The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-30-2024, 08:13 PM

Default Wall hangers for guitars

I know, from people posting pics on this site , that a lot of you guys use wall hangers for your guitars. I stay away from them. I 've had two guitars fall . One ; the head stock actually broke right off. The other just dropped . Both were un salvagable. Don't think I will ever use them again. I use the floor model ones. Anyone else feel this way?
Old 03-30-2024, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

If I had the right space, I would hang guitars on the wall. I really like these hangers from American Home Furniture:

Hyla Wall Hangers

For now, I use floor stands for a couple of guitars to have them handy, but mostly keep the guitars in their cases.
Old 03-30-2024, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
I know, from people posting pics on this site , that a lot of you guys use wall hangers for your guitars. I stay away from them. I 've had two guitars fall . One ; the head stock actually broke right off. The other just dropped . Both were un salvagable. Don't think I will ever use them again. I use the floor model ones. Anyone else feel this way?
I use hangers all the time, making sure they are String Swing brand.

I don't know how an instrument would fall unless the hanger was defective or it was installed improperly.
Old 03-30-2024, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Nope - just the opposite.

If the hanger is manufactured well and installed correctly and the guitar is hung properly they are safer off the floor.

Why did yours fall?

Did the hanger fall off the wall?

Did the guitar fall off the hanger?

Were your hangers bad designs that didn't have a retainer mechanism?

Did the hanger itself break?

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-30-2024, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Smile This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I use hangers all the time, making sure they are String Swing brand.

I don't know how an instrument would fall unless the hanger was defective or it was installed improperly.
Ditto. What brand and what happened?

Your guitars are way safer on the wall with High Quality hangers and screws.

I make sure the screws are going into wood, not sheet rock.

Sorry about your bummers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 03-30-2024, 09:34 PM

I’ve been hanging guitars on String Swing hangers for probably 30 years. We’re talking everything from vintage acoustics, to big Gretsch Falcons, long scale basses, and heavy Norlin Les Pauls. Not a single problem, ever. No nitro burn, no dropped guitars, nothing. Always String Swing, always drilled and screwed directly into a stud, always with 2 long wood screws a piece.

Did your guitars get knocked off the walls or did the hangers pull out of the wall? If it pulled out of the wall, I hate to say it but it probably wasn’t installed correctly.
1972 Gibson SJ Deluxe
2019 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird Fixed Bridge

…don’t even get me started on electrics - too many to list.
Old 03-30-2024, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

I have had a dozen guitars hanging in the music room on the wall for years without incident. I had one flame top Les Paul get a little carpet cleaner on it decades ago when it was on a floor stand. As an FYI - Resolve will eat nitro. Never again on the floor stands. Too many things can happen. Cleaners, Vacuums, also people seem to more likely to pick them up off a floor stand than take them off the wall.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 03-30-2024, 10:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
Wall hangers for me.

I leave straps on all my guitars because I wander from room to room and grab them randomly (at least one stays in an alternate tuning). Can't count the dozens of times (or even hundreds) that I've caught a strap on one of those darn aluminum floor stands and tipped it over, empty of course but a PITA.

I bought a bag of 5 wall hangers for $20 off Craigslist, in a driving rainstorm, at midnight, in a Pep Boys parking lot. Seriously! No idea what brand they are, but I like how those little arms swing shut under the weight of a guitar, or even a light mandolin. Never a thought of dropping an instrument. Life is much simpler for me using wall hangers.

These brands aren't exact, but they're close enough:
https://www.sweetwater.com/c1107--Gu...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
https://www.kliqmusicgear.com/produc...anger-mahogany

I like the way hanging guitars look in my house, and that dark burst Seagull makes the colors on my digeridoo pop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7024.jpg (51.9 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7025.jpg (52.0 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7026.jpg (51.4 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7027.JPG (46.5 KB, 249 views)

Last edited by tinnitus; 03-31-2024 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-30-2024, 10:36 PM

I've used them for years and never had anything close to an issue or problem. I've always felt they were safer on the wall than on the floor.
Old 03-30-2024, 11:11 PM
Charter Member

Eyesore, condolences on those failed hangers and damaged guitars! Nobody wants that.

Guitars do look nice on a wall: dilver’s look fantastic. But my walls don’t have room (small California house). Plus, I’d need to reach over things to take down a guitar. So for me it’s Zither-style floor stands. They’re graceful, sturdy, moveable, and safe. I have two now — one mahogany and one bubinga — but as I record more I want to be able to have a third guitar handy sometimes. So I’ve just chosen the maple board for the next stand. I’ll try to work the build into my other projects in April, maybe.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 03-31-2024, 02:41 AM

I've got all my fiddles, ukulele, mandolins and guitars hanging on the wall in my climate controlled music room. The hangers are screwed into cedar ledger boards which are spax screwed into the studs.

Because of the wide range in neck widths I need hangers where the cradle arms are adjustable. I've been using a no-name brand off Amazon for over 10 years with no problems at all.

The only downside I've experienced with wall hangers or floor stand storage is dust accumulation on my instruments when I'm travelling away from home and not able to play them every day.

Steve Forbert - As We Live and Breathe
Old 03-31-2024, 04:13 AM

I use string swing hangers and am very happy with them.

I believe if they are installed correctly, you should be good to go!

Sorry for your mishaps!
Old 03-31-2024, 04:54 AM
Charter Member

Surprised that no-one has mentioned these :

HERCULES Stands GSP38WB

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HERCULES-St...ps%2C99&sr=8-6
Old 03-31-2024, 05:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
If I had the right space, I would hang guitars on the wall. I really like these hangers from American Home Furniture:

Hyla Wall Hangers
Yow! For $150 each, they’d better make me dinner too! I keep my guitars on the wall whenever humidity allows, which is mostly at our primary residence in Oregon and rarely at the places we stay during the winter in North Carolina, where the wooden guitars generally live in cases on a guest bed - there’s only a couple of them… In Oregon, I use one of these string swing units that cost less for five guitars than a single of those fancier wooden ones. I’ve never had a problem hanging guitars up there or getting them down. I guess they could come down in a bad enough earthquake, but in any earthquake that would bring that down, I think that would be the least of our problems…

-Ray

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/507...CABEgIao_D_BwE
Old 03-31-2024, 05:50 AM

I use Hercules. They lock the guitar in so it won’t come off if bumped. I have a dozen guitars hanging and have had no problems.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion