The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-06-2024, 08:58 PM

Default Neck Reset Advice Needed

Hi
I am working out my self repair skills on an older Hondo dreadnought. After addressing all parts of the setup I noticed that the strings sit too high at the twelfth fret.

At closer inspection, it was apparent that the neck where it connects/overlaps the body was angling down, relative to the rest of the body, meaning that the overall neck tilts up from a straight line with the bridge. It has not cracked the body nor is it apparent that the bracing has come loose underneath. The brace at the neck runs at a right angle to the neck and is solid. Additionally, there is a second, smaller , wider brace closer to the neck joint filling in the remaining space to the neck joint. An addition possibly from a previous owner.

There is a hairline separation at the heel but not any separation along the length of the joint, not enough to explain the 9/100 inch increase above standard in string height at the 12th fret.

When I run a straight edge along the neck to the bridge, the bottom of the edge is below the lip of the bridge, confirming the upward tilt of the neck.

Not sure what my next step is. Humidify and try to lift the neck area near the soundhole? Reset neck completely? Would like to avoid that if possible.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Paul
Old 04-06-2024, 11:24 PM

Sounds like a neck reset, which is probably difficult on that guitar as it is probably glued with epoxy or similar and probably doesn't have a dovetail. There are alternative methods that are discussed here on the forum, so if you're up for it, search for alternative neck reset. Otherwise sand the saddle down as far as you can and live with it. I have a few guitars that are like that and it has held up well, as the neck doesn't move anymore.
Old 04-07-2024, 03:28 AM

Are you measuring action from top of fret to bottom of string, at .185? Standard is usually 6/64" or .094", playable high action usually maxes out at .125"

Slight separation at heel might just be a joint fit issue or could be neck loose? Loosen strings and see if the separation closes if you push on neck. Check if its bolt on neck, (probably not) tighten bolts?

Further steps are to sand down saddle and or bridge but 9/100" is a long way to go, saddle height would need to come down 9/50"/ .180" which is like 3/16".

I've tightened the neck on a budget guitar by putting a 2 inch #10 oval head bolt through the heel with a nut /washer on the neck block end. I disguised the bolt repair by using it to attach a strap button at the same time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair