The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-21-2023, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBD View Post
That may be extra greasy but it definitely helps me if my finger tips are not super dry. I’m guilty of the forehead rub to get a little oil.
Works for me and doesn't take coffee breaks!
Old 11-21-2023, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I will restate my comments from the yes-versus-no arguments over oiling a fretboard.

Some people claim the oil on the skin is good enough. A comment was made to get oil off your forehead.

The reality is that sweat is mostly water with some lactate, some minerals, urea and ammonia. It is not oil. It's is more like weak urine.

Sweat from your hands (or forehead) doesn't "oil" anything. It just pees on it.
I didn't notice anyone confusing sweat with skin oil. Foreheads and noses are oily — more for some people than others. I do agree with you, though, that your skin isn't an optimal choice.

For what it's worth, I oil rosewood fretboards once in a while when the strings are off. Don't remember the brand I use. If you're not a luthier or collector, one little bottle is enough for a lifetime.
Old 11-21-2023, 03:49 PM

My hands naturally contain too much oil.

As much as I like to glide on the strings, I need a minimum amount of traction.

Whenever I used to get lax about washing off the oil, my strings would go bad in half the time.

Dust doesn't seem to stick very well in the absence of oil, allowing me to wipe it off.

I have used Guitar Hands, developed by a medical professional.
Although it feels like it would deliver tons of oil onto the strings, somehow the formulation avoids the gunky feeling.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 11-21-2023, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
I didn't notice anyone confusing sweat with skin oil. Foreheads and noses are oily — more for some people than others. I do agree with you, though, that your skin isn't an optimal choice.

For what it's worth, I oil rosewood fretboards once in a while when the strings are off. Don't remember the brand I use. If you're not a luthier or collector, one little bottle is enough for a lifetime.

same i use clarinet bore oil

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 11-21-2023, 04:59 PM

Gunk that builds up the windings of the strings makes them stiffer and denser in those spots. The slight 'lumpiness' in what are supposed to be uniform strings throws off the overtones and damps out the sound. It's a major cause (along with corrosion) of 'dead' strings. Grease and oil tend to hold dirt, so you want to avoid getting them on the strings. An alcohol wipe should help get rid of oils.
Old 11-21-2023, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

As an FYI - I use Guitar Hands which is a hand cleaner that you put on your hands, rub in gently, wait a minute or two and wipe off thoroughly. It is great in the winter when the air is drier. Keeps my skin/hands feeling great, keeps my calluses from cracking, and leaves no residue on the strings.
Some folks use a product like Fast Fret on their strings but I have not heard of people using oil per se.
Best,
Jayne
Old 11-21-2023, 07:27 PM

Depends on what you want out your playing and strings. I mean, if your hands are nasty, then definitely wash them. But if you are planning on adding an oil based lubricant after, then there really isn't a point if your hands are just oily but otherwise clean. If they are too oily, a good wipe down with a paper towel will suffice.

If you are trying to preserve your strings, then you should always wash and don't use oil of any sort as a lubricant. Oil attracts and binds dirt and dust.

Regardless of which you end up using and preferring, you do want to use a small amount of oil on the fretboard once or twice a year. You don't want a lot, and it shouldn't accumulate. It will help clean it and also seal the wood so it doesn't gain or lose moisture as much as an unsealed board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12FanMan View Post
-------------------------------------------------------------
"Why would you wash your hands “to keep gunk from accumulating” then put “gunk” (oil…other than natural body oil) on your newly washed fingers?"

Why? For the same reason some kid flips off a state trooper and tries to outrun the police radio. Novices can be dangerous,

Try to remember a lot of the people on this forum are (like me) novices. Asking questions, even if ill-informed, is a good thing...at least for them. A novice who hides out in the shadows for fear of asking a "dumb question," remains a novice.

No one starts out an expert. Even the best expert had to have SOMEone correct his early misconceptions.

Nobody starts out an expert, but then there are certain things that just shouldn't need to be explained (and yet they somehow still escape so many people)....

Me: Yeah, I don't want this food. I watched you touch money, your face, the register, and then my food. That's not sanitary.

Fast Food Worker: But I'm wearing gloved.

Me: Yes, but it has been the same pair the whole time.

FFW: Yeah, they make sure I don't touch your food directly or cross contaminate from the money I handle.

Me: (Thinking: Today is the day I finally blow and go to prison...)
Old 11-21-2023, 08:18 PM

I gotta say, I tried the whole face oil thing after ready this thread over the past couple days and it’s fantastic. I have really dry calloused fingers to point of cracking at times. I’m in the drywall business so that explains it. I sometimes file the callous’s with a nail file and that can help too. But the oil on the finger tips is great. Just enough to give a little moisture where fretting strings from the get go seems a bit more comfortable.
Old 11-21-2023, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Smile I think this often…

Hey 67goat

Hahahahah

Blowing a fuse!

I think that more frequently than is probably wise…

Meanwhile I too have been reminded of the uses of our own personal facial grease.

I find behind my earlobes is a good source of lube.

My dad used to rub his fishing pole joint fittings on the side of his nose…. So I did too.

Slide on, gang

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 11-21-2023, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Cool Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMorse View Post
I gotta say, I tried the whole face oil thing after ready this thread over the past couple days and it’s fantastic. I have really dry calloused fingers to point of cracking at times. I’m in the drywall business so that explains it. I sometimes file the callous’s with a nail file and that can help too. But the oil on the finger tips is great. Just enough to give a little moisture where fretting strings from the get go seems a bit more comfortable.
Glad that bit of advice helped you! Like I said in my reply, I've been using this method for well over 4 decades and have found it very useful.

Personally, I like the feel of my fingers "gliding" over the strings rather than sticking, and, while "string squeak" is a part of playing the acoustic guitar, having my fingers being a bit slick assists in minimizing the squeaking!

The oil on our faces or behind the ears is NOT the same as sweat, nor should it be confused as such... playing guitar while sweating is not my favorite thing to do!

I should add that I do wipe the strings individually, after a playing session...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 11-22-2023, 07:14 AM

If you pick up the guitar and strings are a little dry and squeaky. You cant slide very well with pressure

1. Rub 1 finger on side of nose or forehead to get the oil from you face on your finger. rub finger across all strings on fretboard so as to distribute the oil evenly across the strings. Note- if you just got out the shower, you'll have very little grease on your face, otherwise I usually have plenty. It really doesn't take much

My point here is - apply it to the strings, not all you fingers. This way all strings are conditioned and you dont have a bunch of grease on your fingers

2. wipe excess oil from finger with a rag

3. At end of session, wipe down strings, neck and fretboard with rag. This will extend string life

4. I always keep a rag handy when playing. If your hands sweat while playing, it can impede movement on the back of the neck. If I feel moisture building up, I dry my hands with the rag and wipe down the back of the neck

5. Dont play your guitar with dirt on your hands. Obviously just wash your hands if they dirty
Old 11-22-2023, 10:28 PM

I'm using Magma flat strings now. They are very slick, so much that my fingers tend to creep forward on the string, over the fret, if I'm not careful. If I oiled the strings, I wouldn't be able to play anything. It would be a finger slip-n-slide. Catching the strings would be like catching a greased pig!

Really nice strings - BTW.
Rogue Resonator (kindling)
Old 11-24-2023, 06:56 AM

I've been using Magma Flat Phosphor Bronze strings too.
I prefer 10 - 48 set. There great sounding strings that last,
and never any string squeak.
Ground and polished to a very smooth finish,
they're slick enough without additional lubricants.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

Last edited by 121; 11-24-2023 at 07:09 AM.
Old 11-24-2023, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastbound View Post
Nose grease is best for lubing your strings. Fast Fret and string lube not so great The nose grease doesn't build up and does a better job in he long run. Ive tried all of them
Why on earth would one type of grease NOT build up and other types will? The only logical explanation I see for that is that you use much less of it when you apply it to your fingertips rather than lathering your strings with it along their entire length...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
Any oil or lotion on your fingertips will greatly reduce your ability to form tough finger tips.
This is really highly individual. I get calluses from playing nylon or pure gut strings and if I don't use some kind of balm these will build up in the corners of my nails and inevitably split. I don't play with nails but still play with files, to keep those calluses in check (on both hands) and apply something to the skin before and after playing. I also don't wash off oil or fat that gets on my hands while cooking with lots of soap.

Maybe I'm lucky that I like the sound of really well played-in strings but I usually go at least 6 months between string changes.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 11-24-2023, 08:04 AM

Yeah....try it and find out for yourself, or don't try it. The choice is yours. Nose grease works best for me...but I only do it when needed. Just sharing my personal experience on this particular subject

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
hands, oil, strings