The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-19-2023, 08:50 PM

Default Straight vs Angled Cable Jack

I have used instrument cables with straight jacks for twenty years simply because early on I heard angled jacks were more likely to have problems. I’ve never questioned that until now. I would love any advice from the group.

Thank you,
Nathan
Old 12-19-2023, 08:55 PM

I use an angled one on my Takamine several times each week at church. I just like the idea of the cable hanging straight down instead of sticking out several inches in a straight line even though I've seen that hundreds of times in videos and on stage and it seems to be ok. Personal preference, I guess.

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 12-19-2023, 08:59 PM

I have both. As long as you are using quality jacks it doesn't make a difference, whatever works best for you.

I often prefer right angle plugs because it puts a whole lot less stress on a jack if the cable gets accidentally stepped on.
Old 12-19-2023, 09:26 PM

Neither straight nor angled plugs (jacks are the female connections on your guitar and amp) are inherently better or more reliable.

In the USN one of my jobs as an electronics technician was making up cables for nuclear instrumentation. So now I make up my own TS and TRS 1/4" cables, XLR cables and 3.5 mm cables as a well as various adapters.

They main thing is use good quality connectors and cable. You don't need to pay for Monster or Mogami, but they'll sure do the job.

The main reasons I use angled plugs for the instrument end of my cables are:

1. Less of a force amplifying lever when you bump into something, or step on your cord while in motion

2. Don't need as much clearance between the jack on the instrument and the floor if you put your guitar on a stand while plugged in.
Old 12-19-2023, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Neither straight nor angled plugs (jacks are the female connections on your guitar and amp) are inherently better or more reliable.

In the USN one of my jobs as an electronics technician was making up cables for nuclear instrumentation. So now I make up my own TS and TRS 1/4" cables, XLR cables and 3.5 mm cables as a well as various adapters.

They main thing is use good quality connectors and cable. You don't need to pay for Monster or Mogami, but they'll sure do the job.

1. Less of a force amplifying lever when you bump into something, or step on your cord while in motion

2. Don't need as much clearance between the jack on the instrument and the floor if you put your guitar on a stand while plugged in.
Wow, appreciate your wealth of information. I was just contemplating this very question last week. Good to know! My instrument hangs high from a stand so I don't have to worry about the floor clearance issue, but the other reason is noted.

2) Do you sell or have you ever sold your cables?
Old 12-19-2023, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpino View Post
Wow, appreciate your wealth of information. I was just contemplating this very question last week. Good to know! My instrument hangs high from a stand so I don't have to worry about the floor clearance issue, but the other reason is noted.

2) Do you sell or have you ever sold your cables?
Thanks, no I don't sell cables. I used to play with a guy who was very hard on his gear that I frequently repaired though.
Old 12-19-2023, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post

Yes to both of these. My reasons for using angled plugs too.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 12-19-2023, 11:14 PM

I used to use only angled jack plugs on the guitar end of my leads for the reasons mentioned above but stopped eventually stopped caring.

I still keep one handy in case of tight squeezes or careless fiddle players.

Neutrik only.
Old 12-20-2023, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

I use angled jacks, mostly because they stick out less from the guitar like other posters mentioned. I’ve never had an issue.
Old 12-20-2023, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

I always use chords with angled plugs on my acoustics. If I have to quickly sit one down on the stand during a gig, the chord doesn't get crimped between the guitar and the floor. I also feel like it isn't putting as much pressure on the jack, but that may just be in my head.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 12-20-2023, 12:23 PM

I make my own. I also leave my own at gigs and rehearsals and studios and let my own get borrowed, so I've gotten very good at making my own.

I always make mine with one angled plug because 1. Coming out of the front of my P-bass, a straight plug looks dumb, and 2. Playing my acoustic seated, I put the guitar on my "wrong" leg and a straight plug pokes into my "right" leg. Which in my case, is my right leg.

Couch Standards
Old 12-23-2023, 10:36 PM

To me, it’s all about the position of the equipment I’m plugging into. Sometimes a right angle plug fits the amp or pedal board better because it points the cable in the right direction. I use angled plugs a lot. I’ve never noticed any difference in performance from a straight plug.
Old 12-24-2023, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

I always use angled on the guitar side. Just a more natural cable flow when looping through your strap like most do. I only used molded plug ends these days. Sure, you can't 'fix' them like the old style but I also have yet to have one of the molded jack ends fail going on several years whereas the old style seemed to constantly need refurbishing.
Old 12-24-2023, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I always use angled on the guitar side. Just a more natural cable flow when looping through your strap like most do....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnote View Post
To me, it’s all about the position of the equipment I’m plugging into. Sometimes a right angle plug fits the amp or pedal board better because it points the cable in the right direction....
Yup, this right here, Nathan. The less strain one puts on an end --any type of end-- the more reliable/better longevity one gets from that cable. As others have already said, there is zero difference in reliability between straight and right angle jacks; good solder joints and clean connections are the point. Use the correct plug that is the most "relaxed," and it will reward you with countless years of gig-worthy reliability.

Edward
Old 12-24-2023, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nweekes View Post
I have used instrument cables with straight jacks for twenty years simply because early on I heard angled jacks were more likely to have problems.
This was more common in the Sixties/Seventies. There were virtually no industrial uses for angled phone (1/4 inch) jacks, so there was minimal quality control.

Manufacturing for electronic components took a huge leap in the Eighties.
The quality is far more consistent overall today.

In 2023 there is no reason to worry about angled phone plugs.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification