The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-08-2017, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Default K&K Pure pre-amp vs. XLR version

Hi all, I have K&K pure mini pick-ups in a couple of my guitars, and am planning to purchase a K&K preamp. Do folks have an opinion on whether and under what circumstances the XLR version would be worth the $80 or so additional expense? In terms of gigging, we're talking mainly coffee houses and open mics. Thanks, Mike
Old 11-09-2017, 02:06 AM

Having the XLR means you can run a longer cable to your mixer without loss of signal. It also sends a balanced signal. Worth the extra IMO

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 11-09-2017, 04:01 AM
Charter Member

Agreed. Also, the small one on a belt clip always made me nervous about banging into and scratching my guitar when I had it. Heck I might still have it somewhere. Yikes.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInBethesda View Post
Hi all, I have K&K pure mini pick-ups in a couple of my guitars, and am planning to purchase a K&K preamp. Do folks have an opinion on whether and under what circumstances the XLR version would be worth the $80 or so additional expense? In terms of gigging, we're talking mainly coffee houses and open mics. Thanks, Mike
I use the Pure (no xlr) for most gigs, as it conveniently attaches to my belt. Unless you're 30 feet or more from the board (sometimes less if there's noisy lighting) you don't really need the DI. I use a short cable (2m) between the guitar and preamp. I also have a Whirlwind IMP-2 that I'll put between it and the board if I think I need to. But it works fine for 99% of what I do.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Another vote for the non-XLR one. All you really need for a coffee shop. I love that I can clip it to my right front pants pocket as it gives me instant access to volume control and EQ on the fly if I need it.

Most times I just clip it to my amp's handle and run it that way. I connect using a relatively low-end wireless system (X-vive X2) and I can walk all over the place with no cables. Great little system, battery lasts a wicked long time as long as you remember to unplug it from the correct side.

If I need balanced DI output for distances I use a Red Eye. (Note: I have yet to need that for any coffee house or any other gig I play.)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification