The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-27-2015, 10:12 AM

NEVER - I always look at the glass half full. I've had slow developing guitars, but ultimately, they've past my expectations and more. Like my Gibson SJ - it took about 3 years to have that thing sounding as sweet as can be. The verdict is still out - did the guitar improve with age ? Or did my technique improve and adapt to the guitar. I'm thinking the latter ,

H
Old 03-27-2015, 10:25 AM

Was enthralled with small guitars at the time and wanted a GS mini. I bought a Luna Muse Safari for $100 thinking it'd be a passable replacement. That guitar sounded like an empty tissue box with rubber bands.

Sold it and bought an Art and Lutherie Ami and never craved another small guitar again. Actually, that's a lie, I bought Takamine Parlor later. But still, that Luna
Martin MMV Dreadnought (because everyone needs a Martin )

Electrics:
Fender Telecaster (the workhorse)
ESP EC-1000 VB (the shredder)
G&L L2000 (its a bass)
Old 03-27-2015, 10:34 AM

Yes, a few. I was lucky enough to be able to send most of them back with only one exception.

I have bought several that have exceeded my expectations too - both my Gretch's and my RK. I guess it kinda equals out - for me anyway.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 03-27-2015, 10:47 AM

ok I have played every seagull (well every acoustic )in a 100 mile radius of where I live...and I like every one (seagull that is)...it is the only acoustic brand I can say that about...only acoustic I would even consider buying with out playing first. just trying to narrow down which one I will buy now.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

It just so happens that the one guitar that I ordered and was disappointed with also happened to be a Gibson. I have played Gibson's that I have really liked so this is not meant as a bashing. Just my experience with this one guitar purchase.

I had played a Gibson L-OO Sonoma model back at a guitar camp in, oh maybe it was 2005 or so, and really liked the guitar a lot. I tried to buy one at the same guitar store in Sonoma County that the owner had gotten hers from but they didn't have any. Turns out they were then only available as a custom build from Gibson's Montana factory. It wasn't going to cost me any more, so I went for it.

First there was some miscommunication with the dealer and they didn't realize that I wanted a sunburst (like the original). Then there was some back and forth on the phone with the factory in Montana over some choices they offered me - scale length, nut width, fret markers, that sort of thing. Once we got that nailed down, it looked like I was going to wait about 6-8 weeks for it which was fine by me.

Guitar took 3 months to be delivered and when I went to the dealer to pick it up, it did not have a sunburst and had a different nut width than what I had decided on. Played it a bit in the store and decided that I could live with those changes and took the guitar home. It stunk for weeks and weeks like the finish hadn't really cured. It buzzed and I had to take it back for tweaking. The tone of it wasn't anything like the other guitar I had played even though it was the same tone woods and bracing pattern. I just never really bonded with it and ended up selling it 6 months later for exactly what I paid for it. It was in mint condition and the new owner was thrilled.

Just one of those things.
Best,
Jayne

Last edited by jaymarsch; 03-27-2015 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 03-27-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Tarts View Post
Was enthralled with small guitars at the time and wanted a GS mini. I bought a Luna Muse Safari for $100 thinking it'd be a passable replacement. That guitar sounded like an empty tissue box with rubber bands.

Sold it and bought an Art and Lutherie Ami and never craved another small guitar again. Actually, that's a lie, I bought Takamine Parlor later. But still, that Luna
To paraphrase an old appliance advertisement, "with Luna, the disappointment goes in, before the name goes on".

Two additional points, it's possible they're one of our sponsors, and you have to spend about forty times that amount, before you're even entitled to any regret whatsoever.

Which is why I haven't complained about any of my guitars.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:14 AM

I bought a Taylor 314ce 2007 Fall Limited once. Financed it. It was my first, and so far last, "nice" guitar. It was nice. I had traded in a Taylor Big Baby to get it. Beautiful woods, beautifully appointed. It was a sight to behold. I bought it on the promise that it would "open up". After five years of waiting and playing this beautiful guitar that didn't hold a candle to the Big Baby that I had traded in...I sold it and never looked back. It was a dud. Plain and simple. No matter what strings I put on it...the guitar was just lifeless.

That being said, I have no problem with Taylor guitars. I played an all hog GA at my local music store the other day that would have made any acoustic enthusiast weep. Such a warm, smooth, sweet sweet sound! Lets just say that it was a good thing that I didn't have $3000.00 in my wallet that day. Man, I would have been in the dog house with the Mrs. lol
Derailer (My go-to travel guitar)
Glibson Super Duper Jumbo Deluxe Extreme (with birds on it)
Martino Cinco De Mayo (First Edition)
Louden Silent Guitar
Lowvation 12 String Salad Bowl
Albatross Merrytime with Red Tide Sunburst

http://portraitsinpencil.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDerrickRyan
Old 03-27-2015, 11:20 AM

Default Have you ever been really disappointed with a guitar you bought?

Have you ever been really disappointed with a guitar you bought?

No.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:36 AM
Guest 33123

"Have you ever been really disappointed with a guitar you bought?"

Why would I buy a guitar I was disappointed with? Those guitars stay at the store, right?
Old 03-27-2015, 11:45 AM

I can't imagine a guitar disappointing me, but I can imagine me disappointing a guitar! The worst guitar is many more times a better guitar than I am a player.
I once saw a video on the Internet of a guy in some really poor country playing a one-string guitar; he was still better sounding than me.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Yep...my one and only Martin Custom Shop order. It was an OM-35 with a Performing Artist neck.

Nothing Martin did wrong. Absolutely beautiful guitar with top notch woods and perfect fit and finish. I just never warmed to the verrrrry mellow tone and insufficient clarity. Sold it after a year of ownership with no regrets.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 03-27-2015, 11:52 AM

Epiphone IB63 Texan.

Sweetwater sent me a repack. It was probably the worst sounding guitar I have ever played. I heard all this hype and went for it. It was just awful sounding.

I played some in guitar stores and they ranged from quite nice to quite bad. This one was the worst. It went back.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 03-27-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
"Have you ever been really disappointed with a guitar you bought?"

Why would I buy a guitar I was disappointed with? Those guitars stay at the store, right?
Right! Save for the fact that stores within your shopping radius would have to stock the guitar you wanted, and have multiple copies of it for you to compare.

For example, if you live in Cleveland, it would be beyond impractical to drive to Australia to audition the largest selection of Cole Clarks.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:58 AM

No. I only regret selling some of them.

and way too many picks...
Old 03-27-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Another Australian who has also bought guitars from the USA.
I picked up a 1996 Taylor 422 Quilted Maple.
Unlike your Gibson, this guitar is in superb, unmarked condition but I quickly discovered the smaller Grand Concert size body presented tonal limitations and I just can't bond with it.
I like the tonal depth of a dread but really love jumbo guitars.
I tried many different brands and types of strings but the result is always the same to my ears.
2 weeks ago I put on a set of 'octave' strings from a used 12-string set and this little guitar sounds unbelieveably good. Totally changed it for me, can't put it down.
Go figure.
It's called a Nashville "high strung" tuning I believe. Never tried it. Sounds like fun on a small guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion