The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-23-2011, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Default Guitar to iPad

I want to plug a guitar into my iPad, so that I can play around with GarageBand.

There are a variety of gizmos out there - Apogee Jam, Amplitube iRig, Peavey iLink and others - but none of them, based on the reviews I've read, really seem to stand out, except maybe for the Apogee.

Anyone out there have hands-on experience with any of these, or an alternative?

What I'd really like is an Alesis iO Dock, but that's a bit beyond the budget at the moment.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-23-2011, 10:06 AM

I really enjoy Amplitube. I only use it on vacation in a motel or like that, but the tones are quite decent and at least allows me to keep playing when I am not near my amps.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:17 AM

I've researched these things extensively. For messing around at home, the ipad + cheap interface seems fine, but I don't think it has the processing power needed for anything other than just home recording playing. A lot of these devices have hiccups and latency it seems.

I'm going to go with the Apogee GIO as well as a used macbook pro 2 years old my bass player is going to sell me. I know after all said and done I'll be wishing I had a regular old amp, but I like pain. I plan on using this setup live too, which could either be great or a disaster.

The GIO has unbalanced outs, which means you might need a DI to go into the PA system.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:34 AM

I read a review in a British guitar magazine yesterday. iRig is fine for the price, but Apogee is the best. The Apogee plugs into the iPod interface, while the iRig uses the headphone slot. Not all of these devices will work with all apps, so make sure you get the one that you'll need for the apps you plan to use.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Old 11-23-2011, 05:05 PM

I use the Apogee Jam with my iPhone and it works rather well. I use it along with iRealB app to practice anywhere in the house using headphones.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream” ~Mark Twain
Old 11-23-2011, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, all - much appreciated!

I think I'm going for the Apogee Jam. It's a bit more than I want to spend, but a 15% Guitar Center coupon softens the blow. I can also use it with both the iPad and my iMac, so it's not just a 'single tasker'. Right now this is just for home use, so I think it will be quite adequate.

The only bad thing is having to brave GC the day after Thanksgiving...
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification