The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-16-2023, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Default Installing a thin, clear pick guard...

I recently purchased a Rainsong with an off-center sound hole and wanted some protection from my fingers around the spot where a traditional pick guard would go. After some suggestions in the Carbon Fiber subforum, I procured some tracing paper and acrylic to serve as my new pick guard. I'd never been successful with getting the bubbles out from under clear acrylic, but I happened across the Frank Ford method as shown below. It turned out pretty decent if I do say so myself. The soapy water is the secret ingredient. Before (left) and after (right) shots are below...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3631.jpg (50.8 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3652.jpg (40.9 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by RP; 07-17-2023 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-25-2023, 07:24 PM

I have replaced the pick guards on both my Taylor and Martin guitars and replaced them with clear pick guards. (It's a personal bias, I just think that pick guards detract from, rather than enhance the natural "form" and appearance of a guitar) I installed a clear pick guard from Healingshield on both. The installation is similar to installing a thin vinyl screen protector on a cell phone or tablet. They are very robust and almost invisible. They protect the guitar as well as a plastic factory style pick guard. They also can be removed without leaving an adhesive residue.
2020 Taylor AD-17e
2020 Dean BW-6
2021 Gretsch Resonator
2023 Martin D-28
Old 09-23-2023, 03:06 PM

Yeah I was also looking for the thinnest pickguard possible as to not affect the tone. For now no pickguard at all, nitro finish and I want to keep the resonant tone I have

Does this kill the tone at all?
Old 09-23-2023, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablojones View Post
Yeah I was also looking for the thinnest pickguard possible as to not affect the tone. For now no pickguard at all, nitro finish and I want to keep the resonant tone I have

Does this kill the tone at all?
When the question of how to install a clear guard comes up I usually post the Frank Ford video link.

I use the .005" mylar self-stick sheets from Stu-Mac and notice absolutely no change in volume or tone.

Old 09-23-2023, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
When the question of how to install a clear guard comes up I usually post the Frank Ford video link.

I use the .005" mylar self-stick sheets from Stu-Mac and notice absolutely no change in volume or tone.

Wow ok thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair