-something, perhaps top thickness, that makes the transition less of a tonal gap...
Old 12-11-2022, 03:54 AM

I completely agree with PLT on this - I've owned pretty much all the major CF guitars, and the closest I've come to the Martin sound (I play a D35) is the earlier Composite Acoustic Legacy. I've owned 3 so far, one went to Uganda with my son on a missions trip... average temp 120 degrees. Came home unscathed! I travel around a little circuit teaching at YMCAs, and in the winter in Central NY it gets cold and really dry. Leaving the CA in the trunk, and not worrying about it - PRICELESS! My best (so far) is a 2007 Legacy AE (the green one), both plugged and unplugged it has a big Martin-esque tone. Strings do have a lot to do with it too. If you can find one don't hesitate... they are the berries! Best of luck on your search.
Takamine EF240s-TT
Guild F250e
Guild DS240 Memoir
Martin Dread Jr
Epiphone 1964 Texan
Godin 5th Avenue
Godin Multiac Encore Nylon
Orangewood Baritone
Schecter C1 E/A
G&L ASAT Tribute Tele
7 - Fender Stratocasters
Fender '60 Jazz Bass
Lightwave 5 String Bass
Ibanez SRF 705 Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber