The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-09-2024, 03:26 PM

Default colonoscopy and endoscopy

Hi ;I had both of these done today. Kind of wiped out now. They found some polyps in my colon ,they think they look ok but will do a biopsy. the endo found a hiatel hernia ,i didn't know i had. and Barretts esphocus[which i knew i had]... are these hiatal hernias common? thanks.
Old 04-09-2024, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
Hi ;I had both of these done today. Kind of wiped out now. They found some polyps in my colon ,they think they look ok but will do a biopsy. the endo found a hiatel hernia ,i didn't know i had. and Barretts esphocus[which i knew i had]... are these hiatal hernias common? thanks.
They are certainly not uncommon.
Old 04-09-2024, 05:28 PM

Common enough. But the good news is you now have a baseline and can take steps to minimize any complications. Diet will be a key factor going forward. You might even want to keep a food diary of everything you ingest. Then you can correlate your diet with any symptoms.
Old 04-09-2024, 10:38 PM

Fun stuff, eh?I had both done about a month ago. I had no polyps, but they found a couple ulcers. I thought that was interesting.
Old 04-10-2024, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

Fairly common.

I had the same thing done some time back. I was experiencing some GERD issues so they decided to kill two birds with one stone. I have a humorous story on mine. I'm on the table getting prepped and the doc tells me what he's going to do - mouth first, then the backside. I made the joke to make sure he used the correct hose for each and that I was glad he was doing the endo first just in case. He didn't think it was all that funny I guess as he made some sort of comment that he'd done this many, many times. Whatever.

So they've got the hose 'guide' in my mouth and we're ready to go and the doc nods to the anesthesiologist to 'hit me' with the drugs to put me under. I immediately get that great warm and fuzzy sensation but I don't go under. The doc says to the crew, "Ok, here we go..." and starts heading the hose towards my mouth to which I say, "Ahhh... Still awake here!" which sounded funny with the hose guide in my mouth, of course. The doc freezes in place, looks at me, then looks at the anesthesiologist and says, "Hit him again."

Second wave of warm and fuzzy hits and then I wake up after the procedure. Apparently, it takes a bit extra juice to put me under.
Old 04-10-2024, 07:45 PM

Had my second 10yr colonoscopy last week, results came in this week. I am now on the 3yr plan.

So thankful for access to skilled healthcare professionals and insurance.

I’ve been reading about diet and polyps, encourage everyone to be informed. More veggies, less meat and processed/fried food.
Old 04-10-2024, 11:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Fairly common.

I had the same thing done some time back. I was experiencing some GERD issues so they decided to kill two birds with one stone. I have a humorous story on mine. I'm on the table getting prepped and the doc tells me what he's going to do - mouth first, then the backside. I made the joke to make sure he used the correct hose for each and that I was glad he was doing the endo first just in case. He didn't think it was all that funny I guess as he made some sort of comment that he'd done this many, many times. Whatever.
Probably difficult to make a poop joke they haven't heard before ;-
Old 04-11-2024, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
Probably difficult to make a poop joke they haven't heard before ;-
Especially because it would be likely deleted by this (or another) moderator. There’s no need to go there.

Rick - AGF Moderator
Old 04-11-2024, 06:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Especially because it would be likely deleted by this (or another) moderator. There’s no need to go there.

Rick - AGF Moderator
I think he meant making those jokes to those doctors during those procedures...
Old 04-11-2024, 06:22 AM

Quote:
True. I can live with that. The morning coffee hadn’t quite kicked in at the time of my comment.
Old 04-11-2024, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Fairly common.
I'm on the table getting prepped and the doc tells me what he's going to do - mouth first, then the backside. I made the joke to make sure he used the correct hose for each and that I was glad he was doing the endo first just in case. He didn't think it was all that funny I guess as he made some sort of comment that he'd done this many, many times. Whatever.
NEVER tell doctors how to do their job, especially right before you're about to go under. They may not realize it was a joke and then you are at their mercy. My wife is an OR nurse and you wouldn't believe the stories she tells me about what happens while a patient is under.
Old 04-11-2024, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, that is what I meant! No offense intended.
Old 04-11-2024, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
Yes, that is what I meant! No offense intended.
And I apologize for misinterpreting the comment.

Most every doc I know takes the job very seriously. They are on a tight schedule and are under intense pressure not to miss anything. You can imagine why. So generally, they are not in a joking mood.

Colonoscopies and endoscopies in the 21st century are nothing short of amazing in what can be seen and what can be done through a thin, flexible tube. Ditto for catheterizations and laparoscopic procedures.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic