The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-07-2011, 03:23 PM

Default Fishman SA220 Solo vs. other amps??

Have an opportunity to pick up a used Fishman Solo for $650 and wondering what experience people have had with it compared to other amps designed for acoustic and vocals. I'm playing a R Style 1. Thoughts or reviews worth reading?
Old 04-07-2011, 03:40 PM

In my opinion, it depends on what you're using it for. I spent a good amount of time over the past few months trying different amps for my Taylors. Portability was a bit of a factor since I'll be gigging with it.

The Bose portable system (L1 compact) was a nice setup and a great choice if something portable is your primary concern. However, I was not overly impressed with the sound...seemed a bit thin to me. I ended up with a Marshall AS100D. Just sounded very warm and full.

If you're looking for an amp to use at home or to mic into a PA system, I'd say it's a great choice. If you're looking for a PA replacement the Fishman or Bose might be the way to go.

Burner MS #0013
Taylor 414rce
Taylor 716ce-ltd
Cordoba 75r
Old 04-08-2011, 02:38 PM

I just got a Fishman SA220 and have been using it for about three weeks. So far I love it, and I really love the fact that it fits in it's own suitcase with wheels, and fits in the front seat of my Nissan truck. It also seems to have plenty of punch, and has feedback filters as well as onboard reverb...so I give it a really big two thumbs up.

Mah ' Crub
Old 04-08-2011, 08:12 PM

Much better, in every way, than the Bose L1...

I require a complete PA (for my trio gigs), but the Fish Stick is what I'd use if I only did solo gigs.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:16 PM

For $650 I'd jump on it
Old 04-08-2011, 08:59 PM

ammm straight...I just paid $999.99, you wont regret it, it's sleek, ominous, and won't break your back...a great piece of tech I must say. It's concise, but balzy, and you can literaly walk into a bar, rolling your PA/amp and carrying your guitar. Das it, raw...and of course a rug and a table to put your stuff on ;and mike stands and bags of cords and mikes, song lists and music stand and guitar stands and effect pedels and a looping station and extention cords, power strip, string winder, strings, harmonicas, pipes, whistles, flutes, mando, fiddle..........like I said ...just walk in...

Mah ' Crub
Old 04-09-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mah ' Crub View Post
ammm straight...I just paid $999.99, you wont regret it, it's sleek, ominous, and won't break your back...a great piece of tech I must say. It's concise, but balzy, and you can literaly walk into a bar, rolling your PA/amp and carrying your guitar. Das it, raw...and of course a rug and a table to put your stuff on ;and mike stands and bags of cords and mikes, song lists and music stand and guitar stands and effect pedels and a looping station and extention cords, power strip, string winder, strings, harmonicas, pipes, whistles, flutes, mando, fiddle..........like I said ...just walk in...

Mah ' Crub
For small gigs I walk on with the soloamp in tow, guitar in a gig bag on my back, and carrying a Soundseat with the free hand. A folding music stand fits in pouch with the stand, and music, tuner, headset mic etc., ride with the guitar. Backing tracks, when necessary, are on an iPod that velcros the the amp. Set up is maybe five minutes....can't beat it.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Here is my review: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=205343

Steve
Old 04-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasmond View Post
Have an opportunity to pick up a used Fishman Solo for $650 and wondering what experience people have had with it compared to other amps designed for acoustic and vocals. I'm playing a R Style 1. Thoughts or reviews worth reading?
You can get a NEW Fishman SA 220 SoloAmp for $750 to $850 if you catch the right sale at a big on-line dealer! I've had both the SoloAmp and Bose L1 Compact. Both are excellent acoustic guitar/vocalist amps. I give the nod to the Bose L1 Compact for its clearer and fuller tone.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 04-09-2011, 07:11 PM

I had a Bose L1 Compact for awhile. I also owned a BagAmp, and have played friends SoloAmps and have auditioned them in store, so my experience with them was the most limited.

I personally liked the sound of the Bose L1 Compact more than the SA220, particularly for vocals. I also thought it had a warmer tone, and a fuller bottom end. I ultimately parted ways with the Bose partially because I ran a cajon (box drum) into it, and it couldn't keep up. I never tried that with the SoloAmp, but my initial impression of the SA220 is that it probably is louder, but not as pleasing to the ear.

One thing, though - with the Bose Compact, I ran a small mixer with effects (actually tried it with several). I did not care for the sound without the mixer. Whatever the tone match presets they use are, I don't like them. I turned the tonematch off and went through the mixer. I used a cheap Behringer mixer ($100), a Yamaha mixer and an A&H mixer. It sounded great with all of them BUT, if I was dead set on NOT using a mixer, I'd have to choose the SA220 over L1 Compact.

The BagAmp, well, I happily paid the restocking fee to return it, if that gives you any indication.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

I have 2 Soloamps, I run a guitar and mic through one, my wife runs a yamaha keyboard and flute through the other.
Reliable, quick to setup, able to be used in fairly large bar type venues with volume to spare. Great tone.
The only thing I've noticed is they do not like a variable power source, you need to have a good surge protector when you play bars.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:49 AM

i savin for the solo amp,almost there ,just hope it can handle farmers market and small outdr gigs.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:00 PM

With all due respect (and I mean that sincerely), to my ears and those of my audience, the Bose Compact L1 really sounds much better than the Fishman SA-220.

I have both, and use the Bose exclusively for my 2-3 weekly gigs. I read all of the ABing, as well as opinions, that my forum friends post here. Because of this, I've put both units side by side several times. The Bose gets it every time.

Here's why (and it just my ears and my opinion): The Compact is much clearer, and the bass is much more predominant (regarding the bass, I think it's due to the fact that it sits on the floor, whereas the SoloAmp is on a stand).

The SoloAmp, however, has it's strong points in that it seems to have more power, it has reverb and the anti-feedback controls, and the controls are right on the front and easy to access.

All in all I always choose the Compact to gig with, as I have a pedalboard with effects and EQ so the lack of these on the Compact are more than compensated by the great sound of the Bose - at least to my ears.

Steve
Old 04-10-2011, 06:23 PM

I like and use the SA-220. The sound is more than acceptably clear and accurate, and unless your audience is conducting a live A/B comparison with another brand or type of amp while you're playing, they won't discern any relative subjective inferiority in the Fishman. The Fishman is, in my view, unbeatable for convenience - light, and easy to pack and move. It has reverb and notch filters, and has adjustable height (due to the use of an adjustable stand), which provides for flexibility in suiting the environment - you're not locked into a single dispersion height for your sound.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanJeff View Post
I like and use the SA-220. The sound is more than acceptably clear and accurate, and unless your audience is conducting a live A/B comparison with another brand or type of amp while you're playing, they won't discern any relative subjective inferiority in the Fishman. The Fishman is, in my view, unbeatable for convenience - light, and easy to pack and move. It has reverb and notch filters, and has adjustable height (due to the use of an adjustable stand), which provides for flexibility in suiting the environment - you're not locked into a single dispersion height for your sound.
This......!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification