The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-09-2024, 12:53 PM

Default Acoustic Amps with phantom power?

I have a condenser mic that I'd like to use in a small group situation and wondered if there was a relative inexpensive acoustic combo amp that has phantom power to drive a condenser mic? (I believe it needs 48 in power, though I can't get my hands on the mic at the moment) I've searched but don't think I've found anything yet.

The reason I'd like to use the condenser is that my wife and I lead a uke club in a retirement home, so it would be two ukes and two voices sharing the mic. Right now I bring a small PA but looking to reduce carrying load overall if possible. I do have a small mixer that has phantom power but dragging that along with power cord etc would kind of defeat the purpose.

Thanks
Old 05-09-2024, 01:29 PM

LR Baggs Synapse has phantom power.
Old 05-09-2024, 01:38 PM

The Bugera AC60 has phantom power. Very reasonable price too.

It looks like a close copy of an AER. Seems to get good reviews. I nearly bought one myself.
Old 05-09-2024, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

Been thinking about getting one of these myself. Seems to check all your boxes

https://www.amazon.com/Coolmusic-Aco...1zcF9hdGY&th=1
Old 05-09-2024, 10:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonix View Post
The Bugera AC60 has phantom power. Very reasonable price too.

It looks like a close copy of an AER. Seems to get good reviews. I nearly bought one myself.
I have a Bugera and love it. It's basically a ripoff of the AER 60 Compact 60. I don't use it for gigging now because I've moved on to PAs mainly in the EV Evolve/Everse line, but a friend liked mine so much she bought it from me and uses it for small gigs and as a monitor for larger ones. Ridiculous value for the price.

(I bought another after she bought mine because why not)
Old 05-10-2024, 04:06 AM

The Elite Acoustics D6-8 Pro a D6-58 have phantom power (and every other feature you might possibly want).
Old 05-10-2024, 05:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icuker View Post

The reason I'd like to use the condenser is that my wife and I lead a uke club in a retirement home, so it would be two ukes and two voices sharing the mic.
Have you tried using your mic through the mixer you have with the setup you plan to use? Sounds like your condenser is an omnidirectional mic.. If so, check the frequency response. Many of these mics grab up to 20,000 Hz. If you get feedback up in this area it can be a very unpleasant situation.

Try the set up with that mic capturing all the sources you intend with the PA at the volume you want to use set in the place you intend. If it works, then you might confidently search for that new amp. If not, then you won’t have wasted money on something you can’t use.
Old 05-10-2024, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icuker View Post
I have a condenser mic that I'd like to use in a small group situation and wondered if there was a relative inexpensive acoustic combo amp that has phantom power to drive a condenser mic? (I believe it needs 48 in power, though I can't get my hands on the mic at the moment) I've searched but don't think I've found anything yet.

The reason I'd like to use the condenser is that my wife and I lead a uke club in a retirement home, so it would be two ukes and two voices sharing the mic. Right now I bring a small PA but looking to reduce carrying load overall if possible. I do have a small mixer that has phantom power but dragging that along with power cord etc would kind of defeat the purpose.

Thanks
There are many small phantom power supplies that you can use. It's another small piece of gear to keep track of, but it lets you use any amp you want. As an example, this xVive P1 device is small, rechargeable, and supplies power for hours between charges. This type of unit would also work well for buskers who want to use a condenser mic with a battery powered portable amp where there was no AC available.

XVive P1 portable phantom supply @ Sweetwater

Last edited by Rudy4; 05-10-2024 at 07:19 AM.
Old 05-10-2024, 07:25 AM

I thought any amp or mixer that takes XLR cables has phantom power. No?

=O.
Old 05-10-2024, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
I thought any amp or mixer that takes XLR cables has phantom power. No?

=O.
No. Not only that, but I have an older powered mixer that has phantom power - but it is not 48v. Gotta check the specs on everything
Old 05-10-2024, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
No. Not only that, but I have an older powered mixer that has phantom power - but it is not 48v. Gotta check the specs on everything
Yeah, the big Loudbox amps that actually have phantom power only have 24V, and the open mic I go to frequently used to have a Peavey PA with 12V! Your mic may work with 24V, or not, as the mic industry largely settled on 48V a while ago, though reading the specs is where to start.

(I don't really think having phantom power on an acoustic amp is required, especially on entry models - nice that at least Bugera fills that void; but why Fishman insists on continuing with 24V is a mystery, and that's being considerate...)
Old 05-10-2024, 08:37 AM

Yeah, good point on trying a condenser mic with our sound system first. I've used it in performances areas with the club (using it for the back row of players) and it worked fine but those were usually bigger rooms. The bugera and cool music amps look real interesting and great price too. And both seem light enough to lug around. I was in a music store looking at some amps (they didn't have phantom), boy they were heavy for such little things.

Thanks for the input and feel free to feedback more, I'll be watching the thread.
Old 05-10-2024, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

LB Artist has phantom power but know that for reasons I can't explain, it's 24 v. When I've used it with cheap condenser mics they worked fine but I can't imagine that it's ideal.
Old 05-10-2024, 05:40 PM

Add a phantom power box for under $75.00 and keep what you are already using for a PA.
Sweetwater has several choices.
Old 05-11-2024, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
LB Artist has phantom power but know that for reasons I can't explain, it's 24 v. When I've used it with cheap condenser mics they worked fine but I can't imagine that it's ideal.
Here's a quote directly from the Shure website:

"The worldwide standard for phantom power is 11 to 52 volts of DC (typical studio mics run on 48v). Your preamp will typically have a button labelled 48v, which allows you to turn this on/off. However, some older mixers and cheaper audio interfaces may not have phantom power."

In non-critical consumer applications phantom power is often less than 48v and mics and other equipment requiring phantom power generally work fine.

Some of my friends who have Fishman amps use their phantom power, totally oblivious to the lower voltage. I'm not telling them...

Here's what Fishman says about 24v phantom power on their website:

"Why do some Fishman amps feature 24 volt phantom power?
The Loudbox Artist and Loudbox Performer use a 24v high current phantom power supply standard that allows users to operate condenser microphones and other devices requiring phantom power without issue. In many cases, the high current standard provides increased power and stability than 48v sources."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification