The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-03-2024, 06:14 PM

Default New Epiphone Inspired By Gibson Custom Collection

Among a bunch of new electrics, there are also some new Epiphone "Inspired by Gibson" acoustics.

1). A J-45 with a thermally-aged red spruce top and a v-shaped neck profile (!)
2). An SJ-200 with a thermally-aged spruce top
3). A J-180 with a thermally-aged sitka spruce top

https://gazette.gibson.com/news/epip...gibson-custom/

Could be a really interesting combo of quality and price point. I've played some really nice "Inspired By" Epiphones (and a couple not great ones), but I'm definitely interested in trying these out!

Last edited by Dok; 04-03-2024 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-03-2024, 06:50 PM
AGF Administrator

I saw a comparison video today between the "Inspired by" Banner J-45 and the actual one. As long as one tempers their expectations regarding the sonic difference between the two (which is significant), it's a cool guitar for the price ($1,199).

Old 04-03-2024, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

This is interesting to me. I like the IBG line, and especially the Hummingbird version. My main issue was the nut width and it looks like they are increasing these to a 1.72 inch nut versus the 1.69 on the standard IBG lineup. I would really like to see them give the Hummingbird ths treatment. If they do, I see a new guitar in my future.
Old 04-03-2024, 07:29 PM

I can't wait to play these! Too bad I just bought my second IBG Hummingbird. It was a mistake to sell the first one.
Old 04-03-2024, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
I saw a comparison video today between the "Inspired by" Banner J-45 and the actual one. As long as one tempers their expectations regarding the sonic difference between the two (which is significant), it's a cool guitar for the price ($1,199).
You know, I was kind of surprised at the lack of depth and body on that particular example. I've played some IBG J45s that had more, so I wonder if that indicates these models will continue to be kind of a luck of the draw sort of thing.
Old 04-04-2024, 07:04 AM

I really like Epiphones for the money.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 04-04-2024, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

A decent step up the ladder, but no substitute fro the real thing.The naming is over the top marketing. I'm trying to figure out what is custom about it. Are they being inspired by the Gibson Custom Shop?
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 04-04-2024, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
A decent step up the ladder, but no substitute fro the real thing.The naming is over the top marketing. I'm trying to figure out what is custom about it. Are they being inspired by the Gibson Custom Shop?
I'm not sure on the marketing and naming. It does have the 1.72 nut width and a higher quality top now. Not sure how they come up with names though.

As for your first statement, you are aware that Epiphone is owned by Gibson? Leaving the history of Epiphone out of the equation, Epiphone is generally seen as a cheaper variant and more accessible to people who don't want to spend $3,000 to $5,000 on a Gibson. With that being said, describing is as "no substitute for a Gibson" might be missing the point here. Why would Gibson make a guitar that is a direct competition to their own name brand, at half (or less) the price?
Old 04-04-2024, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

I didn't like the IBG J45's I played at all, these don't do anything for me either, not knocking the J45's I think it's me, I'm just not a GIbson acoustic guy. I have the Epi '59 Les Paul and it is wonderful.
Old 04-11-2024, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

I see that the SJ200 version is now available online. If anyone gets a chance to demo one of these, please post up a review on AGF.
Old 04-11-2024, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
...Why would Gibson make a guitar that is a direct competition to their own name brand, at half (or less) the price?
Can you say "Epiphone Elite/Elitist"...
Old 04-11-2024, 03:45 PM

I did get to a/b the Epiphone Hummingbird against the Gibson Hummingbird. The Gibson did sound a little better to my ears, but not 2k+ better. I might pick up the Epiphone.
Old 04-11-2024, 03:50 PM

They all look very promising, but when I go in stores to play them, they always disappoint me. Not to poop on them, but I have played them all, some multiple times, and it has been a resounding no way everytime. The SJ-200 looks amazing, but when you play them (at least the 2 different examples I have played) you will notice they weigh a metric ton, and are very, very tight sounding and quiet. Looked great, though.
2021 Martin HD-28 1935 Sunburst
2022 Martin Special 16
2003 Alvarez AJ-60e
2018 Les Paul Standard
2020 61 SG reissue
2013 Fender Mustang Bass
Old 04-11-2024, 05:43 PM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldstar View Post
They all look very promising, but when I go in stores to play them, they always disappoint me. Not to poop on them, but I have played them all, some multiple times, and it has been a resounding no way everytime. The SJ-200 looks amazing, but when you play them (at least the 2 different examples I have played) you will notice they weigh a metric ton, and are very, very tight sounding and quiet. Looked great, though.
That's been my experience as well, except for the late 2000's DR-500M and AJ-500M Masterbilts, those were some good sounding guitars.
Old 04-11-2024, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Can you say "Epiphone Elite/Elitist"...
I could be wrong, but weren't those Elite and Elitist Les Paul's still about half the price if the Gibson LP? I might be wrong.

Last edited by BoneDigger; 04-11-2024 at 07:39 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion