The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-04-2020, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Default 00-15m pickup choice

Hey friends,

What pickup would you use in a Martin 00-15m, and why?

I have a Baggs Venue DI as well a k&k with a beltclip, and typically will play through an SA330x, Bose L1, or a house PA.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

I had a highlander IP1 in my 000-15, so exact same guitar but tiniest bit wider, it was spectacular and got compliments all the time. Plugged right into a DI, nothing really needed, and it sounded as great as the guitar did, just louder but not much of any additional unwanted character, as little as I have experienced.

Unsung hero of the under saddle game for sure.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

I guess it depends on what you're planning to do with it? Just amplify to play at home? Live gigs? Gig size? Venue size? Style of music? Loud or soft? Strumming or fingerstyle? Amplification equipment (amp or PA) used? Different pickup systems will have different sounds. Also varying levels of ease/permanence of install. And cost. Will you be installing yourself or having it done by a shop?

I was pretty much a K&K Pure Mini guy for years and that system works very well with the K&K belt clip preamp you stated you already have. Installation for first timers can be tricky with the glue. Lots of people like the HFN. Easier to install with tape or putty options so you can move it around if you mess it up or want to try to get a different tone. I was never able to get a tone I liked from the HFN. I hear Dazzo's are wonderful but installation can be tricky and best done by a pro.

Since going over to Cole Clark guitars for my gigging needs, my other guitar gets a sound hole pickup for the rare occasion it needs to be amplified. I tried several before I settled on the little known but excellent K&K Double Helix Solo. It's passive (no battery) and has an internal tone switch that allows for changing between strumming and fingerstyle which is key for me. It also had the warmest tone of all the sound hole pickups I tried.
Old 12-08-2020, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

The Cole Clarks have really good systems. A friend has their three way. But as for me, Dazzos in everything.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 12-09-2020, 08:20 PM

I just installed a LR Baggs anthem SL in my 000-15m and that pickup really married well with the guitar. Very balanced and clean tone that I do not have to eq much.

Gibson J-15 Walnut Burst

PRS Custom 24 S2
Old 12-13-2020, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Hey Sal,

Seems like a great guitar for blues and fingerstyle... I would try a DeArmond Tone Boss soundhole/mag. It is truly plug n play, easy to dial in nice tone, no batteries, has volume control, very light weight and looks cool imo. I have one in my D18 and like it a lot.

eric
Old 12-13-2020, 04:20 PM

I don't like putting a battery in an instrument. I use passive SBT's in everything from fiddles to mandolins to banjos, guitars and upright bass. I prefer JJB.

I either plug into a HI Z input channel or use a RedEye.
Old 12-14-2020, 05:03 AM
Charter Member

Thank you all
Old 12-18-2020, 04:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
Hey Sal,

Seems like a great guitar for blues and fingerstyle... I would try a DeArmond Tone Boss soundhole/mag. It is truly plug n play, easy to dial in nice tone, no batteries, has volume control, very light weight and looks cool imo. I have one in my D18 and like it a lot.

eric
Eric. I now have the Tone Boss. Sounds great. Baggs Venue DI the conduit. Easy choice and thank you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification