The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-25-2017, 08:39 PM

Default Low saddle height? 3/32 on a new Martin

Hi all,

I recently purchased a new Martin 00-28. I'm concerned that the saddle is low for a new guitar. I measured it, and the saddle sticks out from the bridge about 3/32. Bear in mind, the action at the 12th fret is right on spec at 3/32 on E 2/32 on e. Between the soundboard and the E string there's about 29/64. Between the soundboard and the D string it's closer to 15/32.

Here's some pictures. (I tried to embed them here, but when I previewed the post the pictures were way too big.)

http://i.imgur.com/D0183rK.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/1DfdfoR.jpg

I also performed the straight edge test and the edge catches the bridge by just a bit. The radius on the corner of the ruler catches the radius on the bridge, if that makes sense.

I realize I'm probably just being paranoid, but my return window is closing soon, and I want to be sure I didn't end up with a dud. It plays well, and it sounds good, but I've heard horror stories about Martins needing neck resets after only a few months. I'd like to avoid that if I can. What do you all think?

P.S. I'm new to the forum, so apologies if I've broken any of the etiquette here. I hate to start off with a question, but I scoured the archives and I couldn't quite find the answer I was looking for. It's been driving me nuts!
Old 05-25-2017, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

Saddle height of 3/32 is wich part of the saddle. High E, Low E, or middle?

What's the humidity where the guitar is located?

In my experience saddle height of 3/32 right in the middle is fine especially if the action is good. If 3/32 is where the bass E string is, I would say that's but low for my taste. high humidity can cause the top to belly up and can change action.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:35 PM

Here's a picture of the straight edge test. It's not very clear, but it should give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

http://i.imgur.com/Sb8MJO5.jpg
Old 05-25-2017, 09:44 PM

It's right around 3/32 in all 3 positions, but a hair lower on the e side.

I've had the guitar for a week, and the humidity has stayed between 40-57%.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artielives5 View Post
It's right around 3/32 in all 3 positions, but a hair lower on the e side.

I've had the guitar for a week, and the humidity has stayed between 40-57%.
I am going to assume I will be the minority here Saying this. Personally if it was me and you are still within the return window, I would return it. I have bought two Martins just this month alone and both had 4/32 saddle above the bridge or better with perfect action.

Some say most guitar will need a neck reset soon or later, I just don't want it to be sooner but that's just me.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:05 PM

Thanks for your take. I see what you're saying. I feel like the guitar is within specifications, but not by much. I showed it to the owner of a local guitar shop, and he didn't seem worried. He also added that most need neck resets sooner or later. He also mentioned that many golden era Martins came with shorter saddles, and that the 00-28 is sort of designed in the golden era style. He speculated that perhaps the saddle was short in keeping with the style, but he didn't seem sure.

I'm not sure what I'll do. I don't think I got a total stinker or anything, but it does seem less than ideal.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

If it's going to continue bothering you I'd say return it. I've been through similar issues and it isn't going to go away. Get something you are 100% comfortable with regardless of how trivial this may seem now.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:22 PM

I guess I wonder how much I should worry. In other words, how bad is it? If neck resets are inevitable and this means I have to do one a little earlier than normal, that's okay. If it's mostly a matter of me being nitpicky, I can get over it.

However, if it's a more serious issue, like if it's practically ready for a neck reset from day 1, then I'd want to return it.

In any case, thanks for the replies!
Old 05-25-2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
....I recently purchased a new Martin 00-28. I'm concerned that the saddle is low for a new guitar....
It seems fine.

Quote:
It plays well, and it sounds good, but I've heard horror stories about Martins needing neck resets after only a few months. I'd like to avoid that if I can. What do you all think?...
Stop with the worrying and doubt and play that great guitar. If it needs any work in your lifetime, it will get done.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:47 PM

I don't think you should worry too much.

'Optimal' string height above top is 1/2" at the D string measured at bridge, you're within 1/32 of an inch, well within tolerance.

If you enjoy the guitar, I'd stop worrying and start fretting
Old 05-26-2017, 12:47 PM

The height is fine now but it will not give you much room if you have to lower it in the future due to a change in neck angle. That is why I never buy a guitar which has a low saddle height, even if it works at the moment.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:57 PM
Guest 33123

Martin factory spec is 3/32" min to 3/16" max.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:06 PM

When you will need a neck reset is much more dependent on the stiffness of the upper bout than the initial neck angle. Don't worry, be happy.
et al
Old 05-26-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your take. I see what you're saying. I feel like the guitar is within specifications, but not by much. I showed it to the owner of a local guitar shop, and he didn't seem worried. He also added that most need neck resets sooner or later. He also mentioned that many golden era Martins came with shorter saddles, and that the 00-28 is sort of designed in the golden era style. He speculated that perhaps the saddle was short in keeping with the style, but he didn't seem sure.

I'm not sure what I'll do. I don't think I got a total stinker or anything, but it does seem less than ideal.
Sounds like perhaps you've answered your own question. I would ask you one thing though. How does it play and sound? Does it ring out like it should? Or are you getting fret buzz. I personally don't take actual measurements. I can usually tell by the eyeball test. Not saying that your way is wrong, I just do it differently. My 2 cents.

"And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain"?
Old 05-26-2017, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

This is a tough call. If you had your 12th fret action a touch lower, I'd probably say leave it be, but since it's only average at 6/64 and 4/64 and the saddle is pretty low, you don't have a lot of room left for future adjustments.

Is the neck nice and straight now? Relief < 0.007" preferably?

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion